Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Hunting
 Handloads.Com Forum : Hunting
Subject Topic: Anticipation Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
M700

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 09 2018 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote M700

I gotta go fishing or something... Maybe coyote hunting.

Am waiting, none-to-patiently, for tags to be drawn, or not drawn, for Washington & Wyoming...

Meanwhile I've been reading about some of the spring bear hunts going on... I have sworn two or three times that I was done bear hunting... No, apparently not! I wasn't drawn for our spring bear season, but I sure am looking forward to the August 1st general season opener! :)

Starting to run low on wild game meat here at Camp Miner. Time to replenish the stocks. Some bear sausage and backstrap steaks would be welcome. Did you know that the backstrap steaks of a bear taste (to me anyway) like good pork chops?

Wyoming tags I've applied for are mule deer & antelope...
Gosh, I hope to draw! I love that hunt. The 25-06 and I will head east in October for that hunt, if I'm drawn.

Washington tags... Dunno what to expect. Probably nothing for the difficult to obtain "once-in-a-lifetime" bighorn sheep, mountain goat or moose tags. But maybe... Have several herds of bighorn sheep, big rams, within 30 miles of my home. One herd just a few miles north of town, and I know the area well.

Mountain goat - honestly, I'm not sure I want to draw that tag. I know where those boys live, and it's kinda scary up there on those cliffs!

Moose - if drawn, which is highly unlikely - I'm going to recruit a small army of strong backed young men to help me cut and pack it out! Likely end up hunting over near Spokane if I am ever drawn for that tag..

So... IMPATIENTLY waiting... Ya, I'd better grab the fly rod and go annoy some trout. Keep me busy for a while.

Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

M700

Posted: June 09 2018 at 7:39am | IP Logged Quote M700

Oh, and I'm hunting for elk and mule deer here in Washington with a new-to-me critter... A compound bow!

Now, I've been shooting a bow since I was a boy. Got my first bow at about 9 or 10 years of age. But this is the first time I ever shot one of these things with wheels on it! What a different kind of critter it is!

A friend wanted to sell his PSE Thunderbolt, it's about 7 or 8 years old. He hunted with it when it was new, took a couple of mule deer, then put it away. So, at a GREAT price, it's now mine. I just took it to the local archery guru and had him set up some arrows for it, do a little maintenance on the bow, and instruct me on how to use the darned thing.

It's an awful lot like shooting a regular bow, except that the arrow speed is... blistering! Wow! I swear, it's at least twice as fast as my 1970's recurve.

Surprisingly accurate. FAST. I need to get used to it, so I've been practicing a bit up at the Gun Club, where there is also an indoor and an outdoor archery range.

So... Maybe elk & deer here in Washington with the bow?

Guy

KinleyWater

Posted: June 10 2018 at 1:41pm | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

Nothing opens for me until October.

Best of luck on your draws.

joed

Posted: June 10 2018 at 5:33pm | IP Logged Quote joed

I don't know about coyote hunting, been doing it for 5 years now.
They are indeed the hardest/smartest animal I've ever hunted.   Most
of their activity is at night.    

M700

Posted: June 11 2018 at 3:33am | IP Logged Quote M700

I've been reasonably successful on coyotes over the years Joe. Usually 25-06 'em, and hunt them in the same areas where I hunt mule deer.

They often seem to think they're pretty safe out past 300 yards, but the 25-06 has proven that false a number of times.

The AR-15 does fine as well, but I haven't made any long shots on coyotes with it.

Have to admit, I haven't been after them hard in recent years, just pop one now and again as I'm wandering the area either afoot or in the Jeep.

Guy

M700

Posted: June 11 2018 at 3:41am | IP Logged Quote M700

Sometimes I just hunt 'em with the camera. That seems to work just fine as well.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version