Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: May I please be allowed to brag? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Rex

Online Status: Offline
Posted: December 17 2018 at 1:18pm | IP Logged Quote Rex

I've an old Remington 760, 30-06 with a El Paso K6W Weaver scope. Near as I can tell this rifle was made in 1962 and the butt stock changed to accommodate a scope.
Hadn't shot this old girl for 3 years but have taken a bunch of critters over the years with it. Took it out today to see how close it still was. At 100 yards and I shot over a portable fold up shop bench with a couple of sand bags, three shots landed 1 1/2" above point of aim and according to my cheap dial caliper, measured 0.622 center to center for all three shots. Loads were 150 grain Hornady spire points over 57.3 grains IMR4350.
Wish I could post a picture but you'll have to take my word or drive to Paxton, Ne. and I'll buy you a beer and show you the target.
Not bad for a rifle made in 1962 and an old man manufactured in 1942.
Back to Top View Rex's Profile Search for other posts by Rex

richhodg66

Posted: December 17 2018 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

You gotta love a good rifle. It's a pretty rare one that will do that.

Rex

Posted: December 17 2018 at 4:50pm | IP Logged Quote Rex

Richard, I'm not that good and neither is the rifle but, Hey, I'll take luck over skill any day!

M700

Posted: December 17 2018 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote M700

EXCELLENT!
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

Rex

Posted: December 17 2018 at 6:16pm | IP Logged Quote Rex

This is why a person should shoot more than one group before declaring a load good. I've shot this rifle enough over enough years to call it an honest inch and a quarter rifle and load. One fluke group like today's will sneak in once in a while and make an old man feel better than he actually is.

hoghunter

Posted: December 17 2018 at 6:44pm | IP Logged Quote hoghunter

It ain't bragging if you did it.

Nice shooting - IMR 4350 and the 06 go together like peanut butter and jelly or pizza and beer - the latter my choice.

Back to Top View hoghunter's Profile Search for other posts by hoghunter

richhodg66

Posted: December 18 2018 at 5:36am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

I must admit to having an interest in those Remington pumps. I have heard enough over the years that they are much more accurate and more durable than the auto loaders.

Seems like the speed and power of something like that in an '06 would be a good combo. Surprised Remington didn't push that one in .35 Whelen harder, that is a combo that really make sense to me, and if I were wanting a rifle to carry in grizzly country would be a better option than the lever gun .45-70s everybody seems to think is what you need for that.

KinleyWater

Posted: December 18 2018 at 7:10pm | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

Wait, so let me get this straight - The deal is I get to visit Nebraska and someone else picks up the drinks?

Downside?

Great shooting!

RB in GA

Posted: December 24 2018 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote RB in GA

Back in the 70's I lived in PA. It seemed that every other hunter was using a REM 760. I got one for Christmas in 3006 when I turned 16. I didn't know until years later after moving south that semi-autos were not allowed for deer back then. I guess the idea of a quick follow up shot with a pump vs a lever was the thought, and that you could have it chambered in 257 Bob to 35 Rem.

One side note... While accuracy was best with fire-forming and partial neck sizing for the range. It could be problematic in the field when you didn't work the pump with some vigor. For hunting, especially in cold 10 to 15 deg temps with stiff oiled actions I found it best to FL and even Small Base size my cases indifference to any accuracy loss.

57.3g under 150g, that's a stout load but still in the books (barely). I settled on 55g with 150's.

Edited by RB in GA on December 25 2018 at 9:28am
Back to Top View RB in GA's Profile Search for other posts by RB in GA

Ham Gunner

Posted: December 24 2018 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

Don't you love it when you wipe off all the dust and the old rifles are till right on target. I have a couple that seem to always stay sighted in. But others seem to need attention before I go out hunting, but I always check any of them out before I go anyway.

While I have never owned one of the 760's, I have worked a load up for one owned by my buddy. It certainly did like 150gr. bullets if I remember. Shot quite well. Right up there with all but the best bolt rifles.

My younger brother had a Browning Auto Rifle in 30-06 and I worked up loads for him that were decent, but they never quit reached the accuracy of my buddies 760. I also loaded for my FIL's 742 in 30-06, but it was sort of disappointing. Only shooting about a 2" group at the best, but he only used it for short range anyway.

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

RB in GA

Posted: December 25 2018 at 9:39am | IP Logged Quote RB in GA

Ham Gunner wrote:

I also loaded for my FIL's 742 in 30-06, but it was sort of disappointing. Only shooting about a 2" group at the best, but he only used it for short range anyway.

The old 742... just like in PA where every other rifle in the field seemed to be a 760, when I moved south to GA it was a 742. A hunting buddy even had a factory Carbine in 308. It had a "short" like 18" barrel and giant letters on the barrel stamped CARBINE. First and last one I have ever seen.
Back to Top View RB in GA's Profile Search for other posts by RB in GA

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version