Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: .222 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
John Van Gelder

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 04 2018 at 5:47am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

I started shooting the .222 back in the 50s a very popular caliber back in the farm country of New York state, back in those days there were lots of wood chucks and the .222 did a very nice job of thinning out the crop.

Lately most of my shooting with the .222 has been light cast bullets at targets and the occasional ground squirrel.

I was running low on brass a couple of years back, but instead of buying new .222, I started picking up .223 brass, that was lying on the ground at one of the local shooting spots, I have a RCBS .222 trim die that I run the .223s through.

One session of picking brass picking and now I have a lifetime supply of .222s.

Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

Rex

Posted: May 04 2018 at 6:11am | IP Logged Quote Rex

An old friend of mine had a .222 Remington 760 pump gun that I always liked to shoot.
Back to Top View Rex's Profile Search for other posts by Rex

Old Ranger

Posted: May 04 2018 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

So easy huh?

The cases are so close.
I use .222Rem dies with my 310 tools to load .223Rem for
my M4 clone. Great interchangeably.

Well done on revamping that 222Rem!

Monte Walsh
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

Paul B.

Posted: May 04 2018 at 3:06pm | IP Logged Quote Paul B.

Old Ranger wrote:
So easy huh?

The cases are so close.
I use .222Rem dies with my 310 tools to load .223Rem for
my M4 clone. Great interchangeably.

Well done on revamping that 222Rem!

I hear you on that. I can use my 310 .243 Win. die for .243 and 6MM
rem. Found a second .243 die set so now one is permanently set to .243
and the other to 6MM Rem. Best of both worlds.
Paul B.
Back to Top View Paul B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Paul B.

John Van Gelder

Posted: May 04 2018 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Being able to "make do" is a skill.
Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

hoghunter

Posted: May 04 2018 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote hoghunter

One to the all time great cartridges, the 222. Shot one for many years and took a bunch of ghogs.

When I finally shot the barrel out I rebarreled to 223 Rem. Get about 100 f/s more velocity and brass is much easier to find.

However it sounds like you solve the latter part of that issue. Good Job.
Back to Top View hoghunter's Profile Search for other posts by hoghunter

richhodg66

Posted: May 04 2018 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

I figured forming from .223 would be easy, wrong. I had a high failure rate, too many wrinkles in the shoulder if you didn't do it right.

I'm glad I can do it, but for me, .222 brass isn't so hard to find or expensive that I'm willing to do it.

John Van Gelder

Posted: May 05 2018 at 6:39am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Rich

I have an old Hollywood turret press, it weighs about the same amount as an anvil. It is designed to swage bullets as well as loading ammunition. Not much of a challenge to re shape the .223 into .222. Using the right amount of the right lubricant cuts down on dents.

I have had really good success with my system, the brass is free, and the oil dents pretty much go away at the first firing.

I have my dads old Remington 600 carbine, a nice little short bolt action gun, handy to pack around in the forest.

richhodg66

Posted: May 05 2018 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

Lubing seems to be the key. I also have a file trim die, and found that if I do just a tiny bit, wipe lube off, tiny bit, wipe lube off, etc, unto the shoulder is pushed back where it needs to be, I can do it, but it's a slow process. Brass for the .222 wasn't that hard to come by.

I have a Savage 340 in .222. Thus far, it has been a lousy shooter with cast, does OK with jacketed, but I haven't done enough to really tell what it'll do. I picked it up because I'm a cast shooter, and theoretically, the .222 should be the best of the .22 centerfires with cast given the long neck ,smaller case and relatively slow twist. If this one doesn't eventually get shooting well with cast, it'll move on, I have .223s that do the jacketed stuff better and my Hornets shoot cast pretty well.

I envy you that 600. I had one for a long time in 6mm I wish I still had. Neat little rifles.

John Van Gelder

Posted: May 05 2018 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Rich

There is a story that goes along with the 600. Back when I was a Trooper in Alaska, one of the posts I was stationed at was Petersburg in SE Alaska. One summer my parents came to visit from up state New York. We did all of the obligatory stuff while they were there, and one day we were in the local hardware store, which had a pretty good selection of fire arms. My dad spotted the 600 Remington and I could tell that he was interested, but did not want to part with the cash in case there were difficulties on the way back home. They had their motor home with them and came and went via the Alaska ferry system.

The day they were leaving, they got in the "holding pattern" for the ferry, I made a "speed" run back to the hardware store and bought the 600. As we were saying our good byes. I reached into my Land Cruiser pulled out the box and handed it to my dad.

Needless to say it was a success. What can I say, he taught me how to shoot and reload, the least I could do.

I still have ammunition he reloaded for that gun along with the reloading notes he made.

A real piece of family memorabilia.. j

richhodg66

Posted: May 06 2018 at 6:31am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

Nice background on the rifle. I got a bunch of my Dad's stuff last year when we moved him and mom into assisted living. quite a bit of loaded ammo and tons of bullets he had cast over the years. It's nice using his stuff. I took him shooting a few months ago at an indoor range near where he is, God how I hate places like that, but it was the best I could do. Once Summer break is here and I have the weekend time, I'll try to get him out more. Old age and a detached retina a few years ago have pretty well taken a toll on his ability to shoot, but back in the 70s and 80s, he was quite the force to be reckoned with in the Bullseye pistol shooting community with a Gold Cup or Match Target Woodsman, he was always a Colt guy.

John Van Gelder

Posted: May 06 2018 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Do as much as you can.. But when my Dad was gone I wished I could have done more..

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version