Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: 6mm Creedmoor loading Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
M700

Online Status: Offline
Posted: December 18 2018 at 5:35pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Today I picked up loading dies, brass and bullets for the 6 Creedmoor. I am very enthusiastic about this!

The 6 Creedmoor is a cartridge designed for target competition, but produces velocity comparable to the 243 Win, 6mm Rem, and not too far off from the 25-06, so it has some potential as a hunting cartridge as well.

All I've fired through my Ruger Precision Rifle is the Hornady 108 grain ELD-M (match) ammo. I'm still getting used to the new rifle, but the 6 Creedmoor showed a promise of great accuracy. I tracked down three sources for good load data, plenty to start:

1. Hornady has a PDF file avail online with many loads documented for bullets from 58 - 108 grains.

2. Hodgdon's 2018 annual manual has a good article by Layne Simpson with a LOT of different loads featured.

3. Handloader magazine has a good article by John Barsness with some very nice 6 Creedmoor data.

Today I picked up:
1 set of Hornady dies - I've had good results with them in the past

50 Hornady brass cases

100 Hornady 108 grain ELD-M match bullets

I already have a good amount of H4350 powder on hand, as well as large rifle match primers from both Federal and CCI.

6mm Remington bottom, 6 Creedmoor center, 25-06 top:

I've prepped ten cases, and have made one dummy cartridge at the same overall length as the Hornady factory match ammo. The rifle has a short-action sized magazine.

I should have some results to post over the next few days and weeks.

Guy

Edited by M700 on December 18 2018 at 5:36pm
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

hoghunter

Posted: December 18 2018 at 5:53pm | IP Logged Quote hoghunter

Don't know anything about the 6mm Creedmore but I've been shooting the 243 Win since the late 60's. It was my first center fire rifle, a Winchester Model 70. Speaking from a hunting perspective:

IMR 4350 is the powder I had the most success with for bullets 85 grains and heavier. For lighter bullets IMR 4064 worked best for me.

I've tried just about every 6MM bullet and the one I like the best is the 85 grain Sierra BTHP behind IMR 4350 and Federal 210 primers. I've taken groundhogs, predators and deer successfully with this bullet. However for deer you need to avoid a shoulder shot. If you place the shot behind the shoulder in the vitals they will go down quickly. This bullet shoots like a match bullet accuracy wise and has excellent terminal performance and can serve as a do all hunting bullet for the 6MM class of cartridges.
Back to Top View hoghunter's Profile Search for other posts by hoghunter

richhodg66

Posted: December 18 2018 at 6:02pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

Never owned a .243, but shot the 6mm Remington a lot when I was younger. Winchester 760/H 414 is the powder for 100 grain bullets, nothing else ever came close.

I'll be interested in seeing how this pans out, though I doubt I'd ever try one out.

M700

Posted: December 18 2018 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Hoghunter & Rich - Thank you!

I've actually used the 85 gr Sierra HPBT in my 6mm Remington, which I got in the mid 1970's. As you state, it's a very accurate, very effective bullet! As I recall, I was using IMR 4350 with it as well.

This 6mm Creedmoor was truly designed as a match cartridge, and that's how I intend to use it. At the range, either in competition or just shooting for fun. But... Being a pretty die-hard hunter, yes, I'd like to try it on rockchucks, coyotes, deer and maybe pronghorn antelope.

I am pretty doggone excited about this one. Been a while since I tackled a new handloading challenge. Very interested in trying to meet/beat the accuracy of Hornady match ammo. Not sure that will be easy.

Regards, Guy

joed

Posted: December 19 2018 at 3:09pm | IP Logged Quote joed

Guy, for what you want to do you probably want a 108 gr or 115 gr if the twist
will support it.   

M700

Posted: December 19 2018 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote M700

joed wrote:
Guy, for what you want to do you probably want a 108 gr or 115 gr if the twist
will support it.   

Yup, it's a 1:7.7 twist, and I'm loading 108 gr Hornady ELD Match bullets.

Figured I'd start out with something that roughly duplicates the performance of the factory ammo. Same bullet, same case, same overall length, hoping for similar or same velocity. Not sure if I'll shade the accuracy of the factory ammo by much. Seems pretty good.

I've heard from some PRS match shooters who've done well using the Hornady factory ammo.

Guy

joed

Posted: December 19 2018 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote joed

The Hornady and Berger bullets are what hear shooters are using.   Nosler too
also makes heavy bullets I believe.

M700

Posted: December 20 2018 at 8:45am | IP Logged Quote M700

Yup.

BTW, this thing is vying with my AR-15 as the ugliest gun I own...

hoghunter

Posted: December 20 2018 at 5:31pm | IP Logged Quote hoghunter

M700 wrote:
Yup.

BTW, this thing is vying with my AR-15 as the ugliest gun I own...

I'll bet my 243 Rem Model 700 housed in a old, gray, rubber, field worn Hogue stock is uglier - but this combo shoots lights. I suspect one of the reasons is the internal bedding block.

I'll also bet if you start shooting 10's you won't care what it looks like - it ain't a beauty contest.

M700

Posted: December 20 2018 at 10:22pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Long history of shooting 10's and X's. NRA Long Range High Master via a 308 Win.

Am very interested in seeing what this black, ugly, Ruger will do! Supposedly Ruger is making very good barrels these days. I haven't put enough rounds downrange to make a judgement call yet, but initial results are promising. MIGHT get it back out to the range tomorrow.

I sure hope so. Meeting a couple of handgun students in the afternoon. Maybe I can make some time for the rifle as well.

If I do, I'll let ya know how my handloads did.

Guy

M700

Posted: December 21 2018 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Short trip to the range this afternoon to test the handloads:

Hornady brass, new
Hornady 108 gr ELD-Match bullets
H4350, 40.5 grains
Federal 210 match primers

Didn't chronograph the loads, but the point of impact was roughly the same as the 108 gr Hornady factory ammo at 450 yards. All I did today was shoot at a steel gong, 450 yards away, from the bench/bipod. Worked great! I did miss the gong three times. Entirely my fault.

When I stuck rigorously to the fundamentals of marksmanship, the bullets were impacting in a rather nice, tight, cluster on the steel.

I think that for now, I'll stick with this load, maybe tune it a bit. Can't play much with the overall length, 'cause they've got to fit into, and feed from, the detachable magazine.

Very satisfying! Am up to 27 rounds through the rifle at this point. Getting to know the scope/rifle/ammo combo pretty well so far.

I need to think about a coyote/antelope/deer load for this thing... Not sure how the "match" bullet performs on game, so I think I'll investigate the 103 grain Hornady ELD-X hunting bullet as well. But reality is that this rifle is mainly a marksmanship training/range toy.

Funny, I already have a used "APA Little Bastard" muzzle brake for it. It's supposed to be considerably better than the muzzle brake Ruger equips the rifle with. I'll make the swap sometime soon. Not strangely at all, there really isn't much recoil to deal with, the 6 Creedmoor in such a heavy rifle.

Regards, Guy

hoghunter

Posted: December 21 2018 at 5:00pm | IP Logged Quote hoghunter

Never owned a Ruger rifle but the rifles that have gotten my attention at the range are the Savages. I don't own any of these either but that may soon change.

A fellow shooter was shooting a 308 Savage Axis today at the range and punching out 3/4" groups with 168 grain Sierra's and IMR 4064. He did replace the factory trigger with a Timmey but for heavens sake, he paid under $300 for this rifle. It kind of blew my mind.

M700

Posted: December 21 2018 at 9:18pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Ya, there are some amazingly accurate rifles on the market today...

Low-budget rifles that will equal or better the high end rifles of only 20 years ago...

They may not have the look & feel of those classics, but my goodness they shoot!

Guy

Yeti

Posted: December 24 2018 at 1:29pm | IP Logged Quote Yeti

Guy, This one got my attention. Yesterday they had one in Sportsmans on
clearance for $765 and an additional 10%off, net $688.

I didn't bite as we have a big trip planned so funds are tight.

Can't wait to hear how this one shakes out for you.

M700

Posted: December 27 2018 at 7:43am | IP Logged Quote M700

Anyone here using "Superformance" powder from Hodgdon?

Saw some impressive results for it with the 6 Creedmoor in one of the articles I read. I've never used it before.

I like the idea of a spherical powder, 'cause they meter so nicely through a powder measure. Easy to throw very consistent charges.

Thanks, Guy

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version