Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
General Discussion
 Handloads.Com Forum : General Discussion
Subject Topic: Question for EVERYONE - New Member Intro Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Paul5388

Online Status: Offline
Posted: December 28 2003 at 11:19am | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

Reloader,

Welcome, it's good having another East Texan on the board!

Just guessing, I would say you are just a little over the average age on this forum.  It looks like the majority are in their 40's and 50's, which may not be a good trend in reloading.  Of course, you have those in their 30's who shoot reloads, like my son, who bring their empties (three boxes of once fired 7mm Mag plus 100 new brass?) for me to load!  There's something that's just not kosher about that!
Back to Top View Paul5388's Profile Search for other posts by Paul5388 Visit Paul5388's Homepage

Rod WMG

Posted: December 28 2003 at 2:03pm | IP Logged Quote Rod WMG

Virtually everyone in Texas is east of me.
Back to Top View Rod WMG's Profile Search for other posts by Rod WMG

J Miller

Posted: December 28 2003 at 3:27pm | IP Logged Quote J Miller

Paul,

Just sit him down in front of the press and say: It's time for you to load your own. You shoot 'em, you load 'em.

He won't learn if you keep doing it for him.   

Joe

Paul5388

Posted: December 28 2003 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

Joe,

He knows how, it's just easier to get me to do it!  I think he still has his press packed away from when he moved back from Oklahoma (moving back is one of the smart things he has done!)   Besides, he just comes over and gets one of my guns when he runs out of ammo.   So it's self preservation for me!
Back to Top View Paul5388's Profile Search for other posts by Paul5388 Visit Paul5388's Homepage

Handgunr

Posted: December 29 2003 at 4:47am | IP Logged Quote Handgunr

Howdy guys,

Sounds like a whole bunch of experience here.....!

Well to throw my hat in the ring;

I'm a 46 yr. old Deputy Sheriff retired. I was the dept.'s Firearms Instructor for about 17 out of the 18 1/2 yrs. I was there. While I was there, I immersed myself in everything shooting related, such as Sniper/Observer School, Armorers schools, etc. etc. I loved shooting so much most of my life that I actually tried to find a job that was shooting related and I got lucky.

I've been casting and reloading since about 11 or 12, so I guess you'd be looking at 34 or 35 yrs., give or take. I have an office/den dedicated to just casting & loading (with doors & all to keep the family out-hehe) I have a 100yd. range built 30 yds. behind my house, where I usually spend my time if I'm not loading or casting.

I live at home with my wife Jodie, her two, Richie & Kaila, and on alternate weekends, my other three, David, Jon & Kylie. My oldest Chris, 28, lives in Leesburg, VA., and works for NOAA.

Good luck & good shooting

Take care,

Bob

cb300mag

Posted: December 29 2003 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote cb300mag

Happy Holidays to All!!

I am a Medic in the U.S. Air Force, currently in my 15th year of service.  I am stationed in Washington DC for now, I live in Maryland so I could keep all my guns with me.  I am originally from the free state of Texas and cant wait to go home for good.  I really love this website and have only recently found the joy of reloading.  I have been hunting and shooting since I was 8. 

Back to Top View cb300mag's Profile Search for other posts by cb300mag

DC

Posted: December 30 2003 at 5:12am | IP Logged Quote DC

The only age I admit to is older than the Appalacians.

Loaded my first shell in 1956, a .30-30. I was still a pup then. Been at it ever since, except the years I spent in the Army. Loaded shotshells and custom / oddball rifle loads commercially in the early and mid 70’s.

As far as a living goes, I walked off a mid-level engineering management job at a division of General Dynamics about 15 years ago, moved way away from any city, bought some acreage and now shoot, catch, raise or trade for everything we eat, except sugar, salt, pepper and coffee. Gotta buy them. Main income is from raising and selling free-range turkeys, geese, guineas and chickens. Some extra money from coyote and fox pelts whose former owners considered my birds a free meal. When I need some more cash, I’ll rebuild a motor or transmission for somebody. No shortage of them here. I decided when I walked out that I’d never work for wages again.

DC

Back to Top View DC's Profile Search for other posts by DC

bentbarrel

Posted: December 30 2003 at 5:16am | IP Logged Quote bentbarrel

DC that sounds good, how much is groundsquirrel pelt goin for? hehe

Rod WMG

Posted: December 30 2003 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote Rod WMG

I've just been keeping very casual count, but us Texans (Resistol over red heart) seem to have all you "yankees" outnumbered.
Back to Top View Rod WMG's Profile Search for other posts by Rod WMG

J Miller

Posted: December 30 2003 at 1:34pm | IP Logged Quote J Miller

Edited by J Miller on December 30 2003 at 8:50pm

Thunder Hunter

Posted: December 30 2003 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote Thunder Hunter

Paul 5388 I'm noticing a real trend here as you earlier spoke of.  It really looks like the Handload  and Shooting Community  may die off as time goes on. Up here in Canada the same thing is quite apparent.  The young guys have got fed up with the new laws and just buy the loaded stuff and do very little practicing, which hurts their ability to shoot consistent.  Recently I talked with the Dealer that sold me the Lapua mag yrs. ago and he said the same thing. They sooner pay the $100.00 plus for 20 loaded than sit down and load themselves.  The young crowd has very little time for OUR OLDTIME RELOADING Stuff. He said they are too busy going no-where. I would not want to say exactly as him, but how do we get the young crowd involved even when you show them how it is done?.

Steelhead

Posted: December 30 2003 at 5:33pm | IP Logged Quote Steelhead

Jerry,

That is disturbing, you and Paul are correct. I hadn't given it much thought lately. At my last unit (military) I was stationed with 20 other guys, only 1 other reloaded, and only 3 of the 20 hunted. At my present unit there are 5 guys, and I am the only one that hunts. Only 1 other guy owns any guns, and I am the only one that reloads. Not sure how you get people into it.

2 guys love computer games, and I can damn sure tell you that they can't get me into that, so unfortunately it must go the other way also.

Back to Top View Steelhead's Profile Search for other posts by Steelhead

Paul5388

Posted: December 30 2003 at 5:47pm | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

Scott,

The Navy and CG aren't known for their fascination with guns as maybe the Marines and Army guys are, so that may explain some of what you are seeing. 

OTOH, you never run out of bullets on 'puter games, you have more than one life and nothing kicks the snot out of you when you shoot it!  The younger generations have had it too easy, maybe?

Petander

Posted: December 30 2003 at 6:00pm | IP Logged Quote Petander

You Gents are right. Exactly the same over here, most urban kids have never got in touch with nature in the first place. People donīt know how to clean a fish or make a goddammit fire without gasoline.

When someone asks about reloading they usually ask "how much cheaper it is?" and when I answer that itīs not my point many folks just donīt get it. I have a weird reputation over here, very few people reload at all -not to mention cast boolits or actually practise. We donīt have those traditions anymore,in the ī50s it was different.

And these laws do not make things easier,you really gotta fight for your rights. Not an easy scenario as a whole, we have talked about this for a decade in our club,how to lure young folks into hunting... I mean, people almost feel GUILTY while going to approve for a gun buying permit.  Whoa. They are so scared of the authorities, man, I hunt with LEOs,they only do their job.

Ahem... it may go both ways but last winter I installed "Deer Hunter" computer game and played it for a while, it was about -30F for three weeks so I spent a lot of time inside.

Edited by Petander on December 30 2003 at 6:04pm
Back to Top View Petander's Profile Search for other posts by Petander Visit Petander's Homepage

Thunder Hunter

Posted: December 30 2003 at 6:23pm | IP Logged Quote Thunder Hunter

Scott, Petander and Paul, I was no SAINT when I was in my 20's, and I can understand what a guy in that age group is doing.  But again; I notice the large absence of the 30 yr. olds to-day in this Hobby. WHY?

Petander

Posted: December 30 2003 at 7:45pm | IP Logged Quote Petander

I really donīt know.

Well,I just put a moose roast in the oven... It actually turns vegetarians into meateaters, hopefully into hunters too lol. 

Back to Top View Petander's Profile Search for other posts by Petander Visit Petander's Homepage

Paul5388

Posted: December 30 2003 at 8:11pm | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

Just to use a personal observation, my son (he's #1 son because he's the only one!) wants me to load some 7mm Mags for him.  So, I asked him, "Do you want some like I loaded for your grandad" (68 gr IMR 4350 with 139 gr bullet, a load extrapolated out of Speer #7 he shot for 35 years in his 1963 700 ADL)?  He said, "No, I just want something faster than a 7X57, not something that will beat me to death"!  The older generation was tougher than my generation and far tougher than the younger ones!  Time in front of the TV is what I attribute the lack of toughness to.

Ranch 13

Posted: December 30 2003 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote Ranch 13

When my #2 son gave me my first computer he had the Cabelas big game hunter on it. You should a heard the fit that thing had when I shot 2 cape buffalo with a 257 Roberts.I thought it was funny  told that knothead that always talks to ya but doesn't answer you that I could do it, they thru me in jail for shooting to many and took away all my points for using to small of a gun.

GUSA #6
http://historicshooting.com/mybb/index.php
Back to Top View Ranch 13's Profile Search for other posts by Ranch 13 Visit Ranch 13's Homepage

Steelhead

Posted: December 31 2003 at 3:31am | IP Logged Quote Steelhead

Thunder Hunter wrote:
Scott, Petander and Paul, I was no SAINT when I was in my 20's, and I can understand what a guy in that age group is doing.  But again; I notice the large absence of the 30 yr. olds to-day in this Hobby. WHY?

Spent some time on this one. 

Most guys that I know, have known, that are big time shooters (more then checking scope before deer season) are reloaders. But I have known some guys that WERE big shooters, but weren't when I knew them. Marriage, 2.5 kids a house note and 2 car payments. Pluse when people are in their 30's they are most likely in a job position that demands more from them. So perhaps that is why you see people missing from it during that time, but when the reach there late 40's or 50's the kids are gone, perhaps the wife, and they have the time and means to do it again.

Also, when I lived in Memphis for a few years, I did VERY little reloading. I knew what worked in my guns and I loaded rounds for them, but didn't shot much. I wasn't even sure where a public range was. So I think many people don't have access to a GOOD range. Since then I have had PRIVATE ranges (as I sit here, I can look 400 yards out the window and see my covered bench). Having my own range (no one else uses it, so I call it mine) allows me plenty of time for experimentation. That is why I have had so many rifles in the past several years and wildcats. When I was a teen, you could go out just about anywhere and shoot, but were I grew up and learned to shoot, there is a housing development there, and EVERYWHERE.

Maybe these are some of the reasons. Not to mention you can get just about every type of bullet in factory ammo today, it wasn't that way 20 years ago.

What do you think?

Edited by Steelhead on December 31 2003 at 3:33am
Back to Top View Steelhead's Profile Search for other posts by Steelhead

Boomer

Posted: December 31 2003 at 5:42am | IP Logged Quote Boomer

Scott;

I think part of the problem is money, as well as range access.

Let's face it, MOST of us originally got into reloading to "save money".  The average 35 year old today can buy what he wants when he wants, and if he cant afford it, VISA can.  Buy now, pay later. Therefore the incentive to save a buck on a box of shells disappears.

Access to a safe place to shoot; i.e. a public range; is gone.  Most ranges within 50 miles of MPLS are private club oriented things.  A 16 year old can't take the ole .22 out on Saturday afternoon and burn up a couple of boxes of shells killing tin cans like we used  to.  And if he did, he'd likely have the cops asking him questions about it before he fired the first 50...

Finally, there's the villification of firearms by the media; Hollywood; and Democrats. If you got a gun, you must be a bad guy; If you belong to the NRA you must be a beer drinkin bigoted WASP who's a sergeant in the local "Militia".  Alot of 30 year olds think a day at the range is terrorist training!

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

<< Prev Page of 73 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version