Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: Range Disappointment Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
M700

Online Status: Online
Posted: January 05 2019 at 6:58pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Wow - what a disappointment.

Went to the range today with my 6mm Creedmoor, Ruger Precision Rifle. The club was holding a 2-hour "practice" session from 10 to noon. I helped set up the fancy acoustic targets. Yes... Learned all about them. Helped put up the wind flag.

Watched the first relay shoot. Saw how the shots post on a tablet, electronically, instead of being marked by hand.... I'd never seen that. Pretty slick.

I went up to the line, set up my gear and my rifle. Got down in prone... And tweaked my damaged neck so badly I had to pack up and leave the range. The pain was intense. Never even shot a single round.

Sigh. I'd been prepping for this range trip for a couple of weeks. I haven't competed in several years and was looking forward to getting back in to prone competition at 600 - 1,000 yards.

So... Couple of options:

1. I'm going to work on my prone position and see if I can come up with some variation that doesn't "scrunch up" my neck so badly. I'd love to compete prone again.

2. There is a heavy concrete bench on the 600 yard line that I am free to use if I so desire. My scores won't count and won't be official, but at least I'd be back shooting with the guys.

I've no problem shooting from sitting or standing, but these matches are prone.

Grumbling a bit about this. I was at one point, very competitive in prone/long-range matches. Apparently that's not the case anymore.

Guy

Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

USA Joe

Online Status: Offline
Posted: January 05 2019 at 7:54pm | IP Logged Quote USA Joe

Hi all again I also can no longer get prone even with 22
rimfire let alone center fire ! Its H*ll as my
ole Arthritis will not allow it   Stay safe Joe

M700

Posted: January 05 2019 at 8:01pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Ya, a couple years ago things got so bad that I needed to have three vertebrae fused. The ol' neck doesn't move very well anymore.

I still have a 600 pound leg-press, and can ride my bike 60 - 70 miles or more, no problem.

But, the neck is a weak point. I may not be able to compete anymore.

Guy

rich2

Posted: January 06 2019 at 7:25am | IP Logged Quote rich2

I can relate M700. Back a few (many) years ago, I was a pretty good competitor in IPSC and then in IDPA. I put down the guns to raise a family in 1994 and only in the last couple'a years did I get the bug to shoot competitively again. Wow! How time sneaks up on you. I'm slow and stiff and the eyes aren't what they use to be. Even loading my magazines is a small chore now unless I enlist the use of my MagLula. I now go to the range at least once a week to practice my sight alinement/trigger control, which is improving. I realize I'll never be the competitor I once was. So now I attend the monthly IDPA and match with the mind-set that it's for fun and to keep as sharp as I can. I'm set to retire in about a year and a half and plan on shooting competition with the more mature crowd. Perhaps if you find that you can't get into prone anymore, you can find a sport that doesn't have a prone position? Never give up, just change tactics.

M700

Posted: January 06 2019 at 9:42am | IP Logged Quote M700

Yup! Good on ya! I really want to get back into longer-range shooting, 600 - 1,000+ yards, and was going to just hop back into NRA prone competition to do so. Hmm. That didn't work out so well yesterday! So...

1. Going to continue to work towards a prone position I can use successfully. I think I can do it. Will make some adjustments and see how it goes.

2. The local club will allow me to shoot from the sturdy concrete bench on the 600 yard line. My scores just won't count officially, 'cause I'm not prone. Okay, I can live with that. I will still be shooting with the guys. And not in pain.

3. I like your idea of finding something else that I can do! We're looking to bring some sort of handgun "steel challenge" shooting to our club on a regular basis. I can stand and shoot and move pretty doggone well. Long as I don't have to drop to prone, should be good to go. I love pistol shooting too.

So ya, all is not lost. I sure was depressed and in pain when I left the range yesterday. Dang. Thought sure I was going to be back into long-range shooting. The guys welcomed me back after a long absence, and all was well, until I tried to shoot from prone. Sigh...

New day today, and it looks brighter.

Guy

beerd

Posted: January 06 2019 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote beerd

Maybe trade the new Ruger for a Sharps and get into the Black Powder Cartridge Rifle game
Back to Top View beerd's Profile Search for other posts by beerd

hoghunter

Posted: January 06 2019 at 6:41pm | IP Logged Quote hoghunter

I shot competitive pistol for 30 years but had to give it up because of an elbow problem that prevents me from shooting sustained strings with one hand (unsupported). I can still shoot pistol but I have to use two hands.

I also shot from the prone with a bipod for many years hunting eastern groundhogs. Because of a spinal condition I can no longer shoot in the prone so I improvised and now shoot off a shooting cross stick while sitting on a small sportsman's field chair. It works fairly well.

As we age it's all about adapting to our physical limitations. Unfortunately competitive shooting limits your options but you can still compete against yourself honing your field shooting skills.

I'm just thankful that I can still shoot and hunt. Several of my buddies have past on. One has an eye condition that caused him to give up shooting.

Getting old is a bitch - but it's better than the alternative, least I think so.
Back to Top View hoghunter's Profile Search for other posts by hoghunter

turbo1889

Posted: January 06 2019 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote turbo1889

How is the recoil levels on your 6mm RPR?

Can you shoot it feet forward on your back
prone style with the butt tucked into your
armpit?

It's a very old shooting style for prone
that originally was mainly applicable to
muzzleloaders due to making it much easier
to more quickly reload while staying prone
but it does bend your chin down to see
your sights to shoot rather then bending
your neck up as in a normal prone position
and it does take some practice to learn
that shooting position.

Also, support arm around the back of your
head cupping the butt in your palm has the
advantage of supporting the back of your
head and reducing muscle strain in your
neck but most modern rifles are not long
enough to safely support the foregrip
between your knees as needed for this
alternative of this style of feet forward
prone shooting. Also, with modern shorter
rifles regardless watch your feet when
shooting this position. Even in the old,
old days nucklehead grunts sometimes
shot themselves in the foot. Don't do
that.

Will your competition/club accept it as
"prone"? I don't know, they probably
never even seen that old shooting
position.

Just an option you might consider.

Edited by turbo1889 on January 06 2019 at 7:07pm

To the most serious charge of "ARMING WOMEN" I plead guilty on multiple counts.
Back to Top View turbo1889's Profile Search for other posts by turbo1889

M700

Posted: January 06 2019 at 9:06pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Funny you mention that Turbo - I know that position - and I might be able to use it with this rifle, it's pretty long overall. Not sure, haven't tried yet.

Recoil is next to nothing. Fairly heavy rifle and power level similar to a 243 Win.

Has a muzzle brake, but that's coming off as they're not allowed in F-Class or NRA competition, and I don't like being "that guy" with the obnoxious muzzle brake anyway.

They will let me use the bench, my scores just won't count. I'm kinda okay with that.

Did some dry fire earlier today, modifying my prone position a bit. Didn't seem too bad. Maybe there's hope!

Guy

KinleyWater

Posted: January 07 2019 at 4:01pm | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

Hmm - not qualified to really give an opinion, but have you looked at deep tissue massage,or acupuncture? I suppose it would depend on the nature of the damage.

M700

Posted: January 08 2019 at 7:34am | IP Logged Quote M700

KinleyWater wrote:
Hmm - not qualified to really give an opinion, but have you looked at deep tissue massage,or acupuncture? I suppose it would depend on the nature of the damage.

Ya, I have had a massage a few times and it helps, but the lack of flexibility due to the three fused vertebrae isn't going to be overcome by anything. They're kinda welded together now. Sure got rid of the pain of daily living! I'm grateful for that.

So - prone may just be something I don't do well, or often anymore. I'll keep messing around with some variations on prone, some seem easier.

In the field, I've shot more game from sitting than from prone, and the guys are fine with me shooting against them, from sitting. My scores just won't count with the NRA. I'm okay with that.

Thanks all!

Abram

Posted: January 08 2019 at 10:34am | IP Logged Quote Abram

Sorry to hear of the problems you are having, hopefully you can get back into the game. I once heard a older fellow say that "growing old is not for wimps", I am still wondering what age old is
Back to Top View Abram's Profile Search for other posts by Abram

KinleyWater

Posted: January 08 2019 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

I think the important thing is the challenge and the camaraderie. Winning stuff is great too, but not everything.

Are there no competitions which can be shot from the seated? Or, rather I should say, without a prone course of fire?

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version