Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: 600 yard 6 Creedmoor Results Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
M700

Online Status: Offline
Posted: January 10 2019 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Finally got some rounds downrange at 600 yards with the 6 Creedmoor Ruger Precision Rifle! I am very pleased. Shot from the bench, with the rifle on a Harris bipod, no rear bag. Ammo was my handloaded 108 gr Hornady ELD Match bullets with H4350. I had removed the muzzle brake and did notice a little more muzzle jump, despite the weight of the rifle.

Used the Jeep to set out my 600 yard paper & steel targets. Fresh snow from yesterday!

Set up the rifle, on the bipod, with no rear bag. Had to clear snow off the bench!

The Vortex. I'm finally happy with it. Great scope for this rifle!

600 yard target, some of my last few shots after I'd found my 600 yard dope today. I'm pretty sure I pulled that one high and left. Feeling good about that:

Spent most of my time banging this steel gong at 600 yards. Sure was fun! I hadn't shot 600 yards in quite a while.

All in all, I'm happy with the rifle, the scope, the load, and even myself. Didn't even try prone today, was having too much fun from the bench.

Felt good to get some rounds downrange from 600 again.

Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

Abram

Posted: January 10 2019 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote Abram

WOW that is awesome. I would be happy just shooting good a 200 or 300 yards. Glad you got some range time with the new toy
Back to Top View Abram's Profile Search for other posts by Abram

M700

Posted: January 10 2019 at 10:50pm | IP Logged Quote M700

That was a real nice time on the range for me today Abram & all.

Group was about 5" on the steel target. Not counting the hit on the far right edge of the target. Adjusted one MOA left and fired the rest, the impact areas shown.

At the peak of my rifle abilities, I shot a 2.5" group on the same range, with my 308 rifle. That was about 10 years ago. I can't manage that anymore, but I can hit the target.

That feels real good to me. I hadn't even tried 600 in several years. This new 6mm Ruger Precision Rifle is pretty sweet. Glad I picked it up. Makes accurate shooting pretty easy.

I'm hoping that if I can regain some of my former skills, and maybe improve my handloads a bit, that I can shoot some good groups out at 1,000 yards.

Only have 37 rounds through this rifle so far.

On the other hand, I've burned through several 308 barrels at 4,000 - 6,000 rounds per barrel in the past.

I'm not that shooter anymore, and that's fine. But I'm enjoying the new, light-recoiling 6mm rifle.

Guy

STCM(SW)

Posted: January 10 2019 at 11:27pm | IP Logged Quote STCM(SW)

Yea, as you get older the smaller calibers seem to shoot much better!
LOL!

Back to Top View STCM(SW)'s Profile Search for other posts by STCM(SW)

M700

Posted: January 11 2019 at 12:35am | IP Logged Quote M700

Abram wrote:
WOW that is awesome. I would be happy just shooting good a 200 or 300 yards. Glad you got some range time with the new toy

We've got a couple of different gun clubs in the immediate area. One has a rifle range that only stretches to 300 yards. The other has a range that goes to 600 officially, with the possibility of targets 700 - 1100 yards time to time.

I like that.

Ham Gunner

Posted: January 11 2019 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

That is some nice shooting Guy. Quite a rifle you have there.

I love the long range shooting. No actual public long range shooting ranges around my area though.

I do have some places down on the Mark Twain Nation Forest where I can safely shoot at rocks or targets that I set up on one ridge and shoot from the opposite ridge. Those areas are "Glades" consisting of mostly wild grasses such as blue stem or other wild prairie grass and some just bare ground and rocks. Plenty of rocks to use as targets. I even shoot my old Flat Top Ruger .44 mag. long range down there. Have to hold over a good bit, but it is amazing what one can do with a little practice.

There is also occasional red cedar that have encroached upon the glades, but the Forest Service tries to burn the glades ever so many years to kill the cedar. It does not damage the wild grasses so it keeps the Glades more along it's natural state. Makes great open range shooting where otherwise there would be none in the mostly hilly and heavily wooded S. Missouri Ozarks.

Edited by Ham Gunner on January 11 2019 at 11:01am

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

The_Shadow

Posted: January 11 2019 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote The_Shadow

Were nicely do Guy!

LoUiSiAna
NRA Life Menber
BASS Life Menber
Back to Top View The_Shadow's Profile Search for other posts by The_Shadow

Abram

Posted: January 13 2019 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote Abram

M700 wrote:
[QUOTE=Abram] WOW that is awesome. I would be happy just shooting good a 200 or 300 yards. Glad you got some range time with the new toy

We've got a couple of different gun clubs in the immediate area. One has a rifle range that only stretches to 300 yards. The other has a range that goes to 600 officially, with the possibility of targets 700 - 1100 yards time to time.

I like that. [/QUOTE

The longest range I have access to is the 600 yard at the CMP in talladega alabama which is fine for me as I am a beginner. BTW Guy what model is that Vortex scope and can you give us your opinion on the quality of the optics

M700

Posted: January 14 2019 at 7:25am | IP Logged Quote M700

That's the PST, 6-24 with the 50mm objective lens. Mine has the MOA reticle.

I am very impressed with the scope in general, and with the glass clarity in particular. For this sort of scope, it seems to be a decent deal.

I'd love to shoot at that CMP Talladega facility! Was amazed at the online site/tour. Wow...

Guy

Abram

Posted: January 14 2019 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote Abram

I have heard a lot of good things about the Vortex Scopes but really did not and still do not know which one to buy, provided I can find the funds. I am a bout a 90 minutes from the CMP so I am going to try and make a trip once a month to practice long range shooting.

Thank you

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version