Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Handguns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Handguns
Subject Topic: Misc. reloading thoughts or lack there of Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Desert Eagle41

Online Status: Offline
Posted: September 02 2018 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

I think you all need to quit horsing around and start reloading!!! JUST KIDDING!! Craig

John Van Gelder

Posted: September 03 2018 at 5:57am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Horses doze standing up, but for real sleep they lie down.

One of my horses can stand on two legs, diagonal corners, he has one leg bent, resting, while my farrier has the other up doing a trim.

Craig

I do need to cast more .45 RBs, probably my favorite load in the auto, tumble lubed they are deadly accurate in my Ruger American.
Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 04 2018 at 10:20am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Well took a couple days off and I am back to reloading but what to reload? I will look but that seldom works so it will be 9mm I guess. Possibly something for the Kel-tec rifle. Boy when shooting my regular rounds in that rifle the rounds seem very much more powerful with a lot of recoil even for a rifle vs: handgun. I did a thread on this a year or so ago but didn't shoot the Kel-tec until lately but it all came back to me. I think the general idea was that with the longer barrel of the rifle vs the short barrel of the handgun the rounds had more power in the rifle. Works for me. Power Pistol is the powder I am using and is a tab slower like Unique. It is very handy to use one 9mm round for both guns. Craig

edit to fix type

Edited by Desert Eagle41 on September 04 2018 at 10:22am

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 04 2018 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Well here we go!! I was reloading when I noticed it was getting hot in the room so I got up to turn down the ac but it was off as was everything electrical. Big power failure in my neck of the woods. Nothing to do except reload!!! I finished some 9mm like twice as much as I thought I was going to do. Next up 45 and 10mm. Maybe tomorrow! Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 06 2018 at 8:39am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Finished up 9mm so moved on to 45 ACP more for a friend than anything else. Got enough for me to shoot and I just don't gravitate to 45 like I do others like 10mm, 9mm, 38/357 40 cal and 41AE. Go figure. Ain't but something to do. Craig

John Van Gelder

Posted: September 06 2018 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

I am working up so new loads for my .45 ACP, as soon as I can load them up and run some through the chronograph, I will post my findings.

I also find myself loading more for the 9mm than the .45, less powder and lead.
Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

RT58

Posted: September 06 2018 at 5:29pm | IP Logged Quote RT58

John Van Gelder wrote:
...I also find myself loading more for the 9mm than the .45, less powder and lead.

That's why I like small caliber revolvers.
Back to Top View RT58's Profile Search for other posts by RT58

John Van Gelder

Posted: September 07 2018 at 5:27am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

RT58

That is why for punching holes in paper or just killing cans, I like my air gun.

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 07 2018 at 8:27am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

45 is done as far as I can go as I broke the deprimeing pin stem and need a new one to proceed but I don't have bullets either so I am at a stop in general. I had extra stems but of course can't find them now. Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 08 2018 at 5:24am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Boy big news for me!!! I have a IWB holster for every handgun I own but always thought they wouldn't work for outside carry. My holster making guy has made a few for me that I just didn't like. Laying in bed last night I thought how about using the belt loop as it was intended but running the holster just behind the belt with the holster exposed. WORKS GREAT!!!! Now all my IWB holsters will work fine for outside carry. I used one this morning walking to breakfast no problem. Like I say this is really big news for me!!!. Craig

John Van Gelder

Posted: September 08 2018 at 6:27am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

craig

truly an epiphany.. which begs the question..trousers a bit tight these days..?

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 08 2018 at 6:46am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Nope losing weight. Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 08 2018 at 11:33am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Well fixed the deprimeing stem by replacing it with a 41 mag that I don't need today and did up some more 45. I am finding weird brass that has trouble taking a large primer but isn't a small primer one either. Hum they are some Federal and a another company I am not familiar with. Doesn't matter as I am down to my last 50,000 empty 45 cases before I can get more for free. It sure would be better if I liked to shoot 45 but I really don't. The only reason I am loading and not shooting is it's raining like crazy here and the Ohio State game is almost on. Craig

John Van Gelder

Posted: September 09 2018 at 6:25am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Craig

Funny you should mention that, was reading an article about .45 ACP and the small, medium and large primers used.

No idea where to get "medium" primers..

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 09 2018 at 6:31am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Well still raining but will end today so my range should be dried out in a few days!! I did find more 45 bullets to reload but forgot to mention in the above post. Has anyone noticed or it it just me but historically small(lighter) bullets aren't as available as they should be. Examples are 41 mag 210 and 170ish were always the standard and now you can't buy a 170g for 41 or the same thing I am finding for 45 230g is available but 170ish not so much. Like I say maybe it's me. Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 09 2018 at 6:40am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Well John your comment about medium primers makes sense to me as a large primer will not seat but it's larger than small primer hole. I really don't care as so far it's just 45. And I would say 2 out of 50 or so. Craig

John Van Gelder

Posted: September 09 2018 at 6:53am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

I have a handful of .45 ACPs that take small pistol primers.

Those go into the magazine for plinking at stuff out on the trail, if I find the brass good if not just as good..!

The outside the waist band thing with an "IWB" holster also works with left hand belt holsters, which I mistakenly purchased one time.. :)

I have quite a bit of military brass with crimped primers, I have a tapered abrasive tool bit in my drill press that I use to remove the crimp.

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 09 2018 at 7:56am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

John I just got off Midways site and bought 41 caliber bullets in the 170g range . One is a Lehigh 150g bullet that looks promising but expensive. The other is 170g JHP that looks good enough. Boy that was a quick way to get rid of some money. Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 09 2018 at 8:39am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

John I probably have 30 of these holsters and it was always a problem to figure out which one to use as the holster wouldn't work, now all work, as I like to carry outside when I go to the range, just easier. Talking about 41 caliber I will only be loading for 41AE {you know 41 mag short} but have enough coming to last a lifetime. Craig

John Van Gelder

Posted: September 10 2018 at 6:06am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

My reloading experiment with the .45ACP fell short of expectations.

My goal was for a light weight bullet at 1100fps. I have had good luck with feed/function and accuracy using tumble lubed round balls.

There is no load data that I could find for round balls in the .45ACP. My starting load for the experiment was the upper load for a 160 gr. SWC, from my Lyman manual 6.4 gr, of BE was listed at 1050. I chronographed a magazine full and the best velocity was 900, with the average closer to 850.

All of the rounds fed, and ejected accuracy was good, with POI about 4" below POA at 100 yards.

My assessment is that the round balls crimped at the center line do not take up as much of the space in the case as the listed 160 gr. bullet, that and the reduced mass, so pressure was substantially lower. The soot on the outside of the cases also hints at that.

The load data section lists 6.9 gr, of BE with a 155 gr. bullet at 1175 fps.

There are other powders listed at around that same weight/velocity, I am trying to use up this old can of BE.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version