Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Hunting
 Handloads.Com Forum : Hunting
Subject Topic: Enough Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
M700

Online Status: Offline
Posted: October 12 2018 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote M700

Yup, figured it out this morning. I've reached "enough" for big game hunting this season. The freezers are just about bursting. If my son gets a buck this coming week, we will have trouble finding freezer space for it.

So... I'm not pulling the trigger on any big game animal here in Washington this year, unless it's trying to eat me. :grin:

Besides... Clark and I are getting real eager to head out for chukar & pheasant!

Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

STCM(SW)

Posted: October 12 2018 at 1:43pm | IP Logged Quote STCM(SW)

I wish I had that problem of no room in the freezer...

Back to Top View STCM(SW)'s Profile Search for other posts by STCM(SW)

M700

Posted: October 12 2018 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Well.... Get out there this season and clobber a buck!

STCM(SW)

Posted: October 12 2018 at 7:28pm | IP Logged Quote STCM(SW)

Will be trying tomorrow!

Back to Top View STCM(SW)'s Profile Search for other posts by STCM(SW)

richhodg66

Posted: October 14 2018 at 6:41am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

We probably have enough to get through the year. I do want to spend more time squirrel hunting this year, I'd also like to give goose hunting a try. Then there's coyotes...

I'll get out in pursuit of a buck, I'd like to put some decent antlers on the wall again. We hhave some friends who've asked me if I could get them a deer this year, so I may try to do that. Oldest son is away going through his MOS training for the National Guard now, but he should be back by the regular firearms season, so if I can get him out and serious, that may fill our neighbor's freezer.

Bottom line though, I really enjoy the time in the woods in November, even if it's with a cross bow. I'll most likely do some of that.

Ham Gunner

Posted: October 14 2018 at 12:09pm | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

Bird hunting is a whole bunch of fun. As a young lad I did hunt quail locally every year. Not many around anymore. I started pheasant hunting up in S. Dakota for five days every year and wow was that a blast. Most of my hunting buddies have all gotten passed away or are now too old to tromp up pheasants and I would certainly have a bit of trouble putting in the effort myself anymore.

I love venison, but now that the kids are all grown up and gone, my wife and I just do not need a freezer full. I still somehow end up with my freezers full of meat though. But most of it is smoked and vacuum packed beef and pork, which I actually do give plenty of it away to my children. I love sitting on my deck and tending to my smoker now days. Time that I used to use tromping through the woods has slimed down a bit, thanks to old age and my busted up old body.

Although I do not have ready access to the larger game, I normally end up with at least one and usually two deer for the freezer. Back years ago when I was more aggressive in my bow hunting, I would normally get at least one archery and one or two during firearms seasons myself and then there would be one and occasionally two that my son had gotten during firearms season that we processed as well. That was a lot of deer to process ourselves and although not all that much meat per animal, we normally gave probably half of that away to family and friends after we done all that work processing. It was a lot of work.

I just can not manage that much work anymore because of my lower back, even though I am retired and actually have the time now, I just do not want to end up in pain for weeks to recuperate from unnecessary strain. Even being able to sit while trimming and grinding and doing the final processing for long periods of time ends with several nights with no sleep because of the inflamed back and burning numbness in my legs from the pressure on the sciatic nerves.

I absolutely will not pay a processor to do my game. I have in the past, back before phone check-in when the deer had to physically be checked at wildlife check stations by the end of the day killed. Since I had to transport the deer back to civilization anyway, I used to drop them off at a processor on my way back to deer camp so that I could continue hunting for what tags I had left. Around $100 (now more like $150) to process one deer for only about 40 lbs. of meat which, by the way, might not even be from your deer, was just too expensive and I knew I was not getting all the meat off of my deer and likely not even my deer that I had carefully cleaned and cared for.

I still plan on at least ten days of deer camp this year. A week of archery (crossbow) and then a few days with firearms. No pressure whatsoever to fill tags anymore. That makes my time hunting and in camp so much less demanding. I did always enjoy it though, even when it was a whole lot of work.

Edited by Ham Gunner on October 14 2018 at 12:36pm

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

M700

Posted: October 15 2018 at 7:03am | IP Logged Quote M700

STCM(SW) wrote:
Will be trying tomorrow!

Seeing any game yet STCM(SW) ?

Guy

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login