Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Off Topic
 Handloads.Com Forum : Off Topic
Subject Topic: Wandering Central Washington Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
M700

Online Status: Offline
Posted: November 04 2018 at 5:38pm | IP Logged Quote M700

A favorite trip of mine, I spent the weekend with good friends, wandering and camping in the sagebrush covered hillsides & canyons of Central Washington, just a hop, skip and a jump from home. It's a mildly challenging 4wd route. This fall we enjoyed terrific weather! Sunny, with highs in the 60's and a fair bit of wind. Last year? Same trip, some of the same folks, and we got snow! :)

I'll post up some photos I grabbed today & yesterday, sort of explain the trip that way.

Allstown (or Alston) a semi-ghost town in wheat country:

Moses Coulee - part of the "great floods" when the ice dams broke. Now ranches, and a bizarre failed 1970's resort community...

Just up from the entrance to Slack Canyon. That's Douglas Creek running below. This country is vast. I often hunt here for mule deer & chukar, sometimes for coyote:

The fall leaves are mostly gone, the wind has stripped them away. These are in a sheltered canyon and remain. For now:

Crossing Douglas Creek on Saturday. No, that's NOT my Jeep! :) Belongs to my friend Judy. Our Jeeps are near twins. Hers is an actual Rubicon, mine is a pretend Rubicon. ;)

Judy's Rubicon climbing the rocky slope on wet tires:

JR is Judy's husband, driving his old Toyota and doing a mighty fine job of it. 325,000 miles on that thing now!

JR built last night's campfire!

My campsite:

Breakfast this morning. A three-egg omlette, with jalapeno pepper jack cheese and some overly scorched onion bits, as well as some good coffee:

Today, on the way home. I live in the valley below, where the Columbia River flows:

Great weekend, great people, pretty good weather, incredible scenery. Quite a bit of wildlife, but sightings were fleeting. I had my 30-30 Glenfield in the Jeep, and a compact 9mm Kahr on my belt. We were a pretty well-armed group. Some of the route we took out of there today was pretty danged hairy. Everyone handled the steep climbs, washouts, rocks etc just fine. :)

Guy

Edited by M700 on November 05 2018 at 12:04am
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

BigBoreWizard

Online Status: Offline
Posted: November 19 2018 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote BigBoreWizard

Very nice pics. Beautiful country for sure. Ive never
been up that way, but looks like a great time. Oh, and
the eggs look delicious. lol. Thanks for the pics. Look
forward to seeing more. Take care

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login