Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: High Power Memories Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
M700

Online Status: Offline
Posted: November 26 2018 at 8:24am | IP Logged Quote M700

Came across some photos from a few years back when I was shooting High Power competition, mostly prone matches, but some across-the-course matches as well. I cut back on those matches when my work schedule interfered too often, and gave them up completely when neck problems forced that decision.

Sometimes I shot the "Green Machine" in these matches, but often I used this nice old push-feed Win Model 70 match rifle. It had several barrels, including the 30" Krieger Palma barrel pictured. Always chambered it in 308 Win. Sometimes I shot with a scope and other times with the rather nice match sights. Quite a rifle, built by one-time 1,000 yard national champion, Jim Cloward. After I stopped shooting the matches, I sold the rifle to a fellow who was getting his son into competitive shooting. It was one heck of a rifle and taught me a lot about marksmanship & handloading.

On the 600 yard firing line, NCW Gun Club, Wenatchee, WA:

Same firing line, before we poured the slab:

500 yard line, Machias, Washington:

I miss those matches, but my neck can't deal with that much prone shooting anymore. Believe I'm going to give it a try soon though, our club has a less formal 600 yard "practice" day coming up. We hold either a match or a practice every month of the year. The club has been here for 70 years now. :) Nice place to hang out and bust some caps!

Guy

Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

twillis

Posted: November 26 2018 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote twillis

Nice Guy, though laying in that gravel doesn't look fun!

Terry
Back to Top View twillis's Profile Search for other posts by twillis

M700

Posted: November 26 2018 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote M700

twillis wrote:
Nice Guy, though laying in that gravel doesn't look fun!

Thanks - wasn't all that long ago, maybe 10 years since the last photo, the one with me standing.

I kinda liked the gravel better than the concrete pad we poured. The gravel could sorta be squished-around a bit for comfort, and it drained rain away better.

But the slab is really, much nicer. I'm glad we poured it. Maybe someday we'll get around to putting a roof over it like we did with the 300 yard range.

Guy

twillis

Posted: November 27 2018 at 1:17pm | IP Logged Quote twillis

Roofs are nice. They make rainy day matches more enjoyable if even possible, not that Washington has any rain! Trivia for you, Pittsburgh actually has clocked more rainy/cloudy days than Seattle in recent years!

Terry

hoghunter

Posted: November 27 2018 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote hoghunter

When I was in the Army I joined the post pistol club where I learn to shoot competitive bulls eye (i.e. one handed, slow, timed and rapid fire). I had some great instructors and really enjoyed competing against other military bases in the area.

When I return to civilian life I continued to compete for about 30 years but had to give it up in the late 90's due to an elbow injury that wouldn't permit me to hold a pistol with one hand anymore over the long course of fire. I retired with a Distinguish Expert rating (285 out of 300 score average)

I sure do miss it but it motivated me to focus on rifle shooting which I now enjoy a lot primarily hunting varmints and predators. There is nothing like testing yourself in the field at variable distances and variable weather conditions against targets that don't always present the best profile or sit still.
Back to Top View hoghunter's Profile Search for other posts by hoghunter

M700

Posted: November 27 2018 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote M700

I agree. Competition against others in the same conditions is challenging.

And a real truth-teller.

Some iternet commandos don't get that.    Actual matches, against others, in real weather... Hmmm.

Guy

richhodg66

Posted: November 29 2018 at 6:06am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

That's a demanding game, to be sure.

I don't shoot competitively at anything, but I think abut it now and then, I just can get into the mind set that I want something that is going to require that level of dedication and self discipline, just don't need another source of stress in my life.

Kinda funny, the past couple of years, conditions have been such that I am actually shooting a lot more than I used to and enjoying just shooting for the sake of shooting rather than trying to develop a load for this or that or testing something. I spent a good bit of time shooting cast plinking loads off my front piorch from a patio chair last Summer while sipping coffee between shots. Is there a competitive event that replicates that?

I still have my old high school small bore rifle and I understand there is a 100 yard, prone only competition. I could probably do that, though I'd need to spend some time with it. I also coach a kids three position air rifle team, so maybe I ought to get into that, just not sure where there's a league I could sompete in.

Dad and brother are both big time Bullseye competitors, Dad not anymore, but in the day, he was quite the force to be reckoned with. Brother is actually planning a trip to Camp Perry with his club this next year, that should be cool. Cowboy Action would be fun. None of the action pistol shooting interests me.

I've heard there's a club in the Kansas City area that does benchrest cast bullet matches, that is something I might could get into.

Good on you, Guy, for doing something that serious, I don't think I could find the motivation.

M700

Posted: November 29 2018 at 11:15am | IP Logged Quote M700

Well, I was serious about it, not so sure anymore. Will have to see if the neck can tolerate prone. I don't think so. They'll let me shoot the prone stage from a bench at our local club, but my scores won't count for anything. I might do that though. I'd still get to shoot the standing and sitting stages and my neck is fine with those positions.

twillis

Posted: November 30 2018 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote twillis

Guy, you might want to try High Power Silhouette. Ranges are out to 500 meters and everything is shot off hand so your neck stays nice and straight! It's a challenging discipline.

Terry

Tom W.

Posted: November 30 2018 at 7:27pm | IP Logged Quote Tom W.

Whazzat white stuff?

My son had access to a range where I used my .308 to shoot
up to 1k yards. A beautiful single shot bolt action Savage
Model 12 that I foolishly traded......

M700

Posted: December 01 2018 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote M700

twillis wrote:
Guy, you might want to try High Power Silhouette. Ranges are out to 500 meters and everything is shot off hand so your neck stays nice and straight! It's a challenging discipline.

Actually, I have dabbled in that, but my home range doesn't do that sport, and I think it's one heck of a drive to the nearest place that does.

But yes, great idea, I like.

I think I'll just be doing a lot of my "prone" shooting from sitting now - and that's okay. My scores will suffer greatly. Sigh... Should be in fine shape for next hunting season though. I seem to shoot a lot of critters from sitting/kneeling positions.

Regards, Guy

LAH

Posted: December 01 2018 at 7:57pm | IP Logged Quote LAH

Last time in Wenatchee I was picking up a load of apples.

M700

Posted: December 01 2018 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote M700

LAH wrote:
Last time in Wenatchee I was picking up a load of apples.

Lots of apples still ship from here!

M700

Posted: December 01 2018 at 9:03pm | IP Logged Quote M700

"My" gun club has been here since 1948, and the other one, on the other side of the Columbia, has been here longer...

We've been doing rifles, and doing them well, for a long time. I hope it stays that way!

Guy

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version