Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Handguns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Handguns
Subject Topic: What to reload next logic Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Desert Eagle41

Online Status: Offline
Posted: November 05 2018 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

OK got the 40 cal 165g plated flat point done tonight. Boy I dropped one and it is gone. Well that's another partial box of stuff gone. I will shoot to get rid of when I can. I also found some 41AE brass mixed in with the 40 cal brass which is very cool. Craig

turbo1889

Posted: November 05 2018 at 6:01pm | IP Logged Quote turbo1889

Desert Eagle41 wrote:
. . . . I also
found some 41AE brass mixed in with the 40
cal brass which is very cool. Craig

That would be like finding silver dollars
while mucking out a horse stall I would
think!

To the most serious charge of "ARMING WOMEN" I plead guilty on multiple counts.
Back to Top View turbo1889's Profile Search for other posts by turbo1889

Desert Eagle41

Posted: November 05 2018 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Yeah finding 41AE brass makes my day. I have a lot of loaded rounds but I can't seem to find the brass after I shoot 41 in general. I am working on a barrel type contraption but have little success so far mainly to do with weather. I will update as I go along with this project. Later Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: November 06 2018 at 5:36am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

This morning found first the 40 case I dropped last night. Then I found the bullet. Loaded the last to make a perfect 59 total 40 cal 165g flat point plated. I am so excited NOT. Craig

P.S. It's bad when you are excited to get rid of stuff.

Desert Eagle41

Posted: November 14 2018 at 5:30am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Well nice to see the forum up and running again!!!! Many thanks to those who worked to get it up. I know I missed it a lot!!!. So bored I am loading 9mm of which I have 2000 or so already loaded. I did shoot my new Sig Sauer co2 pellet gun a few days ago and it was fun but boring after a few rounds. BTW my new barrel for my brass catcher floated away during the latest flood of the range. Back to the drawing board on that one. Well that,s it for now and thanks again to those who got this forum up. Craig

The_Shadow

Posted: November 14 2018 at 2:28pm | IP Logged Quote The_Shadow

Thank you Craig for reaching out to see what could be done to bring the forum back on line! You reached out to me, I reached out to Lynn and Terry and then Terry was able to find a number for John, made him aware of the situation.
John was able to get the forum back up and going!   

BTW, I have a bunch of stuff to load, but my brother is visiting, weather is a mess and hunting season is here...
I'll do some loading later on!

LoUiSiAna
NRA Life Menber
BASS Life Menber
Back to Top View The_Shadow's Profile Search for other posts by The_Shadow

Desert Eagle41

Posted: November 14 2018 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Yeah I really missed the forum even with not a whole lot going on but I went to the 10mm forum but I think it is a little slow also. I did go to the "other calibers" section of the site but not much going on there. Just a slow time of the year I guess. I noticed you are talking about HST that you have gotten lately. I really like the ones I got and just loaded 100 9mm 124g that I already have a few hundred of. They are a nice bullet I feel. Well thanks again for help with the site. Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: November 15 2018 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

We are having ice storms in Ohio this morning. Not too bad and might go away during the day but everything is covered in ice so why not get in some reloading? Well what to reload. I am down to cases of bullets like 500 count of this and that and 1000 count of 9mm fmj. I don't know where to start. I have loaded everything in the near full cases and have prime reloading time for the next two or three months. I guess what I am trying to say is what do I reload next????? Craig

John Van Gelder

Posted: November 15 2018 at 7:30am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

I do believe that I will "reload" my chain saw an get back to cutting fire wood.

Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

M700

Posted: November 15 2018 at 8:27am | IP Logged Quote M700

Craig - it seems like you have more than enough ammo loaded to keep you shooting for a year or more...

Almost like you're getting bored with it. So... Here's a thought. Have you tried something new lately?

Fly tying? I find that very challenging yet relaxing. And, I can always use more flies. The danged fish & brush take their toll on my supply.

Love to load, but sometimes I need to go do something else, as when I'm in your shoes and have plenty of ammo loaded to take care of any shooting I intend on doing for quite a while.

Regards, Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

Desert Eagle41

Posted: November 15 2018 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Guy, My older brother is a world renown fly tyer specializing in turn of the century flys. He also goes to like Holland once a year to an annual fly tying show of some sorts. He has written articles and is "published" so that is out for me. I just love reloading and do it more than shoot. Oh well, such is life!! Craig

USA Joe

Posted: November 15 2018 at 11:09am | IP Logged Quote USA Joe

Thank you for getting the forum back up

Desert Eagle41

Posted: November 16 2018 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

OK decided to load 380 as I don't shoot it to often but seem to be short like down to 40 rounds. During one of the crunches you couldn't buy any 380 around here so the locals asked me if I could come up with some and of course I laid 500 on them and everyone passed the shooting part to get their ccw. I was the big hero on that one and I guess I never replaced the rounds I gave away. Well found everything to load with and looking for a box to put the rounds in I found 100 380 loaded. Well I needed some more anyway as this gun helped me pass the ccw years ago anyway. It's an F E G Hungary PA63 It says 9mm short on it. Ha Ha!! Craig

John Van Gelder

Posted: November 17 2018 at 7:32am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

It rained yesterday, which put a "crimp" in my wood cutting, so I fired up my lead pot and poured some 215gr, .45s and some 200 gr. 44s.

I am low on .44 spl. ammo, I really like the Lee 200 gr. RNFP bullet in my .44 spl.
Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

Desert Eagle41

Posted: November 17 2018 at 7:52am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Hey John, it's been raining for days up here and that is why I am so far ahead on reloading. BTW the 380 I did yesterday were a nice Montana Gold FMJ but hollow base 95g bullet. I don't even remember getting them and I might of had them for 10 years or so. I will shoot when I can. Nice bullets though. Craig

John Van Gelder

Posted: November 18 2018 at 6:56am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

I inherited a couple hundred jhp bullets, they are .357, about 100 each of 125 an 110 gr. I loaded some of those up in 9mm cases. They are Hornady bullets, that my father got from my uncle, he had a .357 maximum barrel for his Contender, I suppose he was shooting those in that gun. Those bullets have been passed around the family for about 30 years, I intend to shoot them up..

Desert Eagle41

Posted: November 18 2018 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Heirloom bullets are always nice!! Just keep a good family thought when shooting them up. Weather finally broke today but I had to get my boat out of the lake which went OK. I am trying to trade the boat for guns but have no takers as of yet. I have several boats and just need to thin out a bit. Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: November 20 2018 at 12:35pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

I am hoping it was this post but it really doesn't matter too much. I was finishing up 380 and I thought why not try my idea of setting up the bullet setting die to just set the bullet then remove the setting stem and adjust the die for taper crimp. It worked better than I even expected. Setting was easier and then the taper crimp was better than the two together. These were RCBS dies but any that are both setting and taper would work and you can really fly doing one than the other. Very little time lost however a separate taper die is faster if you have a turret press or the like. I have been trying to try this for awhile and was wondering if anyone else had stumbled on this idea?? Craig

BTW I think the taper is similar to a real taper crimp die. It's not as sudden as you might think it would be! Very smooth.

Juat editing to say it was this thread I started this idea with.

Edited by Desert Eagle41 on November 20 2018 at 1:50pm

The_Shadow

Posted: November 20 2018 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote The_Shadow

A good taper crimp die has a gentle taper but most don't realize that it starts to close the case against the bullet while it is being seated if you try to seat and crimp in the same step. For me it is two separate steps.
I raise my die up 1/8" with a spacer to avoid the case from closing in while seating the bullet. this is where people will see the bullet snagged or even shaved or cases buckle. Once all of my bullets are seat to depth I remove the 1/8" spacer and back out the seater stem the run them all to apply the crimp with no bullet movement.

Doing this in two step method makes for 100% reliability for semiauto platforms.

LoUiSiAna
NRA Life Menber
BASS Life Menber
Back to Top View The_Shadow's Profile Search for other posts by The_Shadow

turbo1889

Posted: November 20 2018 at 11:16pm | IP Logged Quote turbo1889

Yup, I do 90+% of my reloading on a turret
press and for most of the calibers I load
I have two dies and set one to seat the
bullet and another to do the crimping.

This can get expensive until one realizes
that you can make a simple universal
bullet seating die out of the Lee
universal case mouth flaring die by making
a set of custom inserts that work for
bullets with a flat on the nose with just
a flat punch (actually don't need custom
inserts for that) or that holds a standard
nose punch as used by Lyman type
lubrasizers which allows exactly matching
at least some nose profiles while seating
and coming darn close with others if you
have a sufficient selection of nose
punches.

Then you just set up the caliber specific
seat/crimp die to crimp only.

To the most serious charge of "ARMING WOMEN" I plead guilty on multiple counts.
Back to Top View turbo1889's Profile Search for other posts by turbo1889

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version