Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Handguns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Handguns
Subject Topic: LEOSA Qual today! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
M700

Online Status: Offline
Posted: September 28 2018 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote M700

Ah, it felt so good to head out to the police range and shoot with my old buddies today. I used to run that range, now I'm only out there once or twice a year.

For those who don't know, the 2004 LEOSA, Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act, allows retired cops like me, who maintain our handgun qualification annually, to carry in all 50 states. This is great for me personally, and I believe that more importantly, it puts a lot of qualified, experienced, concealed carry guys 'n gals out there on the streets. Ready to help if necessary.

Frankly I wish all law-abiding American firearms owners had a national right to carry. Perhaps someday we will have that!

At any rate - it's not a difficult qual - just 25 shots from 3 yards to 15 yards. Some drawing from the holster, some shooting from the "ready" some strong side, some weak side shooting. I did pretty well, scoring 250/250, but I can see that my group should be higher in the silhouette, and there are a few wide shots that should be tightened up. I used Nosler 185 grain JHP ammo for today's qual, with my old Kimber 1911, adding 25 more shots to the total.

Sure felt good to get out on the police range with my old buddies again.

Regards, Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

richhodg66

Online Status: Online
Posted: September 29 2018 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

Great! And I agree with you that more guns out there in the hands of people who know what they're doing is a good thing.

doghawg

Posted: September 29 2018 at 8:29pm | IP Logged Quote doghawg

Guy

That makes me wonder how I'd score in a LEO qualifying shoot with a 1911. I practice at 10 yd. on home made silhouettes with a two to the chest one to the head drill and also at 25 and 50 yard swingers. Have to admit to not practicing weak side shooting lately. I remember that the results of trying weak side shooting was humbling though...

Randy

M700

Posted: September 30 2018 at 3:29am | IP Logged Quote M700

I think you'd do just fine on the LEOSA course of fire that I shoot. It's all at modest range, and the time limits are pretty relaxed actually.

Ya, that "weak side" shooting with one hand is challenging!

I do a little of that almost every time I go to the range, just because it's a lot easier if I do it from time to time.

Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

Ham Gunner

Posted: September 30 2018 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

I too would like to see all those that have concealed carry licenses to be able to carry nationwide. It does not make any sense for one to be perfectly legal on one side of a state line and then just step one foot across the line into an anti-gun state and be subject to jail time.

I also qualify every year as required by the LEOSA Act, in fact I did so just last week. The LEOSA requirement is up to the individual state and our qualification is almost a carbon copy of the normal qualification required of all annual Missouri law enforcement qualification and very similar to Guy's with fairly generous timed drills to include the dreaded off hand unsupported which requires a bit of concentration to prevent pulled shots, although Missouri requires 50 rounds. I always enjoy it because it is an opportunity for me to visit with my former law enforcement friends. I qualify along side my fellow Bureau of Prisons employees as well as former US Marshals, FBI, and other retired officers that in most cases I had known for years. It also gives us an excuse to eat dinner together afterwards. We make it an annual event.

In Missouri, we have the ability to carry concealed without a permit of any kind as long as one can legally possess a firearm. The concealed carry permits are still issued for those that wish to obtain them, with only an eight hour class to include a proficiency drill and of course the $100 processing fee given to the local Sheriffs office on top of the cost of the class. There is a $50 cost for a renewed permit every 5 years.

My LEOSA class costs me $35 annually plus I have to use factory ammo so with the cost of a box of ammo being $20 at the least, it is really cheaper to just obtain a state concealed carry permit. Plus the state concealed carry permit makes carry in National Parks legal as long as the state where the park is located has reciprocal acceptance of one's state's permit. My wife has the Missouri concealed permit so I suppose that while visiting a National Park, she will be the one packing unless I decide to fork over my money to the local Sheriff's office.   

But even though the law supposedly makes it legal for active and retired law enforcement to legally carry in all 50 states except in certain areas such as courts, federal and state or local governmental buildings, and a few other areas including National Parks believe it or not, doing so in anti-gun states and most certainly in anti-gun cities must be done so at ones own peril. If arrested for legally carrying, one will certainly win in court, after spending thousands of dollars in court costs and lawyer fees, but it is a reality that many jurisdictions ignore the law and one will more than likely spend some time behind bars before being exonerated. And then, normally without the return of one's firearms.

When the nation is so divided that even those that spend their careers in law enforcement can not be trusted to carry a firearm, something is seriously wrong.

I live in Missouri, but I will not cross the Mississippi River and step foot in Illinois, nor will I ever again visit California, New York, New Jersey, or many other unfriendly states that have chosen to ignore common sense concerning self protection utilizing guns.

I guess one must carry a ball bat to be safe in many areas of our own country. Ball bats too may eventually be outlawed by mentally ill Leftists. Liberalism is a mental disorder.    

Edited by Ham Gunner on September 30 2018 at 10:54am

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

JD45

Posted: October 02 2018 at 9:12pm | IP Logged Quote JD45

But you gotta be in IL to shoot trap at the Grand.

Trust me, its worth it.
Back to Top View JD45's Profile Search for other posts by JD45

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version