Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Off Topic
 Handloads.Com Forum : Off Topic
Subject Topic: Small Children Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
John Van Gelder

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 31 2018 at 5:35am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

I am sure that every one here that has children will agree that during the early years of their lives children share a lot of similarities with young animals, that goes both ways.

I spend a lot of time interacting with bears, and admit to a certain fondness for them.

During the dry part of the summer water holes dry up and my spring is a pretty popular place for wild life.

Almost every summer, I have a female with a cub, frequenting the little pond below my spring.

During my observations, one constant is that bears are good mothers, better than some humans, based on my police experiences.

And bears are quite articulate, displaying some very rudimentary language skills.

Unfortunately my dogs do not have the same appreciation for the bears.

Yesterday "Mom" and cub "Theodore" stopped by for a drink, my German Sheppard, took offense and went after the bears, Mom put the little guy up a tree, and made the usual threatening noises to my dog.

A full grown German Sheppard can be pretty intimidation even to bears. My dog chased her all of the way down to the bottom of my ravine. The little guy was up in the tree making very pitiful little kid sounds.

My dog came back to the house, Mom came back to get her child, and the chase was on again. This cycle repeated until I tied up my dog.

I went back down by the spring and waited out of sight, Mom came back went straight to the tree where the cub was.

She stood at the bottom of the tree and started talking to her "child", you could tell what she was saying, on an instinctive level.

She first made some reassuring sounds, Theodore is having none of it, he is still crying, more reassuring sounds, not working, then her tone changed. There was no doubt what she was saying, "don't make me come up there and get you", at which point the cub started down the tree.

Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

richhodg66

Online Status: Online
Posted: July 31 2018 at 6:16am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

I was out in my shed doing some stuff yesterday afternoon, walked out to see two fawns still in spots right there in the yard, broad day light middle of the afternoon. That same thought occurred to me, that baby critters, people or otherwise, act a lot the same, playful and curious.

We don't have bears here and I'm kind of glad we don't, but an encounter like you described would be pretty cool to see.

M700

Posted: July 31 2018 at 7:50am | IP Logged Quote M700

Pretty cool John.
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

John Van Gelder

Posted: July 31 2018 at 7:16pm | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

I really enjoy seeing the bears, if I have a problem one then that is different.

Two years ago I was out one morning making my rounds and ran into a female with three cubs, I got to watch them for a while before my dogs showed up and the bears took off.

I cannot imagine how that "mom" dealt with three of those little rascals.

I saw a herd of elk today, there were several calves, always good to see.

Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

rich2

Posted: August 04 2018 at 5:15am | IP Logged Quote rich2

I have much, much, more compassion and sympathy for animals than I do people now days. Animals fend and care for them selves. Humans always have a hand out thinking they are owed something just because they exsists and are too lazy and unwilling. No all humans mind you. But enough of us to give the majority a bad rap.

Rant mode off.

KinleyWater

Posted: August 05 2018 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

Very cool story. There are quite a few bears not too far from here and I have had the opportunity to see several. They are amazing animals.

John Van Gelder

Posted: August 06 2018 at 5:58am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

I had a bear just down below the house yesterday, did not get a good look, the bear was in a vine maple thicket, visibility is about 15 feet, I could hear the bear hissing at my dog, I was not willing to get into a situation where I had to shoot the bear.

We checked trail cameras this weekend and found these, Mom is in the tank and the kids are waiting for their turn.

John Van Gelder

Posted: August 06 2018 at 6:00am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

rich2

After 35 years of active participation in the criminal justice system, I am of a similar mind.

KinleyWater

Posted: August 06 2018 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

Nice pic.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version