Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Off Topic
 Handloads.Com Forum : Off Topic
Subject Topic: Been doing some cycling. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
M700

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 26 2018 at 8:05am | IP Logged Quote M700

Riding three or four times a week, riding hard, mostly 30 - 50 mile rides. Getting stronger! I left my buddies behind yesterday, on every uphill stretch. Was well behind my normal biking routine this year. I think April's big trip through the Southwest, just doing some leisurely hiking, really threw me off. But... Am doing well these days. Lots of good miles, mostly with good friends, on the bike the past two months.

Feeling strong!

So far this month, on the bike. Am keeping track of the rides with an app on my cell phone called "Strava." It does a nice job with hikes or rides.

7/25: 44 miles, 2873' elev gain
7/23: 52 miles, 2252'
7/20: 30 miles, 1179'
7/18: 41 miles, 1509'
7/16: 52 miles, 1697'
7/13: 45 miles, 2087'
7/11: 50 miles, 2163'
7/09: 37 miles, 1510'
7/06: 33 miles, 940'

Will be shifting over to more hikes soon, preparing for hunting season, but dang.... I sure am enjoying all this time on the road bike. :)

Regards, Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

doghawg

Posted: July 27 2018 at 5:33pm | IP Logged Quote doghawg

Guy

I sure wouldn't want to try to keep up with you on my bike! A big ride for me is 15 miles with nothing resembling hills. Of course, I'm a little older than you and had 5 bypass heart surgery a year and a half ago but even back in my prime I wouldn't have been able to keep up.

Just thinking about 50 miles with a couple thousand feet of elevation gain makes my legs burn.

Randy

M700

Posted: July 28 2018 at 5:23am | IP Logged Quote M700

Thanks Randy!

Am fortunate to live in a pretty bike-friendly area, which is nice. Some of those rides were on a terrific bike trail we've got here, along the Columbia River.

Some were out on rural roads/highways. We're pretty careful about route selection, and wearing bright clothing, but... Still worry about collisions. Cyclists often lose quite badly in any collision with a car or truck.

I do enjoy the rides. We've got a good group of folks who ride together, a few youngsters, but most of us are in our 60's or 70's, a couple of riders are actually in their 80's and one of those guys is an incredibly strong rider. I can take him in a sprint or a hill climb, but he wears me down out on the long, flat, fast stretches...

Guy

LAH

Posted: July 28 2018 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote LAH

Amazing.

doghawg

Posted: July 28 2018 at 8:41pm | IP Logged Quote doghawg

Good grief! I better quit pampering myself. We've got an old railroad grade nearby made into a bike/walking trail and I try to crank out a couple of rides a week. Doc says something is going to kill me but it probably won't be my heart.
I'm curious what bikes and tire sizes you gents are using?

Randy

M700

Posted: July 29 2018 at 6:48am | IP Logged Quote M700

My old Trek mountain bike uses a 2" tire on a 26" rim.

The road bike is a Specialized Roubaix, with 700-25 slicks:

Guy

M700

Posted: July 29 2018 at 6:55am | IP Logged Quote M700

Not riding this weekend, but I'll be back out there on Monday morning. Longest ride of the year, this year, was 63 miles, which I gutted out in May, the week of my 62nd birthday. I wasn't really ready for that ride, as I hadn't ridden at all in April, but I did it.

Am riding enough now though - that when the weather cools a bit, I'll probably do a 100 miler. Been a while since I last rode a "century."

Several of the folks I ride with do the "STP" or Seattle to Portland, 200 mile ride year after year... Ya... They're pretty serious about this stuff. Most of them opt to ride all 200 miles in one day. Ugh! I greatly prefer to keep my rides to around 50 miles, or less.

Guy

Edited by M700 on July 29 2018 at 6:55am

M700

Posted: July 30 2018 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Hard ride this morning. 51 miles and gained nearly 3,000' of elevation. Rode a real steep climb for several miles with a buddy. Sometimes the grade hit 14% - which seemed awfully doggone steep!

Shifted into the lowest gear and just kept pedaling. I rode that hill in my 30's, 40's, 50's and now in my 60's.

I'm hoping to only ride it on my motorcycle in my 70's!

My riding buddy was pleased, as this was the first attempt at the big ol' hill. Good success early on, then another 40+ miles of easier riding afterwards.

Guy

doghawg

Posted: July 30 2018 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote doghawg

I'd say you're about ready for a sheep hunt in Tibet or something! I'm not a cardiologist but would think if you can pump out rides like that you may never have to face a room full of serious looking people
wearing medical garb that want to split your brisket open.
Another benefit is knees...mine were giving me problems until I started riding. Ortho guy says he hears that often.

I ride a Specialized bike too but it's a few notches down in pay grade from yours. A few notches up from the chain store stuff though. 26" by 1.95 tires.

Randy

M700

Posted: July 31 2018 at 7:55am | IP Logged Quote M700

Got one heck of a deal on that gray Specialized road bike. Two years ago, Memorial Day weekend, my wife and I headed into the local bike shop, I'd tested a Roubaix, and was amazed at how comfortable the bike was.

Found that there was one remaining "last year's model" in my size. It was marked down because of that.

Then it was on sale for Memorial Day.

Then they gave me a healthy veteran's discount...

Ya, I couldn't let them keep the bike.

It's been wonderful for me. I'd almost quit riding my 25 year old aluminum frame Cannondale 'cause it wasn't being kind to my body anymore. Weird how things change. In comparison, the Specialized is like riding in a Cadillac. So smooth...

Got just short of 500 miles this month. Figure I'll break that easily next month. Hope so!

Keep on riding! It's good for ya. As long as we don't fall off or get run over or something... Yikes!

Guy

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version