Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
General Discussion
 Handloads.Com Forum : General Discussion
Subject Topic: Question for EVERYONE - New Member Intro Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Paul5388

Online Status: Offline
Posted: December 31 2003 at 7:48pm | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

I don't know about the saving money reason for getting into reloading.  I forked out $35.00 for my Rock Chucker when I was making about $5/hr.  That's 7 hours of work to pay for it, which was actually pretty high.  I just knew I could build better and more accurate ammo than what I could buy.  After shooting factory 9mm lately, I still know I can do better than what I can buy.

A friend says the problem is L&M disease, people are too Lazy and have too much Money to expend any effort.
Back to Top View Paul5388's Profile Search for other posts by Paul5388 Visit Paul5388's Homepage

cas

Posted: January 01 2004 at 2:42pm | IP Logged Quote cas

I'm 34 years old... I work at a University as a... well lately they say
I'm a carpenter. But what I actually do often runs a real wide range of
things. I don't know when I started handloading, as I've kind of
always done it. I started by popping primers for dad when I was real
little and went on from there. I started loading solo, start to finish
ammo when I was 12-13.

Edited by cas on January 01 2004 at 2:42pm

Savage24.com

Cylindersmith.com
Back to Top View cas's Profile Search for other posts by cas Visit cas's Homepage

twillis

Posted: January 02 2004 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote twillis

45 years old and feeling every bit of it (my plant is coming off of shutdown and anyone in my line of work or maintenance knows that is our busy time). I am a System Administrator here in lovely Danville Va. Been reloading on and off for almost 30 years now.

Terry
Back to Top View twillis's Profile Search for other posts by twillis

BigBlue

Posted: January 02 2004 at 5:33pm | IP Logged Quote BigBlue

As you guys say, the magic just isn't there for a lot of young people. Schools teach them the evil of guns, and guns are always portrayed as tools of violence. Like many of you I've left the cities to get away from that mentality, but I think it still follows you. Working with Boy Scouts, I do my best to educate them about guns and hunting, not to mention living with nature. They still like to get out in the woods, and most love shooting. It's just a matter of getting them the chance to experience things that Mom and Dad don't do with them. We all need to take the lead in educating our young about the things we love. I'm taking them on a winter backpack camping trip next weekend. You want to see the look on some of the Moms and Dads faces when I tell them we're camping in January. I've been doing this for many years, and as cold as the boys get, they still love it. A great way to get them into the outdoors.
Don
Back to Top View BigBlue's Profile Search for other posts by BigBlue

Thunder Hunter

Posted: January 02 2004 at 5:52pm | IP Logged Quote Thunder Hunter

Big Blue I've been talking to a couple of Dealers (Gun Shops) about teaching Handloading once a week, with all the dealers there WORKING TO-GETHER instead of running each other down. They finally agree with that type of format the kids and grown-ups will all learn. This appears to be a Jan. to May PROJECT.

TeddyTwoFire

Posted: January 02 2004 at 9:14pm | IP Logged Quote TeddyTwoFire

Hi everyone my name is Teddy. I'm 36 years old, live in Stanwood WA. I'm a CNC Machinist and enjoy machining at home on the Lathe & Mill. I've been reloading on my Dillon 550b on and off for about a year now.I have much to learn. Today I found Handloads.com and it's GREAT!! Oh yeah I play bass for a rock band, "THE FLICKERS" (second job).
Back to Top View TeddyTwoFire's Profile Search for other posts by TeddyTwoFire

JohnK
Admin Group

Posted: January 02 2004 at 9:44pm | IP Logged Quote JohnK

Welcome Teddy, another (almost) local boy. There seem to be so many of us in the NW it might be worth trying to organize a get together in the summer.

TeddyTwoFire

Posted: January 02 2004 at 10:43pm | IP Logged Quote TeddyTwoFire

Sounds good! I'm game,(just don't shoot me... lol)
Back to Top View TeddyTwoFire's Profile Search for other posts by TeddyTwoFire

dac-ny

Posted: January 03 2004 at 2:59am | IP Logged Quote dac-ny

34 y.o
have wife and 2 sons
was in army x 2 years fresh out of school(17yrs old)was a grunt so i didnt learn much usefull in real life.
im now a 11 year registered nurse in a busy e.r.(not anything like the movie)
worked part time for a gunsmith for 8 years then purchased the shop as a co-owner for about a year(didn't work out the way i planned)lost a good freind of 8 years(guess who?)
now im back to having more time to reload and hunt again...not sure if im happier or not.
been reloading for shotgun,rifle and pistol for about 12 years
took up hunting after getting out of the army thanks to my brother in law(family wasnt into hunting)
was lucky enough to have been on a competition rifle team for six years through high school
that about sums it up ...sorry about the excessive length

Nortonics

Posted: January 03 2004 at 4:06am | IP Logged Quote Nortonics

TeddyTwoFire wrote:
Hi everyone my name is Teddy.

Hahaha - great pic! Love those precision tools, and the bunny ears!

Number77

Posted: January 03 2004 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote Number77

Been busy these past few weeks and just got a chance to catch up on what's going on here. I'd like to add my 2 cents about the lack of participation in hunting and reloading from the younger generation. My observations about why this is happening are the same as many of yours in regards to societal prejudice against the shooting sports, plus the sad fact that most teenagers would rather spend time in front of a TV or computer game than out developing their woodsmanship and hunting skills.

However, I think some of the blame lies with us. I have 3 daughters who truly are not all that interested in hunting, and hunting is the main reason I shoot and reload. But they do have an interest in knowing how to shoot. Nothing fancy, but they like to go out and plink at milk jugs, old bowling pins, spinner targets, etc. They have also shown some interest in reloading the cartriges they use to plink with, though mostly what they enjoy shooting are my .22's and .17HMR.

But on the other hand, I know several men who are avid hunters, and have never taken their young children out hunting, even though the kids had some interest in going. Why? Because they are afraid the kid will fidget too much and scare game away. Because they know the youngster wouldn't or couldn't stay out all day in a tree stand. Because the kid had a game and Dad would rather be hunting than watch a bunch of 10 year olds play a potentially boring basketball game.

Don't get me wrong, I love to hunt as much as anybody, and believe me, I've spent a lot of time sitting in the bleachers at a girl's basketball game wishing I were out hunting. But, God willing, I will have a lot more opportunities to shoot a world-class buck in my life than I will have to watch my kid play the best game of their career.

I know one guy who is a very committed and accomplished deer hunter, and he is really frustrated that his 18 year old son doesn't show any interest in the sport. But in the next breath he said he took his son out once when he was about 8 and it didn't go very well. He never took him out again, saying that he didn't want to waste good hunting time teaching a young kid about hunting. Well, 10 years later, and junior has other interests, and dad can't figure out why.

The other observation I have made (and I'm not making any moral judgments here), is that most of my daughter's friends are the children of divorced parents, and almost all of them are being raised by their mothers. I don't know what the custody arrangments are, but by the time they get into their teens they spend very little time with their fathers. And what I get from talking to these kids is that the reason why is because they have jobs, school activities, and are playing sports. Couple that with the fact that once they get to a certain age they have a natural inclination to spend more time with their friends than with their parents, and unless the non-custodial parent makes a big effort to be involved in their lives, these kids just don't have the time to have much contact with their fathers.

And as a group, women don't participate in the shooting sports, hunting, fishing, and the other outdoor activities that go with that. It still is pretty much a male-dominated environment. So the kids of today are not living in the household with a hunter, shooter, and outdoorsman. As a result the young men of today are spending more time at soccer camp or in front of a video screen than they do in the outdoors.

And finally, even if you do live in a rural area, it's getting harder to find places to hunt and shoot. I am seeing a lot of farms and woods that I used to be able to hunt being sold to outsiders who don't want people to hunt their property, or they are having the hunting rights leased to wealthy businessmen from Chicago or St. Louis. I am not in a position to pay thousands of dollars to lease an 80 acre timber to reserve it for myself as a my own private hunting preserve. Several guys I know have quit hunting all together because they don't have the connections to find a place to hunt. And the penalties in our state for hunting on land that you don't have written permission to hunt are pretty stiff. So that limits our pool of eventual hunters and shooters even more.

I'm sorry this is so long, but I have a concern about the future of our sport, and these comments are more like my 2 dollars worth instead of 2 cents.

Edited by Number77 on January 03 2004 at 9:46am
Back to Top View Number77's Profile Search for other posts by Number77

BigBlue

Posted: January 03 2004 at 5:22pm | IP Logged Quote BigBlue

Number 77,
You may have given us your $2.02 worth, but your points are very valid. This is a hard sport for kids to pick up on their own. My Dad wasn't a shooter or a hunter. Matter of fact, and I'm embarrassed to say this, he's a Democrat. I had to learn it all on my own, without the benefit of adult guidance. It may explain why I gravitate to forums like this, where I can learn from those that have had more and better experience than me. I took up shooting as soon as I was old enough to buy my own gun. At home, Dad wouldn't have allowed it, but I left home at 17 and a year later was buying my own guns and started asking questions of those that I knew that did hunt. Reloading was a read and try process for me, and my learning experience has continued for the last 25 years.
Don

BigBlue

Posted: January 03 2004 at 5:27pm | IP Logged Quote BigBlue

Thunder Hunter wrote:
Big Blue I've been talking to a couple of Dealers (Gun Shops) about teaching Handloading once a week, with all the dealers there WORKING TO-GETHER instead of running each other down. They finally agree with that type of format the kids and grown-ups will all learn. This appears to be a Jan. to May PROJECT.

Jerry,
You have given me some food for thought. I'll talk to my fellow Boy Scout leaders, and see if they agree that a reloading class may be of interest to the Scouts. Most of the boys with me do hunt, and they would probably enjoy it. If any of them show a real interest after the one class, I could take them for more lessons. Thanks for the idea.
Don

Don

Handgunr

Posted: January 03 2004 at 7:46pm | IP Logged Quote Handgunr

Don,
And now you're a two fisted drinkin', gun totin', cussin' on Sundays, Republican......hehehehe

Fun ain't it ????

Bob

oldthunder

Posted: January 04 2004 at 8:33pm | IP Logged Quote oldthunder

51 years old, live in Hardin County Texas (that's in the SE part of the state). Been working at mother BigOil's Beaumont Refinery for 26 years currently in Process Safety Management. Shipyard welder before that. Married 30 years, two daughters who aint skeered of guns and eat all my venison. Gotta get a lock for that freezer one day. Hunt mostly in Nacogdoches County. Santa brought me a Raging Bull in .480 so I started reloading last week. I've had the equipment for a while but no one to teach me except brothers in law and I aint gonna ask them for nothing! So I taught myself instead of paying $1+ per shot. I didnt realize how easy it is to reload. And I didnt realize how many variables you can deal with when you start digging into it. Looks like a challenging hobby I can sink my teeth into. Been saving 30-06 brass for 25 years and that's a bunch! Love to hunt in the fall and winter, salt water fish in the spring and summer. Bang around in the old CJ5 all the time. Best friend is a 3-legged pit bull named Sadie Mae. This is a great forum and y'all can be expecting a bunch of questions.
-Dean McClelland
Back to Top View oldthunder's Profile Search for other posts by oldthunder

wolfdog

Posted: January 04 2004 at 8:44pm | IP Logged Quote wolfdog

Humph, I'm 25 reloading for two or three years, play video games, hunt, fish, know the term Keith belongs to a shooting god. My parents didn't do any hunting. And I know plenty of others my age who do the same. We just stay quiet, and sit in a corner, and don't tell anyone. You see, reloading is seen as redneck and uneducated, and few people of my generation consider those things a plus. But don't worry, we are out here. We vote, teach our kids about firearms safty, know about casting, and have been feeding on your knollege for quite some time. I like diablo 2 on weekends, but I also choose to live in the middle of nowhere so I can shoot in my back yard. I got a lantern and tent for xmas, and a pigeon thrower, I shot a case of 12guage shells, and a case of pigeons, so we are a tough enough generation. Now, if u will excuse me, I have to go watch some reality tv, and make my BI!!!-anual donation to the rosie odonel fan club.   
Back to Top View wolfdog's Profile Search for other posts by wolfdog

BigBoreWizard

Posted: January 04 2004 at 11:36pm | IP Logged Quote BigBoreWizard

Hi all, This has turned out to be quite the thread. Wolfdog, I do not agree with the "Redneck" or uneducated thing you spoke of. Thats OK, its your opinion and I respect that. Here's my opinion. I see it as the opposite. Most younger folks that might be interested in reloading dont know anyone that does, or if they do, that person has better things to do than show them how its done. I have met lots and lots of folks that have reloaded for several years, that have a way about them that comes off like their better than me, because im young, and havent much time in reloading. They would much rather talk to someone who knows something about it than have to explain. This attitude leads alot of younger people into shying away, and giving up on the idea of reloading. I think that anyone stating that its redneck to reload. really wishes he or she knew more about it, but has no one to share their knowledge, and there for they BUCK it. Just stating its Redneck is uneducated by itself. As you fellas know already im 29 years old. I grew up without a father. Did not even meet him until I was 16 years old. From as far back as I can remember, I have always been bitten by the gun bug. My mother hated them, but that did not stop me. I finally became old enough to own one, and did, and several others for that matter. It is the one thing in my entire life that ive never gotten tired of, and not to brag, but a fairly good shot as well. It has only been recently that ive had the meens, and time to take it a step further into reloading. The sad fact is that it hard to find anyone willing to take the time to show you the ways, and the tricks. Thats why I ended up here. The knowledge that you older gents have shared , and a few younger fella's to. Has been invaluable to me. When I shut my mouth and learn I learn alot here. So I can assure you fellas are helping keep this great sport going with this Forum. I know that my knowledge will be passed to my children without a doubt. So maybe the next time you meet some kid in the gun shop with questions. Awnser them! Thanks John for this forum, and thank you all for your knowledge and for putting up with me. Take care-BBW. P.S. Yeah, a lot of kids are relly lazy these days to.
Back to Top View BigBoreWizard's Profile Search for other posts by BigBoreWizard

Steelhead

Posted: January 05 2004 at 4:55am | IP Logged Quote Steelhead

The other kicker with the "new" generation. So many kids are being raised by only their mother. Certainly less then ideal for a 15 year old boy. If I had a problem with someone at school my fathers advice would be to give the kind a warning, that if you don't leave me alone we will fight. If he kept up my father said slug him. I doubt a mother would tell that to a 12 year old boy.

Too many single families, and too dang many people living on top of one another in the cities. I am glad I will not be around 100 years from now.
Back to Top View Steelhead's Profile Search for other posts by Steelhead

szihn

Posted: January 05 2004 at 7:24am | IP Logged Quote szihn

I am a full time gunsmith, and I specialize in high grade muzzleloaders. (but I've have done about everything in gunsmithing at one time or another.) I am 47 years old and I started reloading when I was 12. I have been a hunter all my life, and was a guied for several years.
Back to Top View szihn's Profile Search for other posts by szihn

wolfdog

Posted: January 05 2004 at 8:26am | IP Logged Quote wolfdog

LOl, don't worry, no offence taken at the "redneck" comment, I actualy mostly agree with u. It was just a specific situation I encountered. A higher-up saying ah, u reload, hunt, fish, real redneck huh. Then proceded to tell me it was ok, the millitary is great for average intelegence people!!!! Me....average, lol, I am quite insulted. Guess it left a sore spot. I never had a father, so I don't think that explains it. I think it's just a matter of individual taiste. I think that there are more people following in your footsteps than u think.
Back to Top View wolfdog's Profile Search for other posts by wolfdog

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

<< Prev Page of 73 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version