Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: Rossi 92 .357, the Long Story... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
KinleyWater

Online Status: Offline
Posted: August 03 2018 at 4:22pm | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

So These past weeks I was out for work and had to make a late night trip through Maryland. Since I don't own one of those automatic toll devices I told my GPS to take me to my destination without using toll roads. The thing interpreted that as meaning I wanted a late night tour of downtown (and other parts) of Baltimore. It was just past midnight when I entered the city and almost a quarter to one when I left.

Lesson: Don;t rely on technology when your life is at stake

Anyway, I ended up arriving at my destination and got dragged into a conversation with a (sort of) coworker, who happens to be a social worker. After being lectured to by him about how we should not have a second amendment and how guns are the cause of all the problems in inner-city Baltimore, I realized that what he really wanted is for me to argue with him. So, instead i told him that I could see his conviction on the subject and that I thought he was entitled to what were his clearly sincerely held beliefs. This, of course, left him completely speechless.    Realizing that he had completely lost the gun control argument, he turned to lecturing me about my "White Privilege", which is the notion that even though I grew up exceptionally poor with no indoor plumbing, no electricity, and wearing hand-me0down clothes until I was able to buy my own, that I was somehow naturally better off because of the colour of my skin.

So, I left the young man to fret over my refusal to accept that something such as "White Privilege" existed and determined that it was high time I bought another gun.

Now, what I really want is a nice lever gun in 45-70. I don't need one, and there's nothing I can do with one right now that I can;t do at least as well if not better with my 35 Whelen, but I don't have one yet.

So, this afternoon, I am in my LGS with my much better half and I see something shiny on the shelf. Lo, and behold, it's a brand new shiny Rossi 92 in 357/38. And by shiny, I mean stainless. I make the mistake of letting the wife handle it and the next thing I know, I'm filling out layaway papers.

Lesson: Don't let the person who's supposed to be the reasonable one handle the new shiny firearms.

Well, there you have it: The long story of how I (she) will soon be the owner of a Rossi in .357.

STCM(SW)

Posted: August 03 2018 at 6:53pm | IP Logged Quote STCM(SW)

LMAO!!!!!

Yea, but maybe she will let you shoot once a year!

Back to Top View STCM(SW)'s Profile Search for other posts by STCM(SW)

richhodg66

Posted: August 03 2018 at 7:36pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

The Rossi '92 I have is in .45 Colt and is a pre-safety one. I like it, you have to look close to make sure it isn't a for real Model '92.

You're more tolerant than I am, I would have shut that stuff down quickly and decisively and told him he's an idiot. I work real hard to avoid liberals, usually I'm pretty successful.

Baltimore, ewwww. How'd you end up in that sh!t hole?

LAH

Posted: August 03 2018 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote LAH

Great story.

REM1875

Posted: August 04 2018 at 1:46am | IP Logged Quote REM1875

My wife has a nice new shiny Henry 223 she just had to have
.....I haven't even shot it yet ......

Edited by REM1875 on August 04 2018 at 1:50am
Back to Top View REM1875's Profile Search for other posts by REM1875

John Van Gelder

Posted: August 04 2018 at 5:30am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

I have a similar story, relating to a Rossi .44 spl., revolver.
Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

RT58

Posted: August 04 2018 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote RT58

My old shooting partner had a Rossi 92 in .357, he really liked it. I'm not sure what happened to it after he passed away.

I hope you and your wife enjoy it. There are several liberal groups on the internet claiming they are going to start a new civil war. My wife had some videos of them at the range showing off their firearm skills...this one might just be over in the 90 days Lincoln claimed the first one would take.
Back to Top View RT58's Profile Search for other posts by RT58

M700

Online Status: Online
Posted: August 04 2018 at 12:19pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Excellent!
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

REM1875

Posted: August 04 2018 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote REM1875

Wife wants to find T-shirt we once saw and failed to buy
(but she did pick up a nice used 4006 S&W) that said
"Cleverly disguised as an adult "
Back to Top View REM1875's Profile Search for other posts by REM1875

KinleyWater

Posted: August 04 2018 at 3:55pm | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

My wife has what might be described as a neurosis about shooting, in that she insists that I shoot any new gun first. Not sure why, but it's important to her, so I oblige.

I have wanted to get her a carbine in this caliber to go with her .357 revolver for some time, so that likely fed some of the spontaneity. I will post a range report once we get our grubbies on it.

As for websites... The young gentleman had one on tap to prove how dangerous guns were. He was able to tell me that on the evening I had driven through Baltimore, 7 people had dies from firearms in that city. I didn't bother to ask how many, if any, were suicides, but I did ask him how many people had been killed in Vermont int he same period. The answer, of course, was zero.

First, he tried to claim that the populations were not comparable, then he found out that Vermont has a population of around 623,000 and Baltimore just about 613,000. He then tried claiming that Vermont was full of rich people; a notion I disabused him of in short order.

Ultimately, he concluded rather decisively that the reason for the difference was demographics. According to him, there were no gun deaths in Vermont because it is 98% Caucasian - his words.

Lesson: You can't have reasoned discussion with unreasonable liberal racists.

- There are numerous websites with directions on how to counter gun arguments. Gun supporter says X, you say Y. That's why he was totally unprepared for me to tell him I respected his belief; that's never something they ever consider.

KinleyWater

Posted: August 04 2018 at 4:14pm | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

Speaking of which, does anyone have any suggestions for commercial loads that would serve a general purpose role? I'm looking to buy some until I work up a handload.

John Van Gelder

Posted: August 05 2018 at 5:43am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Some standard lead bullet .38 spl for just plinking loads, and then 158 grn jacketed soft points. Hollow point, .357 ammunition tends to be pretty destructive out of the rifle.

I shot a marmot with some of the Remington 125 grain hollow points out of a Rossi mod 92, it turned the marmot into a bag full of mush.
Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

Tom W.

Posted: August 05 2018 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote Tom W.

As to firing a new firearm, we have a tradition in our
family that if it's your firearm, you take the first shot.

KinleyWater

Posted: August 05 2018 at 3:06pm | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

John Van Gelder wrote:
Some standard lead bullet .38 spl for just plinking loads, and then 158 grn jacketed soft points. Hollow point, .357 ammunition tends to be pretty destructive out of the rifle.

I shot a marmot with some of the Remington 125 grain hollow points out of a Rossi mod 92, it turned the marmot into a bag full of mush.

John,

Thanks, that is more or less what I was thinking, but I also have been considering 180gr .357s.

John Van Gelder

Posted: August 05 2018 at 4:55pm | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

KinleyWater

With a bit of careful reloading, you can get pretty close to .30-30 energies with the .357 in a rifle.

Buffalogun

Posted: August 07 2018 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote Buffalogun

KW,

From what I've read, most 158gr. factory .357 Mag fodder will generate around 1,700-1,800 fps. out of carbine/rifle length barrels.
As John indicated, those velocities will put you into the backyard of the .30-30. And, factory soft points at those speeds are reported to make generally good deer loads out to about 125-150 yds. Hollow points may be a might fragile on close-in shots.

I have the .357 MAX in single shot form and it will exceed the energies and velocities of factory .30-30 cartridges.

Mike

KinleyWater

Posted: August 07 2018 at 6:54pm | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

Thanks all. The Rossi is sitting on the living room floor. Ammo should be next to it by Friday. I'm thinking Saturday, we will get some range therapy on.

If you want to know what my luck is like, the day i went in to finish paying on it, there was a brand spanking new Henry All Weather in 45-70 - exactly what I had been looking for the day I put money down on the Rossi...

Edited by KinleyWater on August 07 2018 at 6:56pm

John Van Gelder

Posted: August 08 2018 at 5:09am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

At the end of the day the Rossi will be a lot more fun for everyone in the family, cheaper to shoot, and useful for a wider range of shooting pursuits.

When I was in Alaska, I had a Marlin .357 Rifle, that I carried a lot more than any of my heavier rifles.

A friend of mine bought two of the Rossi .357s for his kids they used those to hunt deer on Kodiak Island.

KinleyWater

Posted: August 08 2018 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

Does that mean I should feel bad about putting the Henry on layaway???

John Van Gelder

Posted: August 09 2018 at 5:13am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

KW

Only if it will make you feel better about felling bad..:)

If for some reason you find yourself hiking around in grizzly/brown bear country the .45-70 is a pretty comfortable hiking companion. With some careful handloading you are into .458 Winchester ballistics.

One of the guys I used to hunt deer on Kodiak Island with had a "95" Marlin, in .45-70, he loaded it with 300 grn Hornady jacketed hollow point bullets up to around 2200 fps., you had to be really careful where you hit a deer with those, or there was not much left to eat.

The Rossi will get used a lot more often, your shoulder will thank you for that..:)

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version