Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: Different OAL Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Abram

Online Status: Offline
Posted: August 20 2018 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote Abram

Let me see if I can explain this so some of you can help me. I am loading 308 using Sierra 175 HPBT bullets and resized brass of different headstamps. While seating the bullets I noticed there was a different feeling on the bottom of the stroke. The first 3 bullets I seated it was a firm sold contact at the bottom of the stroke but on the next two it was a springy feeling. At first I thought it was perhaps something I had done wrong during the resizing, so I resized them again but to no avail. It did not matter who the manufacturer of the case was. Also the "springy" ones were an average of .010 longer than the other three. Now these cases are on the 4th firing and I will discard after this. Has anyone else encountered this and if so can you shed some light on what it may be.
Back to Top View Abram's Profile Search for other posts by Abram

safari100

Posted: August 20 2018 at 7:45pm | IP Logged Quote safari100

How do they shoot(group) springy to not?

M700

Posted: August 20 2018 at 8:13pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Brass is made in different thicknesses. I wonder if this contributes to your results?

One of the things I did when I went from casual reloader, to someone intent on winning long-range matches, was to standardize all my components. Using all the same brass was one part of that.

It worked.

Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

Abram

Posted: August 21 2018 at 10:12am | IP Logged Quote Abram

I just noticed this the other day when I sat down to load some more ammo. I had never measured each and every cartridge, what I did notice was the feel of the press on the bottom of the stroke so I decided to check each and every cartridge. I have several cases loaded that are different headstamps that are the same OAL. I don't know, perhaps it is something not too worry about.

Thank you

RT58

Posted: August 22 2018 at 8:02am | IP Logged Quote RT58

Find your longest piece of brass and set your seating die up to it. It could be a resizing issue if the difference in length is in the body. If the difference in length is in the neck it could be the die is trying to crimp the bullet with the longer brass.

Also, if you aren't already doing so, make sure you check your powder weights on a scale every now and then as you load. Compressed powder loads can give a spongy feeling too.
Back to Top View RT58's Profile Search for other posts by RT58

Abram

Posted: August 23 2018 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote Abram

RT58,
That is something I did not consider. All of my cases I know are not exactly the same length. I will give that a try this weekend to see what happens. Appreciate all of the help fellas

hoghunter

Posted: August 23 2018 at 3:24pm | IP Logged Quote hoghunter

Some thoughts:

Brass of different brands may have different neck thickness thus causing different degrees of bullet tension. For consistency it is best to use cases of the same brand and same lot is you are concerned about accuracy. However I don't see how this could affect OAL.

Unless you're using match grade bullets, bullet ogives can vary between bullets even in the same box thus producing differing OAL's. This is usually not significant,i.e less that .005" and I never saw them vary by the amount you have listed even in cheap bullet so I don't think that's the issue.

Case length does not affect OAL length unless you are prematurely contacting the crimping groove in the seating die. Make sure you are not hitting the crimping groove in the seating die with the longer cases. Cases should be trimmed to spec and the seating die adjusted so you are not unintentionally crimping the bullet.

Back to Top View hoghunter's Profile Search for other posts by hoghunter

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version