Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Handguns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Handguns
Subject Topic: Misc. reloading thoughts or lack there of Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Desert Eagle41

Online Status: Offline
Posted: September 14 2018 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

John you will love this!!! The bullet puller would not work due to the "rebated" 9mm extraction groove in the 41ae so I taped a shell holder on the bullet puller on the 9mm groove and the shell holder to make it work and it did. Anyway back from the range and the Tanfoglia shot great . I compared the reloads to the Sampson factory rounds and they were very close with the Sampson being just slightly more powerful recoil wise. Boy the gun shoots great. Craig
BTW I couldn't find but 5 empties out of 30 or so I shot. doesn't surprise me!!!   

John Van Gelder

Posted: September 14 2018 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

I have been doing the shell holder trick. The little "O" ring on my bullet puller collete broke, so I have been using shell holders in my Lyman puller.

If you brass is going that far, I think a heavier recoil spring is in order.
Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 14 2018 at 2:36pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Yeah I broke the bullet puller the same way I think. Anyway I have 5 41AE empties ready for powder and bullet. I will try 8g power pistol with the 150g fillips bullet. I think they will fly fast but who knows?!! Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 14 2018 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Well I screwed up as I had 5 41AE to reload 2 were just unloaded and 3 were shot. I forgot I had used the deprimer stem for 9mm I needed early this week but I thought I didn't need it as 2 had good primers in them already forgetting about the 3 I had to deprime. Now I have a stuck case in the bullet seating die but it is moving so I can get it out but will loose the case I am afraid. Boy what a comedy of errors. Craig

John Van Gelder

Posted: September 15 2018 at 6:19am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Craig

When errors occur they can have a "cascade" effect with no warning..
Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 15 2018 at 7:29am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Boy I hate writing this as it's so stupid on my part. The reason the case got stuck is I had screwed the bullet seating stem in the resizing die!!!!! Boy what an idiot. Took a machine shop and a friend to get it out but all is fixed now I hope. Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 15 2018 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Loaded 4 rounds 41AE and all went super. will shoot tomorrow if possible. Craig

John Van Gelder

Posted: September 16 2018 at 5:26am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

I finally hit the 1100 fps mark with the RB load in the ACP. I worked up to 7 gr. of BE. No pressure signs, still some soot on the outside of the cases, so I probably could go further, but wont..!

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 16 2018 at 6:26am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Hey John does this mean we are on the cutting edge of reloading???? Just wondering as I tink I am breaking new ground when I can get 100 rounds loaded without screwing up. HE He!! Well the new Lehigh bullets LOOK nice I may see how they do this morning if I can. One other thing I would like to say is I have always stated my mistakes so as to tip off the new reloaders if they have the same issues. I just always thought it was the right thing to do. Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 16 2018 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Back from the range but forgot to shoot the Lehigh bullets, Shot Sampson IMI factory rounds to get brass but after 20 rounds I could only find 3 empties. The next project will be a brass catcher of some sort. I have been thinking about a trash can on it's side on a table or higher to chatch the brass. Will build that tomorrow and test with Lehigh. Craig

John Van Gelder

Posted: September 17 2018 at 6:20am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

I think we are a long way from the cutting edge, and in some cases are probably re-inventing the wheel ..but it keeps us out of the pool halls, and hanging around street corners.

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 18 2018 at 7:52am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

I am not on the cutting edge with the 41AE that's for sure!!. Shot 4 rounds and 3 didn't feed right but I managed to make them feed and they shot good. There is a grove around the bottom of the bullet when seated in the case that is the problem. I will try to iron out with the taper crimp die but not sure it will work. Any ideas on this?? Also the trash can idea is still under construction as I took a basket from home but it didn't catch any brass. Need a bigger can and need to mount it higher. In all fairness I just didn't have the time to fool with it today. Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 18 2018 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

This is odd I just measured one of my 41AE and compared it to the Sampson which feed perfect and the Sampson are thicker than my reloads, so why they getting hung up? Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 18 2018 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Measured wrong or what ever but my reloads are .455 at the bulge whereas the Sampson are .405 or so. Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 18 2018 at 11:01am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

HP-38 may be what I need to do. Will try it next.

RT58

Posted: September 18 2018 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote RT58

Desert Eagle41 wrote:
There is a grove around the bottom of the bullet when seated in the case that is the problem. I will try to iron out with the taper crimp die but not sure it will work. Any ideas on this??   Craig

Your bullets are too long for the .41AE case. Even though they are light it's due to their monolithic construction which still results in a long bullet, and that nose profile doesn't help much either.

With standard lead bullets in the .41AE case bulging was a problem with anything over 210 grains and even they were iffy in many firearms.
Back to Top View RT58's Profile Search for other posts by RT58

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 18 2018 at 1:34pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

RT58 you may be right although the bullets are 150g they were long I felt. My 210g bullets from a few years ago reloaded great. I will try the HP-38 just for laughs but I think you are right on this. Craig

edit to fix typo

Edited by Desert Eagle41 on September 18 2018 at 1:43pm

RT58

Posted: September 18 2018 at 5:22pm | IP Logged Quote RT58

If your pistol has enough room in the magazine to seat the bullets further out, you might try that, although it may lead to other feeding issues.

It's a shame the .41AE didn't survive as it would have created a market for lighter bullets in that caliber. The .41 magnum was never all that popular and jacketed bullets have even been hard to find, even in higher weights. Speer had made a 180gr. Gold Dot bullet for the .41AE, which was a nice bullet, but it is no longer available, and IMI sold their 200gr. FMJ bullets they used in the factory round, which is also no longer available. That leaves the Sierra 170gr. JHP, which is still around, and you can pull Remington .41 mag. 175gr. Silvertips, but that gets expensive.

Lee and Lyman both offered moulds for .41AE specific bullets, but they were both dropped too and may be hard to find used. Saeco had a mould for 185gr. SWC's that worked well. The ones I had were made by Penn Bullets I believe. It's a labor of love.
Back to Top View RT58's Profile Search for other posts by RT58

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 18 2018 at 5:33pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Yeah I have used the 210 Sierra and just got 200 of the 170g for reloading. I really just got the Lehigh to try and will make them work I feel. No room in the mag for a longer setting but I will work this through but only have 40 or so to reload and at the price I don't need anymore. Craig

Edited by Desert Eagle41 on September 19 2018 at 4:11am

John Van Gelder

Posted: September 19 2018 at 5:16am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Craig

A lot of feed issues are a result of magazine problems. Sometimes just a weak spring.

Any time I load different bullets in the semi auto I hand cycle a sample number through the gun.

Another easy test is to remove the barrel, drop a bullet into the chamber. For reliable function they should be a little loose, and flush with the back of the barrel hood.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version