Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Handguns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Handguns
Subject Topic: Misc. reloading thoughts or lack there of Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Desert Eagle41

Online Status: Offline
Posted: September 19 2018 at 5:24am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

This morning I measured a fresh bullet and it was .403. Of course when in the case it is more but I think RT58 has it right with the bullet being too long and causes the bulge that I can't seem to remove with the taper crimp die. I am still working on it though. Craig

John Van Gelder

Posted: September 20 2018 at 6:43am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Craig

I have lots of ammunition with bulges in the cases, if they will drop into the chamber then they will function. If the loaded rounds fit into the chamber without having to be forced, then your feeding function issues lie elsewhere.

Are your cases too lomg..?
Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 20 2018 at 7:02am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

John the bullets will not drop in the barrel but some will feed with a little force or let the slide bump it in works also. It's close!! The bullet length is the problem and I will adjust that as I can but I am already pushed very deep in the case. It is the bulge hanging up in the barrel that is the problem. Not any other feeding issue. I can't seat the bullet further out as I am up against the mag side if I do that. Will play with it some more or switch to the Sierra 170g and be done with the Lehigh. Craig

edit to fix wrong word

Edited by Desert Eagle41 on September 20 2018 at 11:52am

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 20 2018 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Ok just loaded 3 and all had the bulge but not as bad. None would feed at all and hand droping in the barrel would not work. I quit on this for the time being. One other thing I did was compare the Nehigh to the Sierra and the Sierra are MUCH shorter and weight more go figure. I think the Nehigh were made for 41 mag not AE. I only got 3 so I may unload and load Sierra. Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 20 2018 at 1:16pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Was able to unload one and reload with the 170g Sierra and it is perfect as there is no bulge of any kind and it cycled perfect from the mag to barrel no problem. Anybody need any 150g Lehigh?? Just kidding I will work some more on this later, a lot later!!! Craig

John Van Gelder

Posted: September 21 2018 at 7:13am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

There is a bit more to the care and feeding of the semi-auto that the revolver.

I found an anomaly, in some of my .45ACP loads.

I have been using a load from the Lyman cast bullet manual for the last 30 years.

The load from the book is 7.5 gr. of Unique, the 452639 bullet, 200gr. SWC. published velocity 913 fps. I do not have the above bullet, I have the H&G 68, the same weight, pretty similar shape and same seating depth.

I shot this load for many years, with very good results, it was only about four years ago that I finally chronographed any of those loads.

In my 5" AMT hard baller, they were doing just over 1050 fps. I have quite a few of those loads, so when I got my Ruger American .45, I loaded it up and went to shoot, those loads just would not feed through that gun.

Some were not ejecting, some were nose diving into the magazine, and some were hanging up on the feed ramp.

I chalked that up to some autos will not feed SWC bullets. I went to a different bullet and that took care of the feed issue.

In the mean time I read a number of articles about folks shooting SWC bullets in their American .45s. So I revisited the H&G bullet, I really like that bullet.

With different powders, the bullet seemed to function just fine, I dug out a box of the old 7.5 gr. Unique loads and my chronograph. I fired a string through the American, the low was 1064 and the high was 1124 fps.

Most did not feed properly.

Those are low end .45 Super loads.

All of my 1911 pattern guns have heavy (22#) recoil springs and buffers, and shoot those loads just fine.

I found a source of heavy recoil and striker springs, which I am confident will solve the feeding issue.

But I still do not know why my chronograph results are so much higher than the listed velocities.

Other powders from the same column of load data for the given bullet, chronograph out to within 50 fps of the published velocities.

Most of the old loads, were produced, one rainy after noon during the winter of 1978, while I was in Ketchikan.

Definitely "Old" Unique.

Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 21 2018 at 12:27pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Well John I have come to the conclusion that there aren't any bullets made for the 41AE anymore. The Sierra 170's are really made for 41 mag, there lightest offering. It will work perfect for the AE and I did get 200 so I am good for awhile. I mean how often will I ever shoot this gun? I should have left it 9mm except I have a lot of 9's to pic from as it is. I like the 41AE and with the 170 Sierra it will be fine. If I still had my Desert Eagle 41 mag I could load the Nehigh for that but alas I don't have it anymore. Moving on what to reload next?? Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 21 2018 at 1:43pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

John in your opinion do you think I could use these Lehigh .409 bullets in 10mm?? Just a thought as they fit in a case but don't know the specs on 10mm bullet size wise. Craig

RT58

Posted: September 21 2018 at 4:11pm | IP Logged Quote RT58

10mm bullets are .401. If the .409's chamber they can work but pressures will be higher than with the .401's, plus the pressures will be even higher since the .409's aren't as malleable.

And the Sierra 170's are an excellent choice for the .41AE since that was the bullet used in IMI's factory ammo.
Back to Top View RT58's Profile Search for other posts by RT58

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 21 2018 at 4:29pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Thanks, I did wake up to the fact that the chamber and barrel weren't the same dimension so it could be a kaboom situation. Craig

John Van Gelder

Posted: September 22 2018 at 7:00am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Craig

Some of the custom cast bullet manufacturers, have diameter options in a caliber range.

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 22 2018 at 10:26am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Hey John I know but at this point I am just trying to come up with a way to use these bullets. I have 200 Sierra 170g that are perfect for the 41AE. If I could use the Lehigh for something I would but not the end of the world if I can't. Craig

John Van Gelder

Posted: September 23 2018 at 7:12am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

craig

I read over your posts again. And RT58 is right "on the money" the bulges are coming from pushing the base of the bullet down into the web of the case.

As far as shooting .409 bullets in the 10mm, I would not recommend doing that. I regularly go 2-3 thousands over bore diameter with cast bullets, going 8 thousands over is not a good idea with jacketed bullets. You will be bulging cases, and probably have feed issues.

RT58

Posted: September 23 2018 at 8:42am | IP Logged Quote RT58

If you had a metal lathe or band saw you can cut those Lehigh bullets in half. Or at least short enough to fit the .41AE. Hopefully the excessive resistance from friction will make up for the lack of weight.
Back to Top View RT58's Profile Search for other posts by RT58

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 23 2018 at 9:28am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

RT58, Yeah I had thought of that but they are starting at 150g so they might end up in the 120-130 range which is short for sure. Really to much trouble for a bullet. The Sierra will work and are readily available. Craig

John Van Gelder

Posted: September 27 2018 at 6:11am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

I loaded some of the 95 gr 9mm bullets up yesterday, I loaded them with the upper end load of 231, the manual indicated 1400 fps+ for that bullet/load.

That load shoots very well, as far as I shot was 110 of my paces, no hold over required at that range, minimal recoil.

Now I need to run some through the chronograph.

That bullet has a .31 Meplat, at that velocity those should be pretty effective on pests.

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 27 2018 at 8:27am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Sounds good are they loads that you made, lead bullets?? Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 27 2018 at 8:29am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Forgot to add I have a friend who is cutting two of the 150g Nehigh bullets to see what will do. Craig

John Van Gelder

Posted: September 27 2018 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Craig

Those are from a Lee mold, they drop from the mold in my alloy at .358, I tumble lube them, and shoot them unsized.

Desert Eagle41

Posted: September 29 2018 at 11:44am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

On my trouble with the Lehigh I forgot that I have a chop saw that will cut those bullets if I can come up with a jig of sorts and get a length that will work. My friend is still cutting two bullets but I will setup with the Sierra length as I know it will work. The weight is still an issue but I have alot of experence with no data and light bullets. Ha Ha Ha. Craig

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version