Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Rimfires
 Handloads.Com Forum : Rimfires
Subject Topic: Summer Project Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Buffalogun

Online Status: Offline
Posted: January 05 2019 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote Buffalogun

About 50yrs ago as a teen I purchased my first handgun. It is chambered in .22 and is an H&R 929 9-shot revolver. I paid around $47 for it and it is still running despite having accounted for numerous snakes, rats and small game as well as tin cans and paper targets.

I decided to update my current .22 status. Browning offered a rebate on their Buck Mark pistols and Federal offered rebates on their varied Black Pack ammo boxes.

The rebates were attractive and I wound up with the pistol and ammo in the following pics.

The Buck Mark is made in the USA and has a good reputation for dependability and accuracy. The Federal bulk ammo was more of a gamble, particularly since it might not shoot very well in the Buck Mark semi-auto. The pistols grip feels very comfortable in my hand.

Well, my worries were unfounded as the Buck Mark has chewed through several magazines of the Federal stuff with no problems.

I mounted a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot sight which aids the sight picture for my 65yr. old eyes. Accuracy is quite good with the Federal ammo as well as some other .22lr fuel that I have on hand and I could roll a golf ball across the yard.

and

During the anticipated warmer months to follow I want to try several additional varieties of ammo and settle on an accurate load for my needs.

If you don't have a red dot I would suggest that you take a good look at them.

Now where is that monthly handgun target?

Mike    

Ham Gunner

Posted: January 05 2019 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

Looks like a great little hole puncher you got there.

I did not shoot much .22 rimfire ammo during the ammo dry spell and was saving up my stash. I have far too many different brands and lots of ammo so it is difficult to know how a particular rifle or handgun will react to each.

I have found some of the cheaper brands to shoot well and some of the expensive stuff to not always work out so well. But no matter what ammo one has, I think it better to get a very large amount of a single lot for consistency and to prevent having to re-sight the gun every time I go out hunting.

I have ended up sighting all my rifles in for the same lot of my most numerous supply type and I insert a small piece of paper under the closed bolt with the type of ammo that the rifle is sighted in for. Happened to have more bricks of Remington Game load ammo which is not really a high dollar round, but they shoot well in my rifles.

Over the years I have found several favorite brands and types only to find them not available the next time I went to replenish my supply. When I buy more now, I buy a large volume for consistency.

Edited by Ham Gunner on January 05 2019 at 11:51am

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

RT58

Posted: January 05 2019 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote RT58

I've looked at the Buckmark since it was brought out and almost bought one several times. They seemed to be well made and felt really good in my hand.

I've always had a lot of different rimfire ammo on hand in a wide variety of types, such as high velocity, hyper velocity and match/target. I also shot a lot of shorts and longs and CB/Colibri versions and etc. I've had autos that worked with very limited types of ammo so I never bought a Buckmark.
Back to Top View RT58's Profile Search for other posts by RT58

Tom W.

Posted: January 05 2019 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote Tom W.

My oldest so has one he bought years ago. At the time I
had a S&W .22 pistol that looked almost like his BuckMark,
but didn't shoot half as well. I traded it off for a Ruger
22/45.

Rex

Posted: January 05 2019 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote Rex

Nice pistol, Mike. The Buck Mark and the old High Standard were about the only .22 handguns that ever felt right to my hands. I've never used a dot sight but would like to try one sometime.
Back to Top View Rex's Profile Search for other posts by Rex

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version