Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Handguns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Handguns
Subject Topic: Misc. reloading thoughts or lack there of Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Desert Eagle41

Online Status: Offline
Posted: September 10 2018 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Well John BE is very fast as I use power pistol sort of like Unique. Again I would have tried a 170ish grain JHP but that is just me. I think the books have it at or faster than 1100 but I would have to confirm that. Looked it up and I am a little wrong. It's a 185g jhp with PP runs at 1024. I think you could get 170g to run at 1100 safely but I am guessing it's not what your looking for in general. On another note I would use up the BE for 9mm. Tons of data out there for any 9mm round and you could load a lot because there is such a small amount of charge involved. I used BE years ago I think in 357 but not sure now. Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 10 2018 at 2:16pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

This is strange. I went through all loaded rounds to see what I was lowest on and get this it's 9mm of which I have 500 rounds loaded. Some are special I am saving but most are shootable but I will load 200 or so more just because it's what I am shooting the most of now. Craig

John Van Gelder

Posted: September 11 2018 at 5:35am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Craig

I have the old can of BE that I would like to use up. This project is just a way to make a usable load for the .45 that doesn't use my stash of bullet metal so quickly.

The 850-900 fps load duplicates the upper load for a .44 percussion revolver.

The 1100 figure is achievable, without having to go into the +P range, and you would pretty much have 9mm velocity and recoil with a bit more frontal area.

Kind of like your polymer bullets, just an experiment.

I did all of this back in about 1968, all I had for a hand gun was my WW1 1911 Colt, which I did all of my hunting with. I had perfected a RB load that functioned the action, did not throw the brass very far and worked well on game.      
Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 11 2018 at 6:22am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Yeah I thought you were going after something special or at leased different. I guess I was right. Just adding my two cents worth or lack there of!!! Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 11 2018 at 8:45am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

I am loading 9mm like a mad man when I suddenly thought to look in my range bag and of course found 300 9mm rounds but looking around the reloading bench I found another 250+ rounds so the 9mm is not quite the issue I thought it was. Go figure!!! Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 11 2018 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

I almost made a mistake but figured it out in time, Would have been 1 grain over what I wanted and would have been OK but close to max or just over. Whew that was close. I will say I am checking like 3 or 4 times before loading the powder. Would have been an interesting first few shots. Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 12 2018 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Cable is down and internet just came up so had to reload a bunch this morning. I did some 124g v-crown sig bullets and it all went great. Still got 100 ready but no rush as I am too far ahead now.

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 12 2018 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Got the Midway shipment in today. The Lehigh are a strange 41 cal Philips bullet. I will load sometime but not even sure I have brass available right now and may have to shoot to make it available. The Sierra are just a standard JHP. The Lehigh will be fun to load and shoot. Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 12 2018 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

If I remember correctly I can use the 40 cal data as a jumping off safe point. There is a load 155g power pistol at 9.0g. I will start near there as the Lehigh bullets are 150g and I will go light to start. There is no data for 41 AE anyway. Also I will try to make 41AE brass out of 40 cal brass sometime. I do feel that lighter bullets in this caliber is the way to go. BTW I do have 700ish factory rounds sitting that is real 41AE i got from Setso RIP. Craig

John Van Gelder

Posted: September 13 2018 at 6:05am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Craig

Here is an article by Taffin on the 41AE and some load data as well..41 AE
Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 13 2018 at 8:45am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Thanks John good reading and data. Those guys think the way I do. It's nice to know you don't have to push it to get good results. Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 13 2018 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

BTW I did have to buy the Sierra 170g JHC bullet from Midway but the article speaks very highly of it anyway. The Lehigh 150g will be interesting!!! Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 13 2018 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Well I just found an empty box that had 41AE in it that was 210g with 2400 powder. I don't remember it but do have 100 reloads that have no label. The 2400 rounds must have been stout!!! Craig

P.S, the log that had these rounds were on was two computers ago so I don't know the details!!

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 13 2018 at 4:52pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Well I will take two apart and see what they are!! duh!!! Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 14 2018 at 5:11am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

It looks like 5.5g of 2400 to me but I don't trust my bullet pulling powder measuring all that much. Also looks like 2400 powder but not sure. I will shoot and get back. Craig

John Van Gelder

Posted: September 14 2018 at 6:33am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

I have to put notes in with my ammunition about the details.

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 14 2018 at 7:02am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Gee it's only been 4 or 5 years since I loaded and shot 41ae. Boy from what I can tell this is a some what light load if it's 2400. I did measure another and it is 6g I feel. I did have some 2400 to compair it to and it looks the same but I am not sure. I know it's not Power Pistol but could be something else. It's a safe load anyway as I know I have shot it before. Craig

John Van Gelder

Posted: September 14 2018 at 7:04am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Good luck with that..:)

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 14 2018 at 7:12am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Hey I was just looking around and it might be HP-38 powder. Their data is close to that load and I do have some and as I recall it looks like the powder that's in there. Craig

John Van Gelder

Posted: September 14 2018 at 7:21am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

I have been there, one of my favorite reloading tools is my bullet puller.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version