Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
General Discussion
 Handloads.Com Forum : General Discussion
Subject Topic: Question for EVERYONE - New Member Intro Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
wolfdog

Online Status: Offline
Posted: January 05 2004 at 8:27am | IP Logged Quote wolfdog

LOl, don't worry, no offence taken at the "redneck" comment, I actualy mostly agree with u. It was just a specific situation I encountered. A higher-up saying ah, u reload, hunt, fish, real redneck huh. Then proceded to tell me it was ok, the millitary is great for average intelegence people!!!! Me....average, lol, I am quite insulted. Guess it left a sore spot. I never had a father, so I don't think that explains it. I think it's just a matter of individual taiste. I think that there are more people following in your footsteps than u think.
Back to Top View wolfdog's Profile Search for other posts by wolfdog

buddy little

Posted: January 07 2004 at 1:31am | IP Logged Quote buddy little

My grandfather taught me to shoot and bought me my first rifle(a Remington .22 autoloader) when I was 4.5 years old. I have loved shooting ever since. My mother and father are anti gun, so I couldn't buy any more guns while living at home. Married at 24, now 56, and I have sure tried to make up for lost time. Love reloading and teaching shooting safety. I taught the Virginia hunters safety course before retiring and moving to Minnesota. It has been my pleasure to introduce numerous people to safe shooting, and quite a few of them to reloading. I have helped many people select guns. and taught them how to safely use them. Life sure is fun when you help others. Buddy Little
Back to Top View buddy little's Profile Search for other posts by buddy little

IAnimrod

Posted: January 07 2004 at 10:02am | IP Logged Quote IAnimrod

I'm 43, have been loading for 3 years, hunting since I was 12 and run an Air and Water Treatment company. I understand the comments abbout women and shooting, but when I took my wife out to shoot for the first time, I was shocked and dismayed when she promptly put 10 shots into the 3"x5" label of a 5 gallon can I figured would make a good first target.(Ruger Standard .22 Auto) I guess she showed me. I was equally shocked when my mother-in-law started oohing and aahing when I showed her my 7x57 Brazilian Mauser. Seems she had learned to shoot them and a .38 handgun at a self-defense course for the wives of para-military anti-guerrilla officers in Malaysia. My wife grew up carrying her father's Sterling submachine gun for him as he returned from patrol. I will NEVER underestimate those formidable women again...lol

IAnimrod

Posted: January 07 2004 at 10:05am | IP Logged Quote IAnimrod

I just had a thought (I know, it shocked me, too) that about 98% of the work done in this country is done by "average" people and I'd guess about 98% of the game is taken with "average" guns...so maybe "average" isn't so bad after all.

Jonmagiman
Newcomer

Posted: January 07 2004 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote Jonmagiman

I am 32, a paramedic in SE Wisconsin on the IL border. Just started to reload. Have always had the intrest but did not know how to start. I have been shooting since I was 12 and hunting since 14. Just got a 480 Ruger SRH 7.5" and found that it is not readally available in diffrent types of loads. I got a Lee turret press for Christmas and found this wonderful web site shortly after, learning everyday thanks for all the help.

Back to Top View Jonmagiman's Profile Search for other posts by Jonmagiman

Flint

Posted: January 08 2004 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote Flint

Hey guys,
I've been on vacation without benefit of a computer so I'm a little out of touch. Anyway, I'm 47 years old. Wife, two teenaged sons, a Jack Russel Terrorist and 3 worthless cats. I'm an assistant director of a university printing department here in Kansas. Been reloading and casting bullets for about 20 years. When I'm not shooting, hunting or reloading I like to design and build Japanese style gardens, carve stone basins, lanterns and sculpture for them. I also do some woodworking (just made a new set of grips for my BH). But mostly I love to shoot and hunt deer with handguns.
Flint
Back to Top View Flint's Profile Search for other posts by Flint

hummer

Posted: January 08 2004 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote hummer

Hello all....Have been loading since 1998 when I took up big game hunting. It was a lot cheaper loading your own. I was a Highway Construction Surveyor, then Highway Construction Inspector and a then switched to be a Highway Traffic Technician. I retired in fall of 1999 after 31 years ...I am now 53.
Back to Top View hummer's Profile Search for other posts by hummer

Handgunr

Posted: January 09 2004 at 4:50am | IP Logged Quote Handgunr

Geeesh Flint,
After reading the things that you do and the creative culture involved there, I'm jealous.
Since I've retired, about the only thing "creative" I do, is trying to scratch myself without anyone seeing.
"Covert Itching 101"

Never mind.....too early in the AM
Bob

hummer

Posted: January 09 2004 at 7:59am | IP Logged Quote hummer

Handgunr...

I retired early because money isn't everything...health is. Money is useless if you are to sick to enjoy it...why pay the doctors! I stepped back and looked at the others working until they dropped so they can have a load of $ when they retire....most died a year or 2 later.   They had a chance to retire early but decided not to.

My father died 1 year after retiring at age 66 that was the old way of doing it.....that wasn't going to happen to me.   I may not be rich in my retirement but i pay the bills and have lots left over to play with. Tavelling?..who wants to travel out of the country..especially the way things are now???? You must keep busy at sometyhing you enjoy...that is what retirement is all about or the reaper will catch up to you...... the trick is to stay ahead of him by looking after yourself and keeping busy.

Edited by hummer on January 09 2004 at 8:00am

Handgunr

Posted: January 09 2004 at 8:37am | IP Logged Quote Handgunr

Hummer,
Well the health theory was all shot to hell because I retired on a disability after a young kid hit me head on while investigating a car accident involving a young girl. Broke my neck and tore up my spine and hip. Even though I made it back to work several months later, I ran into another mishap during a post-tornado cleanup 9 yrs. later.
Re-injured my neck and spine again putting the old KO' on my 18 1/2 yr. law enforcement career.
I agree with what you said on other guys working, and then seemingly dying within a year or two of retirement. I don't understand why that is so often the case, but it must be the transition to a more sendentary lifestyle.......? Don't know. I believe that this trend will change in the future due to the fact that our father's did a lot of "back breaking" work. The transition to a lighter lifestyle was more of a shock, I think. Maybe a diet change as well. Nowadays, I think that the average worker doesn't have to work half as hard, but that's just a thought.
My physical health is so-so, but it apparently is bad enough to prevent anyone from hiring me. Neurologically fragile, I guess. Symptoms are like MS somewhat. (Real fun trying to shoot sometimes.) So now, I keep as busy as is physically comfortable. Shooting, casting & reloading fills my time pretty well. I'm only 46, and I could've retired regularly in 2003, to be able to go on to another career, but now I deal with things as they come. I was looking at retiring around 50-55, but that decision was made for me.
Sh*t Happens, I guess.

Take care,
Bob

PS-Quit sending us that "artic air" will ya ?      

Edited by Handgunr on January 09 2004 at 8:47am

hummer

Posted: January 09 2004 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote hummer

handgunr...
Sorry to hear of your accident. While I was doing a traffic study in '99 i was hit by a speeder on an off ramp and injuryed my neck and back ...lucky I wasn't killed...(that was the the one that made me decide to retire.)..i was off for 2 months with therapy ..... more coming in the future. So I took early retirement with a diability pension as well rather than suffer for the next few years after returning to work.   You are right s##t happens and you must carry on and not think about the decision you made.
Good luck!   Happy shooting!
Werner

Handgunr

Posted: January 09 2004 at 9:10am | IP Logged Quote Handgunr

Hummer,
Thanks for the thought....from someone who's been there and done that........
Best part, I guess, is that it allows us to be here and shoot the breeze in between shooting and loading !

Take care,
Bob

dac-ny

Posted: January 10 2004 at 3:48am | IP Logged Quote dac-ny

handgunr
i work in a busy er(about 45000)patients a year. been here about 11 years and i just had a thought about your easier life style/live longer comment. i think its making the population weaker and fatter(i think the populations obesity rate is multiplying faster than the population growth)people dont have to plow fields or split their firewood etc. they have cushy desk jobs.and i dont recall too many burgerkings and macdonalds restaurants(if you dare call them restaurants) back in 1950. plus we are teaching people how to live of medicaid and work the system(sorry, that wasnt a poke at the disabled but at the lazy people who figured out at 20 years old that they dont have to lift a finger and can money from the gov't.) so i dont think with all the unhealthy people turning up in my hospital you wont be seeing the national death average going up or the national retirement average going down(because i have to work to support them until a year before i die.)

Tony Mig

Posted: January 10 2004 at 4:21am | IP Logged Quote Tony Mig

Since I'm new to this forum, I guess I'll answer the original question about who I'am......

Name here {obviously} is Tony, the "Mig" part is short for a 10 digit Eyetalian last name that most of you wouldn't be able to pronounce.....(most telemarketers can't)

I live at the Southern New Jersey seashore...(very close to Atlantic City)...or as I like to call this state..."The Democratic People's Republic of New Jersey"

I'm a professional Fire Fighter / EMT, and I also work a second job driving a home heating oil tank truck, and installing HVAC systems.

I like to reffer to myself as a "Born Again Shooter" because I was very much into shooting several years ago, but certain circumstances kept me from enjoying the sport until this past summer when I got back into it. I have a prefferance towards wheel guns mainly in .38/.357 Magnum caliber, but plan to add something in a .44 Magnum soon.

As for reloading....I just got into it, I recently purchased the Lee Anniversary reloading kit, a set of Carbide .38/.357 dies, a 158 Gr. 2 cavity bullet mold (TL-SWC), a can of Bullseye, CCI primers, and I've already managed to reload 50 rounds of .38 Spl's, and 50 rounds of .357 Magnum's, but it's too cold outside to test them out yet.....

I like this forum, you guys are a wealth of knowledge, and I hope to pick a few brains here, and learn from the pro's......

/\
((
-----------v-

Back to Top View Tony Mig's Profile Search for other posts by Tony Mig

joed

Posted: January 10 2004 at 7:35am | IP Logged Quote joed

Well, the reson I got into reloading was the caliber I had. Originally I got started ground hog hunting in OH. I bought a Rem 700 VS in 25-06 caliber and there were very few places to buy ammo other then a gunshop. It really wasn't a caliber that you could walk into Kmart and ammo for.   For that reason and the fact that I could load cheaper I started loading.

I really don't think reloading is dying off.   What I think is happening is the components just aren't carried as much in stores.   

When I think back on reloading 25 years ago there were many times where I wanted a powder and it wasn't available anywhere I went. Things haven't changed much in that respect. I still find myself running all over town for primers or a powder that no one has.

The only place that carries a lot of components at fair prices is a 100 mile trip for me.
Back to Top View joed's Profile Search for other posts by joed

Handgunr

Posted: January 10 2004 at 8:42am | IP Logged Quote Handgunr

dac-ny,
Yes, you have some good points there, but nothing "makes" the population fatter, or lazier, it's themselves and their attitudes.
I came from a farm family and I was never afraid of good physical work. Like I've mentioned before, I couldn't afford a new house already built, so I built my own, doing it all myself. I was never afraid to do a hard days work. But with the advent of all the new technologies and everything, life is getting easier. Some people look at that as though they can take things easy. They can really in a way, but they have to take care of themselves and excersize never the less.
This is something other than what I was referring to, but is a good point in any event.
You still had "freeloaders" bilking the system back in the 50's, but they weren't as predominant as they are today. It's gotten a lot easier with the programs available.
But one thing about hard workers, in relation to living longer, not necessarily so. Both my father and step father were extremely hard workers, and they both died at 60yoa. My stepfathers brothers (same farm family) were stocky strong bull workers all their lives, and they're now physically suffering from all that back breaking work.
Remember that old saying "the candle that burns twice as bright, burns half as long". Well, that's what I was really referring to, but your point is a good one, and well taken.
Things are getting easier, but that doesn't necessarily mean lazier. That's up to the individual's decision.
I don't take offense to what people think (not referring to you) regarding their definition of whether one person is disabled over another. To look at me, you'd think I was fine. But, underneath it's another story. And I think that it was because I was in such good physical condition at the time I was injured, that I'm still alive today and not dead.
I'll take the disability and deal with it. The powers that be wouldnt let me work, and I tried to start my own business, but I needed capital to get that going. Couldn't get that either.....Catch 22.
Your point was well taken, and I agree. But I think that the issue that you had brought up is more one of an individual choice, and it seems to be one that a lot of lazier types are grasping to get that "free ride" in life.
I know some pretty healthy looking folks that are still getting that free ride though. It's just that usually the one's that desire that style of living, are the same one's that don't have the ambition to get off the couch, I agree there as well.

Oh well, they usually get the message, but it's always "a day late & a dollar short".
Usually, that dollar is yours or mine though!

Bob

Edited by Handgunr on January 10 2004 at 8:52am

Striker
Newcomer

Posted: January 10 2004 at 4:37pm | IP Logged Quote Striker

I am 51 years old.Been reloading for 33 years.I work as a maintenance machinist.Shoot 221 Fireball and 45-70 the most.Have the Fireball in a xp-100 and a 700.The 45-70 is in a Marlin guide gun and a Ruger No.3.Shoot alot of cast bullets.
Back to Top View Striker's Profile Search for other posts by Striker

dac-ny

Posted: January 11 2004 at 1:22am | IP Logged Quote dac-ny

handgunr
we're on the same page.
thanks

Handgunr

Posted: January 11 2004 at 6:10am | IP Logged Quote Handgunr

Striker,
Welcome..............lot's of reloading makes for good character

Bob

RCHanlin

Posted: January 11 2004 at 6:58am | IP Logged Quote RCHanlin

Hey guys.. I'm rather new to the forum concept but, here goes... I'm 44,an Electronics Systems Mechanic (27 years).. Been shooting/collecting/reloading for the past 20 yrs..I've got an C&R FFL which was a must to facilitate my collecting hunger for old military weapons. I also dabble a bit in the restoration/gunsmithing end: cold blueing,stock refinishing etc... I also have (to my wifes dismay) an extensive collection of modern firearms.. Have to keep up with the jones's ( and the smith and wesson's)..
Back to Top View RCHanlin's Profile Search for other posts by RCHanlin

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

<< Prev Page of 73 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version