Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Handguns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Handguns
Subject Topic: Misc. reloading thoughts or lack there of Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
turbo1889

Online Status: Offline
Posted: October 06 2018 at 10:25pm | IP Logged Quote turbo1889

I have used one range (one of the best run
I have ever visited) where the firing line
was a wall made up of old 55-gal drumbs on
their side stacked up on each other with
their ends cut out and their inside
surfaces lined with foam egg-carton
pattern mattress topper. Rules were that
the muzzle of your gun needed to be
inserted in the barrel when you fired.

It was for sound mitigation for the ranges
neighbors. Don't know how well it really
worked for that purpose. But with a semi-
auto handgun. Putting your arm(s) with
the gun part way down the length of the
drumb it made for a great brass catcher.
Just reach in and collect your brass.

I ended up ripping off their idea and
making a single such barrel of my own
since I do have more neighbors around my
place then I used to have and although I
do want to keep them all used to the idea
of the sound of gunfire occasionally
comming from over at my place. I see no
reason to be obnoxious about with some of
my guns that make noticeably more boom
then others (again not totally sure how
well it actually works but figure it would
make a good "I am trying to be nice about
it" show and tell property if there is
ever an issue made of it) and for semi-
auto handguns it is easier then trying to
find brass down in the grass.

I still prefer to use my local range that
is within reasonable bicycling distance
from my place or just a short auto drive
because there is better straight line long
range target shooting capability there.
Where as at my place anything much more
then 25-yards and your trying to thread a
needle between trees more and more. I
don't like hitting my trees with bullets.
Have unfortunately already killed off a
couple big ones because they got hit too
many times over the years and had too much
sap disruption around the same height
because they are in line with the best
backstop. Made several easy cords of
firewood, but would have preferred to keep
them as good healthy trees on my place.
Live and learn !

Edited by turbo1889 on October 06 2018 at 10:35pm

To the most serious charge of "ARMING WOMEN" I plead guilty on multiple counts.
Back to Top View turbo1889's Profile Search for other posts by turbo1889

John Van Gelder

Posted: October 07 2018 at 5:48am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

My Dad made a "muffler" for his rifle shooting, it was a frame with a bunch of old tires stacked together, Same idea as the barrel and foam thing. That would catch brass as well.

There is a lot to be gleaned from the ejection pattern of semi auto pistols.

If the brass is going great distances, the recoil spring is probably too light, not only is the brass getting thrown away, the frame of the gun is taking a beating.

The more consistent your load is the more consistent the ejection pattern,

For just walking around plinking at stuff, I carry a magazine full of "squib" loads. With my little 95 gr. 9mm bullet and 2.5 gr. of BE, those average 700 fps, they are accurate, shoot to point of aim and do not function the action, the brass is pretty easy to find, and they make good small game loads.

In my attempt to find the minimum load that just functions the action I have ,with the above bullet, worked my way up to 4 gr of BE, which according to my manual should be around 1000 fps., In my DA 9mm those set the hammer back to the full cock notch, but do not move the slide far enough to eject the case.

With the maximum listed load for the 95 gr bullet the cases only go about 3' from the gun, with the maximum load using my 125 gr bullet they are around 8-9 feet away.

"equal and opposite"

When I first got my CZ75, it was throwing the brass several feet, I changed out the stock recoil spring for a 17# spring, the brass is much easier to find.    
Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

Desert Eagle41

Posted: October 07 2018 at 6:57am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Turbo, Wow I do like the barrel idea and will try that as I have a source for 55 gallon drums. May just try it with nothing inside. John I don't try to load light except for friends who request it. I like to practice with what I plan to shoot if ever needed defensively. I am not a hunter of any kind. Friends that have the range where I am the only one who shoots have a minor ground hog problem I may help with that. I would like to try subsonic 22 as noise is an issue and there are two hogs that run together! Could be fun! Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: October 08 2018 at 7:48am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Well tested today and brass catching is better!!!! I was using a tall kitchen plastic basket that I cut the bottom out of. It lined up perfectly with the target and I could see all three targets I had set up. Drawbacks, brass still came out but landed at my feet, I need to clean up where brass is falling to be able to find it more easy. Hot brass is also landing on my arms and will need to use long sleeves from now on. Bottom line is I found 10 out of 14 rounds I shot in 41AE. Lining the trash can with foam might help and I will look into that but I love it so far. Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: October 09 2018 at 12:05pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Shot 9mm and 22 this morning and no brass was caught by the basket. I need to go full scale with a 55 gallon drum and I looked at them today and I can get a plastic 55 gallon for cheap that will work super. I think a foam liner of sorts will be in order. I am not sure what the problem is other than the brass is going out the shooter end and getting lost from there. I do better with 9mm with no basket but I don't do that well. Craig

John Van Gelder

Posted: October 09 2018 at 12:45pm | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Craig

From my end of the tdlescope, it appears that you are jousting at windmills.

I shoot a bit of every where, and in the last two years have lost one 9mm and two .45 ACPs

Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

Desert Eagle41

Posted: October 09 2018 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Well John I am at an outdoor range that was used by the owners family over the years. Now I am the only one that uses it so it is overgrown and the only maintenance that is done is by me. I want to shoot not mow grass and rake leaves. I am really thinking about building an indoor range and maybe give the CCW course as I am authorized to do so. Big undertaking and at my age possible crazy to even try it. Craig

Edited by Desert Eagle41 on October 10 2018 at 4:27am

John Van Gelder

Posted: October 10 2018 at 6:12am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Craig

Go for it.. A project like that has a lot of benefits, as we get older we have a shortage of goals, having something like that to do will keep you busy. The old saying applies, "we rust out long before we wear out".

I was an instructor when I was in the service, for most of my career in law enforcement, and I taught hunter education for 20 years. Some very enjoyable times..

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 7
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version