Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: Barrel break in Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Ham Gunner

Online Status: Offline
Posted: December 05 2018 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

I really have no idea if careful break in would benefit the longevity of a barrel and I doubt if that could be proven anyway since no two bores are alike. But I certainly do believe that if a bore fouls excessively, then it is likely worthwhile to attempt to improve the bore to see if the fouling problem can be reduced.

As for whether the accuracy would be improved or not by a certain type of initial break in has certainly not been proven to me even after all the articles that I have read on the subject.

I have proven to myself that if a bore fouls fairly quickly then the accuracy will likewise quickly deteriorate. I have improved the overall accuracy of a bore by reducing the fouling if I was planning on shooting a good many rounds prior to cleaning. I reduced the fouling problem by honing the bore using various methods of abrasives to smooth out the rough bore.

The life of the bore might indeed be shortened somewhat by honing, but if I am unable to enjoy the rifle due to the short period of shooting before it become excessively fouled, then I am not likely to want to keep that rifle anyway.   

Edited by Ham Gunner on December 05 2018 at 3:48pm

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

richhodg66

Posted: December 05 2018 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

"The life of the bore might indeed be shortened somewhat by honing, but if I am unable to enjoy the rifle due to the short period of shooting before it become excessively fouled, then I am not likely to want to keep that rifle anyway."

I think way too much is said about barrel life out there anyway. Unless you are a very avid varmint shooter, of a competitive shooter like Guy who shots a lot and has very high accuracy expectations, most of us will not live long enough to burn out a barrel.

The reducing fouling is a valid concern, though, particularly since what I'm after is an exclusively cast bullet shooter, and fouling makes a difference sooner with the softer bullets. Once I have this rifle to a consistent bore condition, it'll never see another jacketed bullet as long as I own it. A while back, I realized that the vast majority of my shooting anymore is cast on my 100 yard range here at the house, and the majority of those were .30 calibers, so figured I should lose some of the guns I never shoot and get something special for the task. Local shop made me a deal on a new in the box heavy barreled Model 70 Winchester, one of the last ones made before FN took over (push feed). I plan to shoot it a lot, especially when I actually have some day light after work come Spring. A guy could wear out most of the moving parts of the rifle before burning out the barrel with cast loads. I hope this one shoots as well as I think it will.   

hoghunter

Posted: December 05 2018 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote hoghunter

richhodg66 wrote:
"The life of the bore might indeed be shortened somewhat by honing, but if I am unable to enjoy the rifle due to the short period of shooting before it become excessively fouled, then I am not likely to want to keep that rifle anyway."

I think way too much is said about barrel life out there anyway. Unless you are a very avid varmint shooter, of a competitive shooter like Guy who shots a lot and has very high accuracy expectations, most of us will not live long enough to burn out a barrel.

The reducing fouling is a valid concern, though, particularly since what I'm after is an exclusively cast bullet shooter, and fouling makes a difference sooner with the softer bullets. Once I have this rifle to a consistent bore condition, it'll never see another jacketed bullet as long as I own it. A while back, I realized that the vast majority of my shooting anymore is cast on my 100 yard range here at the house, and the majority of those were .30 calibers, so figured I should lose some of the guns I never shoot and get something special for the task. Local shop made me a deal on a new in the box heavy barreled Model 70 Winchester, one of the last ones made before FN took over (push feed). I plan to shoot it a lot, especially when I actually have some day light after work come Spring. A guy could wear out most of the moving parts of the rifle before burning out the barrel with cast loads. I hope this one shoots as well as I think it will.   

Well said - I've burned a few out in my time with jacket bullets but I'm not the average shooter either - I shoot twice a week at the range year around and hunt varmints / predators year around and big game during open seasons.

Even so, the cost of a barrel replacement is minor compared to the costs of the rounds I expended burning them out. To me a barrel is like a truck tire - they wear out and need replaced occasionally - No big deal. I also spread my shooting over various rifles and never shoot from a hot barrel unless needed in a hunting situation for a second shot.

Regarding cast bullets - I doubt one could wear a barrel out with them in one's life time. They also are a lot of fun to shoot - low recoil and cheap if you cast them - I like cheap - I love low recoil.
Back to Top View hoghunter's Profile Search for other posts by hoghunter

turbo1889

Posted: December 05 2018 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote turbo1889

Although cast bullets themselves put very
little wear on a barrel the first inch or
so of the barrel is still subject to "fire
baking" wear more or less depending on
what kind of powder loads one is putting
behind their cast bullets and also
somewhat depending on the cartridge casing
dimensions.

Although I have yet to wear out a barrel
using cast I have seen some "fire baking"
wear from all the cast lead 308 loads I
have put through one of my guns. Several
buckets of nearly free boxer primed mil-
surp brass, casting my own lead pills with
two multi-cavity gang molds, cheap 8-lb
jugs of surplus 50-BMG ball powder that
works as a full case compressed load, Lee
auto indexing turrent press with auto
powder measure that pumps out c finished
round every four pulls of the lever, a
semi-auto gun that cycles with such cast
loads with a plain steel barrel, and a
happy trigger finger can add up enough to
create some wear over the years.

Not ready to replace yet but definitely
noticeable fire baking wear in the throat
area into the beginning of the rifling.

Edited by turbo1889 on December 05 2018 at 7:03pm

To the most serious charge of "ARMING WOMEN" I plead guilty on multiple counts.
Back to Top View turbo1889's Profile Search for other posts by turbo1889

richhodg66

Posted: December 05 2018 at 7:09pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

One of the things I was going to try was AA 8700 in the .308. I've mostly used it in jacketed loads in the 7mmMag, but also with heavy cast loads in the .30-06. I'd like to see what the 311284 will do with it in a good .308 bolt gun. The stuff meters well, and you pretty much can't fit enough in most cases to be dangerous.

turbo1889

Posted: December 05 2018 at 7:54pm | IP Logged Quote turbo1889

AA-8700 is not a 100% equivalent to mil-
surp 50-BMG powder. That and not all mil-
surp 50-BMG is the same. Some ignites a
little easier and burns just a little
faster then the others. Can't remember
for sure but I think it is the stuff
intended for the tracer rounds. Got a
bunch of it and also some other mil-surp
50-BMG powder, keep them on separate
shelves marked with different colors of
tape. Red tape for the stuff that ignites
slightly easier and burns slightly faster.
Orange tape for the stuff that doesn't
ignite quite as well and burns slightly
slower.

The Orange tape stuff works well in large
case capacity to bore diameter bolt guns
and will also work well in bolt guns with
not as high of case capacity to bore
diameter ratio with about a 7-8 grain
starter charge of R-7 in the bottom of the
case topped with Orange tape label mil-
surp 50-BMG compressed on top keeping
everything in it's place. 30-06 is about
the midpoint on that spectrum. 200-grain-
ish cast and you can use orange without a
starter charge. 150-160-grain-ish cast
and you either need to switch to red tape
label or use the starter charge.

The semi-auto I speak of is my AR-10. Gas
setting on the largest hole of the three
setting, 190-to-200-grain cast loaded with
a full case compressed load of the red
tape label with a magnum primer and that
gun will run those loads all day happy as
a lark.

I've put a lot of cast loads so loaded
through that gun.

To the most serious charge of "ARMING WOMEN" I plead guilty on multiple counts.
Back to Top View turbo1889's Profile Search for other posts by turbo1889

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version