Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Handguns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Handguns
Subject Topic: pellet gun Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
John Van Gelder

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 13 2018 at 6:29am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

I have been having a lot of fun loading for the 9mm. It is cheap entertainment.. One of my goals was to come up with a small game, casual plinking load.

The draw back of the auto pistol is that they tend to throw brass off into the deep grass, making it difficult to find at best.

Back when I was carrying a .45 auto to hunt with, I would load up a magazine full of "squib" loads, using a round ball and a small charge (3 grn) of BE. Not really my idea, I found this load in an old Speer manual, they were listed at just under 600 fps.

These loads worked well on small game, were more effective than .22lr, and less destructive, the best part being they would not function the action, so you did not have to hunt for the brass.

I have some light weight bullets for the .38/357, but they are wad cutters, and just do not feed from the magazine.

I found a bullet that when loaded into the 9mm case is long enough to feed out of the magazine, they have a fairly large meplat so should be good for small game shooting.

I ordered a double cavity mold, the Lee TL 356-95-RF

I cast up about fifty of those, and they sure look like airgun pellets. I dumped them into a container and tumble lubed them. My first load was 2.5 grn of BE, because that was the lowest setting on my old Hollywood powder measure.

I shot several of those through my chronograph, they averaged 700 fps, accuracy is adequate for small game ranges, they feed from the magazine, manually, cycling rate is about on a par with a bolt action rifle and the cases are easy to find.

While I had the chronograph set up, I shot some of my .45 round ball loads. I had those loaded with 3.5 grn., of Clays, they averaged 560 fps, definitely short range loads, that same load behind my 200 grn. RNFP bullet produced 750 fps average, functioned reliably and dropped the cases within 3' of my right foot.

Grouse season is rapidly approaching and I am anxious to see how the 9mm pellet gun loads work out.

Edited by John Van Gelder on July 13 2018 at 6:30am
Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

REM1875

Posted: July 13 2018 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote REM1875

John
I really like the looks of that one ....
Looks like a dandy for 38spl light loads too.....
Back to Top View REM1875's Profile Search for other posts by REM1875

mikld

Posted: July 13 2018 at 8:45am | IP Logged Quote mikld

Excellent post. I'm thinking I might have to run some of
my .44 cal balls, shot outta my Wrist Rocket, through my
chrony. They might be close to your 560 fps 45 load...

John Van Gelder

Posted: July 13 2018 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

mikld

I have a story about slingshots and chronographs.. I have a couple of .54 cal rifles, and a fair number of round balls for those guns.

I also have a fairly powerful homemade slingshot, I was averaging about 164 fps with the 250 grn balls, I was trying for a five shot average, at shot four, I nailed the display on my chronograph.

When I sent it back to the folks at "Chrony" they did not bat an eye when I explained what happened, they had heard it all.
Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

John Van Gelder

Posted: July 13 2018 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

REM1875

I got that specifically for the 9mm. I have a 77gr. wadcutter and a 115 grn wadcutter that work nicely in my .38/357 revolvers.

The 77 grn wadcutter, loaded over 4 grn of BE, was my standard small game load when I lived back east. Shooting those out of a mod 28 was a bit like shooting .22 shorts.

I shot some of the little wadcutters through the 9, but you have to feed them into the chamber by hand, they will not feed from the magazine, but they did shoot nice.

REM1875

Posted: July 13 2018 at 6:17pm | IP Logged Quote REM1875

John
Even though Alliant list only BE for some rounds for years,
local stores that carry powder have none and had to go to
the web site to even see what I was talking about.
I need another powder like a hole in the head ..... BUT
have been wondering about BE.
What can ya tell me about it ?

John Van Gelder

Posted: July 14 2018 at 5:24am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

BE is pretty fine grain stuff, it is #4 on my Lyman burn rate list.

I started using it 50+ years ago, mostly because it was very popular with target shooters and could be found almost anywhere.

I have a couple of pounds of BE that I have carried around for the last 30 years, that I really need to use up.

It is useful for light to midrange loads in revolver cartridges, and for high pressure loads in autos.

Like most powder you need to get enough to insure clean burning and uniformity in performance.

Of late, since I bought a big jug of Hodgdon Clays, that is what I have used in place of BE. As I said I have some very od powder I am planning burning.

Lyman lists loads for the 90 grn bullet in .38 spl using 700X, Clays, BE, Red Dot, 231 and Titegroup.

My goal with the light loads in the 9 to get into the 700 fps range, about the same velocity as my Benjamin gas spring air rifle. Any of the fast burning powders will work for "gallery" loads.

If you do not see the powder/velocity you are looking for. You can take the listed information, and plug it into the reduced load calculator, then the target velocity and it will give you a suggested powder charge, and these results are pretty accurate.

http://www.handloads.com/calc/reduced.asp

I have burned a lot of BE over the years, but there is other stuff that works as well and is easier to find.

Red Dot and 700X (yellow dot), are pretty easy to find.         & nbsp;         & nbsp;         & nbsp;         & nbsp;         & nbsp;         & nbsp;         & nbsp;     

REM1875

Posted: July 14 2018 at 2:52pm | IP Logged Quote REM1875

Thanks John and here I was thinking it was a new powder
....WoW .....

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version