Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
richhodg66

Online Status: Offline
Posted: November 17 2018 at 5:57pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

I am the least fad-driven guy I know and tend to like vintage stuff and also don't believe all the hype about this cartridge, not sure how it giving similar ballistics as other 6.5s can be so much better.

That said, wife and I were in the PX on Fort Riley today and I looked at one. I have read nothing but glowing reports about these cheap Rugers. And they do feel cheap, but everybody says the shoot beautifully right out of the box. Price on one is $440 and no sales tax at the PX. Next Saturday they're having a 15% off sale on all their guns. I am seriously tempted to go all out and try something real new and modern.

We'll see if sleeping on it a few evenings will make me re-think it. Already have too many things that don't get shot much.

hoghunter

Posted: November 17 2018 at 6:48pm | IP Logged Quote hoghunter

Although I don't own any, I've seen and handled a few Ruger Americans at the range but no 6.5 Creedmoors.

The down side risk is low -i.e. they are cheap.

One shooter I know has a 243 and with tailor reloads he was shooting about 1.25 groups which isn't bad for this level of rifle.

They are light weight so if recoil bothers you I wouldn't get one in a heavy caliber that you want to shoot a lot at the range.

The trigger was ok, a little heavy but no creep.

From the limited number I've seen they can serve as a functional hunting rifle and can be improved with reloading.

For a little more $ you can get a Tikka which I feel is far superior - I have 3 of them.

Back to Top View hoghunter's Profile Search for other posts by hoghunter

dahlin

Posted: November 17 2018 at 7:05pm | IP Logged Quote dahlin

I have 223 and 308 both in Ruger Americans and both are very accurate !" groups at 100 yards for the money they are a bargain as for 6.5 cheedmore I have one in a Browning A bolt very accurate have not shot a deer with it yet but it sure looks like it would do the job and light recoil that's a real + my 70 year old bones don't hold up well to hard recoil. Randy
Back to Top View dahlin's Profile Search for other posts by dahlin

M700

Posted: November 18 2018 at 2:56am | IP Logged Quote M700

Helped a friend sight-in his 7-08 Ruger American before an elk hunt a couple of months ago.

Doggone thing shot terrific! He was using 140 grain Nosler Accubonds in factory ammo. Was absolutely delighted to clang the 300 yard gong after we sighted his rifle in at 200 yards. It's a shooter!

And the little experience I have with the 6.5 Creedmoor... well, it's easy on the shoulder and tends to shoot very nicely indeed.

Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

richhodg66

Posted: November 18 2018 at 3:17am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

#1 Son's first deer rifle was a Remington Model 7 in .260 Remington and it's a neat little combo. He killed a few deer with it, eventually outgrew the youth stock on it and I got a take off synthetic that is an adult length of pull for it. Still a light, handy rifle, never been as accurate as I think it should be, but I haven't really messed with it like I should.

He went in the Marine Corps, got married and divorced and basically preoccupied with other things, but he's back around now and the little rifle is here unshot for several years.

Not sure why the 6.5 Creedmoor took off and the .260 languished. Doesn't appear to be much difference and cartridges in that class seem to be the perfect white tail combo.

The Rugers are reputed to be very good by everyone, but I do have to admit to being turned off by the cheap feel. Still, when I went deer hunting with my small ring 7x57 sporter last month, it sat out in the rain all afternoon and because things were so wet and washed out, I took a spill in some serious soupy mud pulling the deer out in the dark and so did the rifle. I think getting one of those Rugers wet and caked with mud would be easier for me to take.

I need to set up to reload for a new caliber like I need a hole in my head, but may do it just to see what all the hype is about.

Ranch 13

Posted: November 18 2018 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote Ranch 13

The 6.5 creedmoor took off like a rocket due to the number of precision rifle
matches held around the country. Creedmoor sports developed the cartridge
and offers up match grade ammo for it.
My neighbors son in law bought a Ruger precision rifle chambered with it, and
it is super accurate with Hornady factory ammo. My neighbor says in his
opinion it's just a 243 shooting a 140 gr bullet.... We planned on doing some
reloading for it, but I don't think the weather is going to cooperate and let us
get that project over with before he deploys around the first of the year.
With the widespread popularity of the cartridge I think that reloading
component brass will be available for a very long time, unlike some of the other
super duty cartridges of the last few years.
I too wonder just what the 6.5 will do that the 260 or the venerable old swede
can't accomplish.

GUSA #6
http://historicshooting.com/mybb/index.php
Back to Top View Ranch 13's Profile Search for other posts by Ranch 13 Visit Ranch 13's Homepage

richhodg66

Posted: November 18 2018 at 8:27am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

Seems to be more marketing than anything else. Truthfully, you want flat shooting and accurate with low recoil, there are quite a few calibers that have been doing it a long time, and given equal quality barrels and rifles, will likely do just as well as the Creedmoor.

If I get one of these, it's gonna eventually shoot cast. I have several 6.5 molds now from my failed Swede sporter experiment. I might not hunt deer with cast in one (but I could), but I still feel like maybe I gave up on the 6.5 and cast a little too easy. Still don't regret getting rid of it though.

I might just spend a little more and get one of the Savage 110 variants over the Ruger, hard to get past how cheap they feel though I'm sure they perform.

Ranch 13

Posted: November 18 2018 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote Ranch 13

I've handled the Ruger American, and they do feel pretty cheap, but no
cheaper than the Savage Axis. We got two of the Savages chambered in 308 at
the Friends of the NRA banguet table of guns drawing, a couple of years ago.
One of those we haven't shot, the other I shot a little bit, and it shot very well.

GUSA #6
http://historicshooting.com/mybb/index.php
Back to Top View Ranch 13's Profile Search for other posts by Ranch 13 Visit Ranch 13's Homepage

Buffalogun

Posted: November 18 2018 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote Buffalogun

Couple years ago I picked up a Savage Axis chambered
in .308 Win. I cut the barrel back to 18" for use as a
tree stand deer rifle. It shoots into 1" at 100 yds.

I purchased the Axis with the full intentions of re-
barreling to .260 Rem. I bought an E.R.Shaw
replacement kit in .260. The kit came with the barrel,
barrel nut wrench, headspace gauges, gun oil and bore
cleaner.

I haven't shot the .260 barrel much as I've been busy
with the hurricane cleanup and other matters. However,
I think the .260 barrel will shoot just fine, too.

I was turned away from Ruger years ago when the
accuracy of their barrels was less than good. Their
barrels were made out of house, not by Ruger. On the
other hand Savage rifles have had a good reputation
for good accuracy for many years.

The attraction of the Axis for me was its low cost and
the ease of changing the barrel to a different
cartridge. Setting the headspace is a cinch on the
Savage, too.
Currently, several companies are making replacement
barrels for Savage rifles. Bolt heads are replaceable
and available as well.

I don't regret my purchase of the Axis. I didn't
expect a show piece but it is a shooter!

And, currently Savage is giving a rebate on the Axis!

Mike

M700

Posted: November 19 2018 at 7:50am | IP Logged Quote M700

Not long ago I took a look at the Ruger Hawkeye bolt action, in the laminated stock, this one in 6.5 Creedmoor. Nice rifle. Heavy enough to "hang" well while shooting, light enough to carry all day.

I suspect it would make a real nice "one-rifle" for a hunter who was interested in anything short of the great bears. Yes, I know it could take them too - but I'd rather have something more powerful for those big furballs!

That Ruger sure looked and felt good though. Have always liked their integral scope mounts on the receiver.

Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

RT58

Posted: November 20 2018 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote RT58

richhodg66 wrote:
...Not sure why the 6.5 Creedmoor took off and the .260 languished. Doesn't appear to be much difference and cartridges in that class seem to be the perfect white tail combo...

Why, because it is a fad cartridge and shooters seem to be way more gullible now days.

The .260 has higher powder capacity and will give higher velocities. The difference with the 6.5 Creedmore is that it's short enough to take the extra long, low drag match bullets and still fit in a .308 Win. sized magazine.
Back to Top View RT58's Profile Search for other posts by RT58

dahlin

Posted: November 20 2018 at 9:36am | IP Logged Quote dahlin

When we bought our 6.5 Browning that was what was on the shelf I have not seen a 260 Rem chambered in a new rifle for some time also 6.5 Creedmoor ammo is available just about every where. Randy
Back to Top View dahlin's Profile Search for other posts by dahlin

steven

Posted: December 11 2018 at 7:15am | IP Logged Quote steven

a question to RT58. please name some low drag match bullets along
with their OAL. My son built a 6.5 on a AR15 platform and i would like
to load him some quality rounds. thanks steve

RT58

Posted: December 11 2018 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote RT58

Steven, I don't load anything in 6.5mm and, as far as I can remember the only manual I have that would give the OAL of their bullets is Berger.

I'm assuming you are talking about the 6.5 Grendel since it's built on an AR-15, is that correct?

With the popularity of the 6.5's rising so rapidly I'm sure every big bullet manufacturer and some lesser known ones are making low drag bullets for them, that's where the fad comes in. Check the various bullet makers, such as Berger, Lapua, Sierra, Nosler and etc., and you might even do a web search for smaller custom makers, looking for 6.5mm "match grade" low drag bullets.

If you want I can check the manuals I have on hand, but they are a bit dated. Only the Berger has data for the 6.5 Grendel or Creedmoor.
Back to Top View RT58's Profile Search for other posts by RT58

KinleyWater

Posted: December 13 2018 at 6:04pm | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

RE the Ruger American - Was at the store the other day and looked over the Ranch Rifle version in 300BLK, if I recall. I found it interesting that the bolt is machined from a single piece of bar stock and the rotating portion of the mechanism is attached at the back end. Looked to be a cock on closing system where the compression of the firing pin spring disengaged a block which allowed the bolt to turn.

I got a really good look at it after I though to remove the bolt and inspect the chamber and bore. Then the rear of the bolt popped back into its un-cocked (or maybe it was cocked) position and I couldn't seat the thing back in the receiver again properly. I could get it in, sure, but the bolt wouldn't close all the way because the catchment which compresses the spring was rotated to the wrong angle.

Eventually had to ask person behind the counter for help. He couldn't make it work either - very embarrassing for both of us. Lesson learned? That rifle was a no-go for me, no matter the price.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version