Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Handguns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Handguns
Subject Topic: What to reload next logic Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Desert Eagle41

Online Status: Offline
Posted: November 21 2018 at 5:08am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

`Yeah when I learned about taper crimp dies for like 10mm 38sp\357 and I got one for 9mm I was making better rounds easier and at the time I was using Berry's plated which would wrinkle or cut the plating if you weren't careful. With a separate taper crimp die all those problems seem to go away. I just thought of this way to accomplish the same thing to save a few bucks and not have to spend on a caliber that is not loaded that often. I will say with a taper crimp die they are good for a few calibers close to the size you got it for. That's it for now. Craig

John Van Gelder

Posted: November 23 2018 at 7:14am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

I bought a box of the Winchester USA Forged 9mm ammo, just to try reloading steel cases. Eight dollars and change at Walmart, It seems to be good ammunition, and what I have used, reloaded with cast bullets just fine.
Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

Desert Eagle41

Posted: November 26 2018 at 9:52am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Boy John I stopped by my local bullet store and looked at Winchester 9mm factory rounds and they had like 10 to pick from but not the steel like you bought. Now like 10 or 15 years ago I reloaded steel case 9mm that everybody said was unsafe or not doable and I had no problems. I am not even sure what the problems were at the time but 9mm brass is so available for free at the range not sure you would ever need to worry about loading steel cases anyway. I will get to wally world to look at the ones you got but not sure why I am even bothering but it ain't but something to do. I also looked at subsonic 9mm at the store but didn't bite on that either. Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: November 26 2018 at 1:18pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Went to Wally World and they didn't have the Win and had not even heard of them before!! Craig

John Van Gelder

Posted: November 27 2018 at 7:48am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

The stuff I got seems to shoot very good in my guns, and once in a while it is kind of nice to shoot stuff you did not have to load..

The ones I re loaded seem to function just fine.

I heard some shooting this weekend, I will have to go over to the rock pit and see if there is any free brass on the ground.

Most of the brass I have now is "imported", a friend of mine in California, goes out with his wife and hits the shooting spots in the Mojave desert, they find brass by the bucket full. That where most of my 9mm cases came from.
Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

Desert Eagle41

Posted: November 27 2018 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Well out of desperation I am loading 40 cal as I have tons of brass and only a few hundred loaded. The big news here is I found 41AE mixed in with 40. Only 6 or so but it's something. This is the last place I may find any as it was a mixed Tupperware bowl with mainly 40 in it. It's empty now. I would say 98 percent of my brass is sorted at this point so I don't expect to find much more 41. I do have enough to load 25 or so. Oh John I would buy some of that steel if I could find it but it's not here I guess. Boy there is a bunch of loads to pick from for 9mm like Federal had about 15 or so different rounds maybe more. The boxes are kind of cute. Really not interested as I like to reload!!!!!!!!Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: November 27 2018 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Well looking over bullets for the 40 cal I found Sierra 135g JHP and of course there is no data for it but I can use 155g and get there with that. It looks like around 9g for the 40 and if I go to 10mm it would be 10g this is Power Pistol. I did find a Sierra reloading manual but it is from 1978 and they didn't have 135g bullets but that's ok as they didn't have 40 cal or 10mm. Wow what a day. Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: November 29 2018 at 12:11pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Got the 40 done and just in this thread I have done 380,357,38sp,41AE,9mm,40 cal. Whew I am tired. I only have some like 27 41AE to load and that is all. Weather is to screwed up to shoot and I have been working on the design of a mobile shooting range for CCW testing. So after the 41AE I am done loading for a while. Craig

turbo1889

Posted: November 29 2018 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote turbo1889

Desert Eagle41 wrote:
. . . I have been
working on the design of a mobile shooting
range for CCW testing. . .

If we are talking a live fire range that
is mobile that is quite an ambitious
project. Flatbed semi-tractor trailer
with nearly trailer length 8-foot diameter
pre-cast concrete culvert tube strapped
down on top with sand bags packed into one
end as the backstop and foam lined the
inside of the culvert and a shooting
position shack on the other end of the
tube also foam lined (noise)? That
would be my best guess as to how one would
make a truly "go anywhere" mobile live
fire pistol range.

Or do you just mean a mobile set of props
that you set up at an existing range where
you don't have to have built in mobile
backstop and side shot safety containment
and noise mitigation?

Edited by turbo1889 on November 29 2018 at 4:39pm

To the most serious charge of "ARMING WOMEN" I plead guilty on multiple counts.
Back to Top View turbo1889's Profile Search for other posts by turbo1889

Desert Eagle41

Posted: November 29 2018 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

It's really a 20' double wall recycled pvc sewer or drainage pipe. I will try to mount on a old boat trailer of which I have a few. Your idea of a back stop is good and I still need to look at that. This would not be bullet proof but may deflect parallel shot bullets to the back stop. Not sure will have to test but am thinking 22 or possibly 9mm. It's really just in the design stage but I have seen the pipe and it's pretty stout. The pipe is very pricey so I need some assurance it will work even if it's just for me. Craig

turbo1889

Posted: November 29 2018 at 5:15pm | IP Logged Quote turbo1889

I understand that with a boat trailer with
limited weight capacity any addition is an
issue but if that PVC is double walled
(I'm assuming it's culvert sized) filling
the void in between the walls could
improve it's angled shot protection
capability. Some kind of plaster or such
that could be pored in to the void between
the inner and outer walls and would harden
to be like a poor man's ceramic. But that
would add weight.

turbo1889

Posted: November 29 2018 at 5:23pm | IP Logged Quote turbo1889

I just remembered something, from when I
did a little work for the construction on
the side, they make bullet resistant
sheetrock. It is not sheetrock but rather
dense fiberglass sheets made from many
layers of fiberglass cloth that are the
same thickness,size, and only slightly
heavier than sheetrock.

I was on a job site where they installed
it for a courtroom. I know they had to
special-order it, I have no idea how much
it cost. But it might be worth looking at
and you wouldn't need the tube you could
just build a stick frame rectangular
trailer and just line it with that stuff
at least for the sides, you would probably
need something more substantial for the
backstop.

Desert Eagle41

Posted: November 29 2018 at 5:46pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

good idea, I am just at the beginning of the design of this and I wanted simple if possible. Remember too the CCW test is up to me and I can design a test to fit the range if need be. Please keep the ideas coming. Craig

turbo1889

Posted: November 30 2018 at 1:01am | IP Logged Quote turbo1889

No more ideas so far as to construction.

But would like to add my $0.02 for your
course design. Please, please, teach
RETENTION as a major point of your course.
There are few things that annoy me
personally then guns falling out of
peoples clothes and purses, that is 110%
unacceptable and shows a level of
sloppyness and lazy-brain behavior that
questions wether the person in question
should be carrying a gun. Much less if
someone tries to take your gun from you
which is what most people think of when
one says "retention" let's start with just
making sure it don't freaking fall out!
Then we can move on from there to someone
trying to take your gun from you.

Been through a few courses myself a few
didn't even mention this issue and those
that did didn't cover it near as much as
they should.

Desert Eagle41

Posted: November 30 2018 at 6:40am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Hey Turbo the Ohio course, handbook, concerning concealed carry does not mention your concerns, Not sure why as they are over the top with safety and possibly copied the NRA on the safety end of things. The class is 8hrs. The shooting is 2hrs. I can teach the handbook in about 2hrs but I feel the shooting is either too long for people who can shoot and not even close for people who have never shot. There is flexibility for the instructor to do as he or she deems necessary. My idea for a pipe say 20' long is to test if they can shoot good enough to hit a pie plate at 15' or something like that. I am supposed to test for gun handling loading and unloading etc. There is more but not much more. Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: December 01 2018 at 2:13pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

OK I am down to 26 41AE to load and they are resized primed and expanded. I have 3 different bullets to pick from and I will load 170g Sierra JHP. Nice bullet and I only have 26 to do anyway. I had 27 but one turned out to be 40 cal and wouldn't fit in the 9mm shell holder which is what works for 41AE. Should be done tonight. Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: December 01 2018 at 6:28pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

I didn't flare enough and had some problems but they are done and I am moving on!!! Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: December 02 2018 at 11:51am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Well I just found a box from Berry's that are 125g 9mm JHP. I really didn't know I had these. I haven't bought anything from them in 10 or 15 years. It's a box of 250. I have been loading a few of this weight lately as I been getting pulldowns from American. I will sure use these. They don't look like Berry's but I am not sure what Berry's should look like. The box label matches the contents so I think it is correct. Nice find though. Craig

John Van Gelder

Posted: December 02 2018 at 2:16pm | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

I have to applaud your tenacity, I would have given up on loading for that Edsel (.41AE) long ago.. :)

Desert Eagle41

Posted: December 02 2018 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Well John after looking around and buying some odd bullets I now have about 500+or- 41 caliber I can load and most of them will reload easy if I have the brass. It does make me want to get the brass catcher built or bought. Craig

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version