Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: exposed or capped turrets Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Abram

Online Status: Offline
Posted: January 06 2019 at 6:17pm | IP Logged Quote Abram

Which do you prefer for hunting?

I have recently acquired a Nikon P-308 Rifle Scope and now I have a decision to make, put the scope on my Ruger VLE or My Ruger American Predator. Right now the VLE sports a Konus Pro 6-24 SFP Mil Dot scope, not exactly high end but it might work to get me into long range shooting. When I rifle hunt I take the RAP as the VLE with it's medium weight barrel is relatively heavy. What do you think?

Edited by Abram on January 07 2019 at 6:35am
Back to Top View Abram's Profile Search for other posts by Abram

turbo1889

Posted: January 06 2019 at 6:30pm | IP Logged Quote turbo1889

CAPPED !!!

Uncapped turrent have way too high of a
risk of getting bumped out of alignment
and me needing to make a quick shot on
game. I set the scope and want it to stay
set.

Granted I do a lot of hunting via.
Mountain Bike with the rifle slung over my
back while I am pedaling. I have to use
red locktite on my scope mounting rings
and use good quality rings.

It would be batt crazy for me to have
exposed turrent on the scopes on any of my
hunting guns.

Your Mileage May Vary.

To the most serious charge of "ARMING WOMEN" I plead guilty on multiple counts.
Back to Top View turbo1889's Profile Search for other posts by turbo1889

hoghunter

Posted: January 06 2019 at 6:56pm | IP Logged Quote hoghunter

My thoughts on scope turrets:

How far can you shoot and reliably hit the vitals of the critters you are hunting? Do you really need turrets, i.e. to dial up for distance to hit the vitals?

Are you familiar the concept of Maximum Point Blank Range (MPBR) for sighting in a hunting rifle? This sight in procedure permits center hold on the critter to hit the vitals over the MPBR.

I hunt year around, groundhogs, predators and deer. I do not use turrets for hunting. Many times there isn't enough time to full with them. Also, you have to remember to return the turret to zero. Also you need a high quality (expensive) scope for repeatable adjustments.

Back to Top View hoghunter's Profile Search for other posts by hoghunter

M700

Posted: January 07 2019 at 10:42am | IP Logged Quote M700

My primary hunting rifles have capped turrets. I just don't mess with windage or elevation after setting them.

It's easy to deal with if you use the good ol' MPBR routine that hoghunter mentioned.

If I don't do that, I usually just sight in the rifle at 200 yards and have had no problem making kill shots at well over 300 yards, never touching the dials. Practice.

With a real flat shooting rifle, like my 25-06, I've done 400+ yard first shot kills, never messing with the elevation or windage adjustments. It was zeroed for 300 yards and no problem at all making kills from up close to way out there.

Rifles that I primarily use on the range for target shooting, may well have exposed turrets. No problem there. Sometimes I hunt with those rifles, and have to be careful, though I've never had a problem with the turrets moving.

Good question!

Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

turbo1889

Posted: January 07 2019 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote turbo1889

A lot of my hunting is with a rifled
barrel 12ga. slug gun firing handliaded
handcast full bore solids that have a very
rainbow trajectory. That and I have been
known to hunt with cast bullet loads in
rifles out to 300-yards which have the
same issues just at longer ranges.

Sometimes my hold overs and wind
corrections are measured in feet not
inches on some of the longer shots I have
taken. Most everything is beyond MPBR
unless I get an easy close shot where I
come around a corner or something and both
me and the animal are looking at each
other at close range, and then if I'm
still astride my mountain bike it's a
chore and a major chance of spooking the
animal trying to get the long gun off my
back, so reaching for the handgun instead
is an option that is often preferable.

I still don't use clicks on my turrents to
make those ajustments.

But I do have a strong preference for some
pretty complex reticals with hold older
and windage marks, the more the merrier.

More then one other person who has shot
some of my rifles with some of the scopes
I paid more for and carefully selected for
my preferred reticals has done a "What the
@#&+*$!!! What @#$+)&*:$ line do I use in
this thing !!!"

To the most serious charge of "ARMING WOMEN" I plead guilty on multiple counts.
Back to Top View turbo1889's Profile Search for other posts by turbo1889

Ham Gunner

Posted: January 07 2019 at 4:17pm | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

For a hunting rifle scope, my thoughts are why leave them exposed if you are not needing to move them. One is only asking for trouble by having exposed turrets. I can understand using an exposed turret scope for really extreme long range shots where range is not predetermined and adjustments would be mandatory, but those uses do not normally require any fast shots or perhaps not even traveling through rough terrain.

For some really long rang varmint shooting perhaps with a few of the longer ranging hunting rifles, exposed turrets would be acceptable. Target shooting is certainly not going to be a problem for exposed turret knob scopes.

I have had several of the older Weaver scopes that did not have caps for the adjustment knobs. They did not intend for them to have covers and that was the way they came from the factory. I had an older Weaver K-6 with super fine cross hairs. It had brass end caps for locking in the lens. The steel adjustment knobs were exposed and they could be loosened and reset on zero. My old K-2 1/2 Weaver was very similar except that it's small adjustments are not even marked. There is no problem packing them in the woods or in my 4 wheeler scabbard. They are difficult to turn and they are small and do not stick out far enough to be engaged with anything short of a small coin, etc.

For almost all my hunting I do not adjust a scope in the field. I have charts rubber glued to each rifle's butt stock for bullet drop of the bullet being used. So if the range is long, I determine the range and just hold over according to the chart.

Some Bullet Drop Compensator scopes are perhaps useful for many larger game situations, but I have never desired to use one.

Edited by Ham Gunner on January 07 2019 at 4:24pm

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

Abram

Posted: January 08 2019 at 6:58am | IP Logged Quote Abram

I though the consensus would be capped for all of the reasons above but I wanted to ask out of curiosity.

Thanks for the advice

M700

Posted: January 09 2019 at 3:38am | IP Logged Quote M700

Abram:

Primarily for target shooting, this 6mm Creedmoor is a recent addition to my little herd of rifles. I could likely use it for hunting, but it is awfully heavy and cumbersome for that. It's topped with a 6-24x Vortex scope that has big turrets and also a very nice "MOA" type reticle with all sorts of hashmarks for holdovers and holdoffs. It's a great range toy.

For hunting, from up close to out well past 300 yards, with NO ADJUSTMENT needed, I rely on a simple 30-06, usually with 165's, and that 6x Leupold. It's zeroed at 200 yards. A 300 yard hit is a piece of cake. This ordinary looking rifle is very "normal" and is likely my best all-around hunting rifle/scope combo:

Different critters for different chores.

Just my take on things.

Guy

Abram

Posted: January 09 2019 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote Abram

That is a nice setup Guy. My Ruger VLE is not exactly a hunting rifle, it is pretty heavy

M700

Posted: January 09 2019 at 12:17pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Abram wrote:
That is a nice setup Guy. My Ruger VLE is not exactly a hunting rifle, it is pretty heavy

Am reasonably familiar with the Ruger lineup, and am familiar with your VLE. One of my rifles is similar in concept.

I have a Rem 700 that started life as a 700 VS, "varmint synthetic" and it's been an excellent rifle for me, for 23 or 24 years and a couple of barrels now. Mine is a 308 Win. It was my SWAT rifle for 12 years.

These days I'm using it mostly for predator, coyote hunting. It's been kind of under-employed for the past three or four years. I just put a new scope on it, that is working out really well:

A 6x SWFA "super sniper" which is a silly name for a very good scope at a bargain price. The SWFA scopes are a little heavy, but have good glass and very repeatable windage & elevation adjustments. I happen to prefer a fixed power scope for several reasons. Simplicity. Usually quite rugged. Fewer parts.

For the shooter, there's no worry about first or second focal plane. There's only one plane!

Mine has the mil reticle, but they're also offered with an MOA reticle. It does have large, exposed turrets, but I've always had scopes with large "target" type turrets on this rifle and I'm very comfortable with it.

SWFA 6x scope

It's not a $1500 Nightforce or whatever, but it's one heck of a scope, particularly for the money.

Regards, Guy

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version