Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
General Discussion
 Handloads.Com Forum : General Discussion
Subject Topic: Every dog deserves a bear rug! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
M700

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 10 2018 at 5:51pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Taken today while I was reading Sports Afield:

I took the bear here in Washington in 2010, with the 375 Number One rifle. Bear is a dark chocolate, really a beautiful hide, a bit over 6' squared. Clark has always just looked at it now and again, but not until this year did I start finding dog hairs on the bear rug...

He's been very gentle with the rug. He doesn't paw at it when he lays down for a nap. Doesn't chew on it. Just hangs out on the rug, very peacefully.

Doesn't every hunting dog deserve his own bear rug?

Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

LAH

Posted: July 12 2018 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote LAH

Dog looks happy.

John Van Gelder

Posted: July 20 2018 at 6:22am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Lots of the brown phase bears here, had one in here last
week that was nearly blonde.
Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

M700

Posted: July 21 2018 at 9:56am | IP Logged Quote M700

Yes, the northwest in general seems to have a lot of black bears, in different colors.

My son's first bear, here in Washington, 2010.

Three hunters, three bears in two days. Two were shot within 5 minutes and a quarter mile of each other:

The same bear rug my dog likes, in different light. Color looks quite a bit different. Not the greatest photos of this bear rug, it's really nicely done, and a bit over 6' long. Pretty typical of the size of adult male bears where I hunt.

Dang... Now I'm getting kind of excited about bear season... :) I hadn't really gotten very worked up about it this year.

Guy

John Van Gelder

Posted: July 22 2018 at 5:52am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Guy

Do you eat those bears..?

I must be getting old, I like the bear hides on the bears better than the floor.

I am in the dry season here and my spring is a real draw for the wild things, I spent part of my day getting a siphon going from the spring to deliver water further down my ravine, below the house, hoping the bears, etc., could get a drink with out coming to the attention of my dogs.

Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

M700

Posted: July 22 2018 at 10:44am | IP Logged Quote M700

Yup, we like the bear sausage, and if cooked nicely, the backstrap steaks taste better than good pork chops!

Although the season opens in August for my area of Washington, I usually wait until September for bear hunting. They feed on the berry bushes and get a real nice flavor to their meat. Haven't had a bad one yet.

In recent years I've been trying my hand a using a predator call... That has produced some very interesting results! I haven't shot a bear that I've called in yet, but came real close one time. That bear showed up with an attitude! If he'd been either a little bigger, or a little more aggressive, he'd have caught a 170 gr soft point from the ol' 30-30 at about 15 yards! He came in looking to kill & eat something. Wasn't sure what to do when he found my buddy and I instead of a hurt deer.

He actually didn't leave the area... He backed off when we had our little 15-20 yard stand-off, but kept prowling around the woods near us, convinced that there was something in the area to eat. We left, hiking about 3 miles back to the Jeep. I stayed as "tail end Charlie" and kept my head on a swivel, worried a bit about him deciding to try us. Was a fun hike! :) I've made that same hike in the dark too, with a backpack full of fresh venison... Knowing that bear & cougar frequent the area.

That too was a fun hike! There were three of us, and my oldest son hadn't brought a flashlight, so we kept razzing him about wolves & bears tracking us by the blood scent. He could only see what we illuminated with our headlamps. I don't think Josh enjoyed that hike out too much...

Guy

John Van Gelder

Posted: July 23 2018 at 6:06am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

I ate some barren ground grizzly in Alaska, that was excellent, the only thing I know of that makes the meat un palatable is when they have been feeding on old decomposed salmon.

I never had a bad black bear. Waiting until berry season is the best time, those blue berry fed black bears are better eating than almost anything.

I was camped out, up in the national forest with a friend of mine from Kennewick, and one of my hunter ed instructor friends. I was making breakfast, cooking the meat and eggs, the "Kennewick man" (there is an inside joke there), was waxing most eloquently, being a lawyer, about how terrible bear meat was, while complementing me on the breakfast meat. After he was done eating, I asked him if he would make a guess as to the nature the meat.

With a leading question like that he knew...!

One of my trooper friends, that I had know since grade school back in NY, shot a nice big black tail buck up on the side of a mountain on Kodiak Island, he came back to camp, down near the beach, and got me and our other NY friend to go and retrieve the meat before dark. It was about a four mile hike bake up the mountain, the light was going fast, the terrain on Kodiak is brutal in places to say the least, alder thickets, devils club stands and some pretty rough rock climbing to get to where he shot the deer.

By the time we had the meat, divided up and loaded into our packs, it was dark. Two of us had 742 Remingtons, I had a 10 rond magazine in mine with 220 gr bullets. Our other friend had a Ruger 7mm magnum, which was unloaded, because on the hike up it had decided to fire of it's own accord.

That was one of the longest hikes of my life..one place along the route back down there was a narrow section of a game trail, up against a cliff face, one point on the trail had a gap, where you could look down about 200 feet to a white water stream, flowing down the side of the mountain.

We made it back to camp, an old fisherman's cabin on the beach, without incident. The next day one of the guys ran into a big near in the alders near the cabin, the same thicket we came through the night before.

It looks like you have the gun bear hunting figured out now on to the bow.. I have a very nice 70# custom take down long bow,(actually a reflex/deflex bow), that I would lend you..   

M700

Posted: July 23 2018 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Appreciate the offer, but no, I've got a couple of hunting bows of my own.

Nothing as nice as yours, just a 1970's Hoyt take-down recurve that I bought new, and a fairly new PSE compound that I'm learning to like.

Guy

turbo1889

Posted: July 23 2018 at 10:23pm | IP Logged Quote turbo1889

Bear rugs are nice, but at least in my
area the bears are heavily infested with
flees, ticks, . . . And handling,
cleaning, and skinning them is a serious
problem and even with taking precautions
one like taping ones coat sleeves closed
at the wrist you will still end up
cleaning dozens of ticks off oneself in
the shower afterwards that try to migrate
from the dead bear to you as the fresh
host.

Is there similar issues with bears for you
guys in other parts of the country and
have any of you found a good solution?
Last time I went bear hunting a couple
years back I packed a full body Tyvex suit
like they use for removing asbestos in my
hunting pack, didn't end up scoring a bear
so didn't get a chance to try it out and
see if it worked but that was the plan.

To the most serious charge of "ARMING WOMEN" I plead guilty on multiple counts.
Back to Top View turbo1889's Profile Search for other posts by turbo1889

John Van Gelder

Posted: July 24 2018 at 5:56am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Turbo

The last mt lion I shot was loaded with ticks, that cat had so many ticks that I think I did him a service by shooting him.

John Van Gelder

Posted: July 24 2018 at 6:01am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Guy

It really levels the playing field getting close enough to take a bear with a bow or a handgun..

Nice looking bears, they Washington bears or from someplace else?

M700

Posted: July 24 2018 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote M700

All my black bears were from Washington. Only the grizzly was from Alaska.

Ya, I've followed up two black bears wounded by others. One my hunting partner killed with his 44 revolver at about 12' and another I killed with my 375 H&H at about the same range. Those were wounded bears though, the first shots were at more normal rifle distances.

That hunting partner of mine has taken several black bear, and a moose, here in Washington with his bow. Quite a few whitetail deer as well. He's one heck of a hunter!

Guy

John Van Gelder

Posted: July 24 2018 at 12:05pm | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Guy

My biggest trophy was a bull water buffalo I shot with a recurve bow in the Northern Territory of Australia.

Being a Washington boy, I thought you might have caught "Kennewick Man", comment.

M700

Posted: July 24 2018 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote M700

I did. Sorry I didn't comment on it.

That turned out to be a long, legal fight.

For those who may not know:

"Kennewick Man" - ancient human remains discovered in Washington. Long danged legal fight about what do do with them.

If you're bored, it's worth a google search.

Guy

John Van Gelder

Posted: July 24 2018 at 3:21pm | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

The anthropologist that was in the middle of that is a good friend of mine.

The most interesting facet of that case is that it proved that humans traveled a lot further in pre-history than we had previously thought.

And the reconstruction looked like Patrick Stewart..

getsmart

Posted: August 02 2018 at 9:57am | IP Logged Quote getsmart

I don't let my dog on my rug, but my daughter likes it.

M700

Posted: August 02 2018 at 10:05pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Very cool. :)

John Van Gelder

Posted: August 10 2018 at 7:15am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

I saw one of my rugs this morning while out making my morning rounds. Probably a female, she was backed up against a tree, making a big fuss, most likely cub/s in the tree, did not want to get close enough to see.

This one was marked like an elk, very dark head and neck, with a light brown/tan body.

M700

Posted: August 10 2018 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote M700

Nice! Love seeing all the different colors and markings!

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version