Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Hunting
 Handloads.Com Forum : Hunting
Subject Topic: Chasing Rifles and Calibers Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
roysclockgun
Newcomer

Online Status: Offline
Posted: December 12 2018 at 4:52am | IP Logged Quote roysclockgun

I began chasing rifles and calibers when I left the US Army in 1964. Now, at age 76, I am finally settled into one rifle and one caliber.

1964, home from 3 years with the 2nd Armored Division and having little cash, I bought a US Model 1917 from a pawn shop for $15 and had a local do some chopping on it, removing the rear sights, cutting the barrel down to 23 inches and installing a sporter stock and 4X scope from Monkey Wards. Investment? Well under $100. In all honesty, I could have stuck with that old heavy 30-06 and would have killed the same numbers of game that I have, using countless other rifles.

First off, I read too much! Jack O'Connor spent much of his life touting the 270Win cartridge. I sold the 30-06 and got a custom Mauser with plastic stock in 270Win. Again, I could have ended my quest right there. I loved the speed of the bullets and the killing power of the 270Win rifles and I have owned five of them.

I kept my 270Wins, but when I went after elk, I fell victim to gun rags touting magnum cartridges for elk, which I know now is pure BS! So, my Magnum phase covered rifles that I owned and hunted in 7mmRemMag, 300WinMag and the worst, 300RUM. Burning much more propellent with little gain, I returned to my 270Win. for all hunting, to include elk. As long as you are a good enough hunter to get within 400 yards of a bull elk and know where to place the bullet, the 270Win will drop bull elk every time.

Next error, back to reading and discovering the 280Rem. Having owned and shot 7x57Mauser, 7mmRemMag and 7mm-08, I knew from hand loading that the 7mm bullet, up to 175gr.. is a better flyer, ballistically, than is the 30-06. I acquired a Browning Stalker in 280Rem. a number of years ago, and have never switched since. For deer the hand loaded Nosler 7mm 120gr. Ballistic Tip (Hunting) is deadly, having dropped my deer in place many times and with others only going less than 20 yards. I love that bullet/cartridge combo, so no more swapping out.

Enjoy all of your gun sports,

Steven in DeLand, FL

M700

Posted: December 12 2018 at 5:36am | IP Logged Quote M700

Steven - similar path as mine!

Started shooting Dad's 1917 30-06 and he told me it was "all the rifle you'll ever need." Hmm. 50 years later, well, he was right! My youngest son started hunting with that rifle nine or ten years ago and has done well with it, taking two good sized black bear and several deer.

I got all hung up on velocity, coyote hunting, varmint shooting... And in 1974 I got a little 6mm Remington 700 BDL. What a nice rifle! My son still uses that same rifle for mule deer & whitetail, and it still does very well.

I hunted with various 300 and 7mm magnums for a while. Still have a 300 WSM sitting here in the safe, doing nothing. Good cartridges. Good rifles.

Got a bug for the 375 H&H. Somehow ended up with TWO of the doggone things! Shot a few black bears with the Ruger Number One. Carried it on more hunts. It's nice. I haven't taken the Model 70 anywhere except to the range. It's nicer.

Some years back I latched onto a 25-06 Rem 700 CDL and still love that thing. Easy on the shoulder. Flat shooting. Lethal. Accurate. Have taken a number of mule deer with it, and a couple of pronghorn.

A few years ago I sort of re-discovered the 30-06 cartridge... Actually I think I was handloading for our old 1917, and thinking about all the success my son has had with it, when it dawned on me that I really ought to have my own 30-06 again... And doggone it, Dad was right!

Mule deer, antelope, black bear, elk, wolf and grizzly, all in 2016, 2017, 2018... It's a terrific rifle & cartridge. Apparently Dad was right, all I really needed all along was a good 30-06 rifle.

Guy

Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

richhodg66

Posted: December 12 2018 at 5:43am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

The truth is, the difference between many, many of the cartridges out there is purely academic and you or the game you're shooting will never know the difference.

Pick what you like, the rifle you like and shot well makes more difference than caliber.

That said, the older I get, more I read and shoot, the old adage that the .30-06 is never a mistake rings true. For the broad range of things it does well, it does it better than anything else.

I'm a gun nut and not likely to whittle down things to one caliber anytime soon, but when/if that happens, rest assured, it'll be a .30-06.

RT58

Posted: December 12 2018 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote RT58

I quit reading the garbage put out by the "experts" a long time ago. They are great at making up stories and giving fake information to get the reader to buy all the latest junk on the market or their "new techniques". Too bad they can't tell people what they really need to know.
Back to Top View RT58's Profile Search for other posts by RT58

roysclockgun
Newcomer

Posted: December 12 2018 at 2:38pm | IP Logged Quote roysclockgun

I'm sure that others can chime in, but just to name a few "world beater" calibers that were introduced, touted to be the greatest thing since sliced bread and then, either went away totally or are just barely hanging on and hard to feed them because ammo is either rare or can't be found at all. Not saying any of them were not great cartridges, just that they were not able to garner enough followers to stay on WalMart shelves:
6mmRem., 284Win., my own beloved 280Rem., most all the "Short Magnums" and "Ultra Magnums", 30-378Mag., 308 Marlin Express. Not trying to name them all. You get the idea. The demand to grab shelf space on other than remote shelves means that the usual supply and demand laws take over. Some firearms owners tout whatever they have owned and used as the best and everyone should have one. My grandfather gave my cousin his ancient Savage 99 in 303Savage. Harry, my cousin, killed deer every year with that rifle. Whenever asked about the best deer rifle/cartridge combo, he of course would suggest that the Savage 99 in 303Savage was the greatest deer rifle of all time!

Steven

M700

Posted: December 12 2018 at 9:15pm | IP Logged Quote M700

BTW guys, Steven and I, though from opposite sides of the country, know each other and have hunted together. I'm grateful that he got me into hunting a wonderful ranch out in Wyoming.

He's the real deal, a great guy, and quite a hunter.

His endorsement of that little 120 gr 7mm Nosler bullet is well founded. When we hunted together he and his wife took four good animals with four shots using those bullets!

Regards, Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

roysclockgun
Newcomer

Posted: December 14 2018 at 4:06am | IP Logged Quote roysclockgun

Guy, thank you for your kind words, Sir. I am still seeing you post grand trophies that you have landed on your hunts.

The 7mm 120gr Nosler Bal.Tip has laid out five deer this season, for my son using his 7nn-08, from our Ga. camp and two for me shooting my 280Rem. No tracking needed on any of them. They are Bang/Flop kills, all.
Keep going Guy!!
Steven

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version