Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: 26 degrees at the rifle range today Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
M700

Online Status: Online
Posted: January 15 2019 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Sorry guys, didn't snap a single photo. Fingers were cold! Snowy, overcast and 26 degrees at the range this morning.

Put the little Tasco back on my 22 Marlin 39A and got that rascal dialed in at 25 yards, then had a blast slinging Remington 22's downrange for a while. Good fun. Everybody ought to go shoot a 22 now and then. It's just a lot of grins.

Popped the 4.5-14x Leupold atop the CZ 527, 204 Ruger not long ago. Wanted to check zero at 100 yards with the 40 gr Hornady V-Max over BLC(2). Yup. Dead on. Danged thing shoots so flat, I hold center mass at 100, 200 and 300 yards. Coyotes beware!

And... as the cougar hunt heats up a bit... I thought I'd better check the 30-06, which I don't think I'd fired since taking the antelope in October. PERFECT! The 165 Nosler Ballistic Tip was still just a little high at 100, dead on at 200 and only a tad low at 300. The rifle seems to shoot awfully flat, and stays under MOA, no problem. I still love that 6x Leupold I popped on there last year. Very nice, clear scope.

So - all is well - I didn't freeze - and it was a productive morning at the range. Very satisfying. Glad I've hauled my 204 out of the safe and put a different scope on it. That seems to be an excellent matchup.

Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

KinleyWater

Online Status: Offline
Posted: January 15 2019 at 7:22pm | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

Sounds like a good day at the range. Good for you!

I spent the day driving all over and filling out paperwork.

I know what I would have rather been doing.

doghawg

Posted: January 15 2019 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote doghawg

Guy

You had a lot more ambition than me. I was thinking about doing some load work-ups for my Rem 700 in 22 BR. Could sit in heated line shack with my loading box equipped with Wilson dies, Harrill measure, K&M priming tool and an assortment of bullets, primers and powders. Load up a few, step out the door to the bench and try for a group but....it was raw and windy and Wisconsin was cursed with January rain and everything is ice covered..

Is the .30/06 what you're going to hunt cougar with?

Randy

turbo1889

Posted: January 16 2019 at 12:57am | IP Logged Quote turbo1889

26-degrees F = Cold ?!?!?!

To the most serious charge of "ARMING WOMEN" I plead guilty on multiple counts.
Back to Top View turbo1889's Profile Search for other posts by turbo1889

turbo1889

Posted: January 16 2019 at 1:02am | IP Logged Quote turbo1889

Course Washington state is a lot further
West and closer to the ocean so it must be
a damp cold compared to what I'm used to
up here in the Rockies further down wind
and most likely drier air by the time it
gets to me. Colder as well though, but
that is mainly altitude probably.

To the most serious charge of "ARMING WOMEN" I plead guilty on multiple counts.
Back to Top View turbo1889's Profile Search for other posts by turbo1889

richhodg66

Posted: January 16 2019 at 5:06am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

Supposed to hit single digits here this weekend. Almost glad it is, we have snow on the ground, but been hovering slightly above freezing which is making the yard and road I drive in to the house on a muddy mess.

I really don't like this time of year. Dealing with cold is getting hard again, I'd kind of learned to deal with it at one point. Worst thing is lack of daylight hours, I work pretty long days and have a lot of commitments most weekends it seems. During the long days of Summer, can usually get some shooting in nearly every day, now, not so much.

I need to get some .22 rimfires out and do some plinking with them.

JD45

Posted: January 16 2019 at 7:49am | IP Logged Quote JD45

It's gonna be below 20 here Friday night. Actually it's been a warm winter but more rain than I've ever seen!

Edited by JD45 on January 16 2019 at 7:50am
Back to Top View JD45's Profile Search for other posts by JD45

hoghunter

Posted: January 16 2019 at 5:29pm | IP Logged Quote hoghunter

I shoot a year around too but below 30 degrees is my "wimp out" temp. especially if there is any wind. Also hunt predators in some nasty cold weather.

I was out today at the range, 35 degree here in eastern PA. Good news - no one else was on the range. I use those disposal hand warmers - they work good and a those Armor All form fitting gloves.

I was checking my old Rem 700 243 that has over 3,000 rounds through it. The barrel is suppose to be shot out according to the experts at about 1,500 rounds. I was seriously considering having it rebarreled since the groups have opened up to about 1 1/2". On advice of a fellow shooter I gave the barrel a heavy treatment (25 patches) of Bore Tech Cu+2 copper remover. Wow - heavy copper detected - and removed. Thought Shooter's Choice was doing the job - I was wrong.

Anyway, shot the rifle today - .741" 6 shot group. I then proceeded to do a little fun practice shooting off my shooting sticks. I taped a 3 x 5 card (horizontally)to a piece of brown 8 x 11 cardboard. Experience has taught me that a 3 x 5 card is a good indicator of the vitals on a broad side predator so if I can hit it all is good. Shot 5 at 100 and 5 at 200 yards - all good hits.

Unfortunately my club's max range is 200 yards. I think I can get another year out of this old 700 before I have to rebarrel.
Back to Top View hoghunter's Profile Search for other posts by hoghunter

M700

Online Status: Online
Posted: January 19 2019 at 2:42pm | IP Logged Quote M700

turbo1889 wrote:
26-degrees F = Cold ?!?!?!

Ya, we rarely get the cold you folks further inland do. We've been down to zero, or a tad below, but normally our cold temps in any given winter seem to get no lower than the mid-teens. The coldest I recall shooting in, was zero degrees, some years back when our SWAT team wanted to check and see if our firearms had any problem in that level of cold. They worked fine.

This winter has been downright balmy. I don't know that we've even gotten lower than the 20's, and sadly we sure haven't had much snow.

Last night though, Mama and I drove home from a Seattle business trip. Normally it's about a 3 hour drive. Last night it was snowing hard on both passes on our route and it took us about 5 hours to get home. That did include a stop to fuel up, get some coffee and a bite to eat.

Frankly, I'm a little worried about this mild winter. Might be a prelude to ANOTHER nasty "fire season" this coming summer. I hope not.

Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

richhodg66

Posted: January 19 2019 at 6:00pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

Yeah, bad as I hate Winter, having several mild ones in a row sure makes for a bad bug year next. Wild fires too, I suppose.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version