Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: .338 Federal? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
BigBlue

Online Status: Offline
Posted: December 31 2005 at 5:26pm | IP Logged Quote BigBlue

Anyone see this announcement from Federal in the early part of Dec.? They necked up a .308 case to accept a .338 bullet and have put their name on it. It was supposedly a joint effort with Sako. Should be pretty decent out to 250 or even 300 yard range for deer, bear, or even elk, but it isn't a .338 Win Mag. At this range I don't think that's a bad thing. It would seem to me to be an attempt at taking some of the business from the new .325 WSM.
Don

JohnK
Admin Group

Posted: December 31 2005 at 5:53pm | IP Logged Quote JohnK

yep

http://forums.handloads.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8986

Time will tell how popular it becomes, the market seems to be swinging back to larger calibers and not just faster, so it may well take off - if the gun companies chamber guns for it.

BigBlue

Posted: December 31 2005 at 6:10pm | IP Logged Quote BigBlue

John,
Thanks, somehow I missed that.
The cartridge would seem to answer another post here, what would I like to see in a handi? It would seem like a natural combination.
Don

Littlejack

Posted: December 31 2005 at 7:19pm | IP Logged Quote Littlejack

Personally, If the manufacturers never made another new or different chambering in a firearm, there would be anything we ever wanted or needed for hunting already available.
The biggest problem being that most people don't practice enough with the cartridges we have available.
So, when the animal doesn't go down because of bad shot placement thes guys blame it on the cartridge. They go buy a firearm that is chambered for a cartridge that would make King Kong flinch. Thay take these muzzle braked things to the range and setup next to guys like me who have to wear two (2) pair of hearing protecters. When they pull the trigger, dead bugs fall from the rafters, mothers grab their babys and run and the range master turns into a fire marshall, putting out all the grass fires. Then the guy thinks he can hit something three times as far as his previous misplaced shot shooter. Don't mind me, just blowing off a little steam.
Oh, BTW the old 8mm Mauser cartridge will do any thing that the new Federal round will do, it's been here over a century and has proven itself.
Happy New Year
                        Littlejack

Rafsob

Posted: July 30 2010 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote Rafsob

Is anyone forgeting that this will be the largest diameter bullet in the short action realm??? This is why I am interested, as should quite a few folks!

wolfdog

Posted: July 30 2010 at 8:29am | IP Logged Quote wolfdog

I actually would have liked it if it was a bit slower, I really wish the 338 marlin express would have taken off. I also like the 8mm mauser, but they don't chamber a lot of guns in that either. That said, it's on my short list of guns to get. My rifle collection include a .243win and a 35rem. Both I have shot extensivly and shoot quite well, I think I have room for one more.

Buffalogun

Posted: July 31 2010 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote Buffalogun

Rafsob,

The .338 isn't the largest diameter bullet loaded in a short action cartridge. The 358 Winchester is a tad larger.

A while back I told myself I didn't need any more new cartridges, but.....
I have just purchased a 28" barrel for my Encore, chambered in .338 Federal. .338 bullets abound, as does .308 brass.

I haven't had time to shoot it yet, but am planning to very soon.

Mike

turbo1889

Posted: August 01 2010 at 6:14am | IP Logged Quote turbo1889

The 338-Fed was around for many, many years as a wild-cat round commonly know as the 338-08 before Federal adopted the tough tiger striped old ally cat and gave it a good solid home.

In my opinion as far as adopted wild felines go the 338-08 should have been adopted a long time ago; it is far more worthy of a good solid home then any of the stupid super short magnum cartridges Winchester goober-ed up the market with years ago and that broke their companies back as a rifle manufacturing company.

For ranges between 50 and 150 yards (probably the most common range bracket for a shot by the average hunter) the 338-08 (now the 338-Fed) is a superb choice for heavier North American game such as elk and bear and delivers solid knock down without beating you to death with heavy recoil.

I personally have built and chambered at least three rifles for this cartridge before it was adopted by Federal one of which I still own.

As far as those searching for load data for the cartridge on the net I recommend you also search by its former and more correct name "338-08".

To the most serious charge of "ARMING WOMEN" I plead guilty on multiple counts.
Back to Top View turbo1889's Profile Search for other posts by turbo1889

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version